commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Rating - 100%
22   0   1
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
Well, as it's mid-December, I'm looking to get some funds for Christmas shopping, and I haven't been using this machine, really (I originally bought it for an attempt at switching to Linux, but that was utterly abortive.) And I thought I recalled some folks around here looking for one...

This is the last model of the Power Mac G5, a dual-processor dual-core (or, for simplicity's sake, quad-core) machine, with all cylinders firing at 2.5GHz. Never tried much under OSX, but during my Linux attempt I ran POVRay 2.7 on it, and it's quite a beast, for the time. It takes DDR2 RAM, which is nice (following the standard/arcane Mac restraints on organization, though,) and currently has 4GB across four of the eight slots. It's got a 250GB SATA 1.5GB/s hard drive with MacOS 10.4.11 with all the updates. Also included is the power cord, which is something different than your standard computer power cord (Apple says this is due to high load requirements, not sure if it's an industrial connector, or just some proprietary bullcrap.) Everything is in good condition; the paint on the case is nicked and scuffed here and there, but everything's intact and un-dented.

You have your choice of one of three different video cards for it. Currently installed is a 256MB Radeon X1900 Mac Edition, which seems to be about the nicest piece of graphics hardware available for the thing. I also have a 256MB GeForce 7800 GT, and the pack-in 256MB GeForce 6600. Each of these has their own advantages: the GeForce cards are the only ones that will (currently) work in PPC Linux, as the Radeon Mac Edition has some kind of weird something-or-other preventing it from doing KMS, the Radeon is a nicer card if you're only going to be using OSX, and the 6600, while it's the weakest of the bunch, is passively cooled and therefore quieter. Personally I'd recommend the Radeon, but it's up to you.

So what I'm doing is, I'm selling the computer with the buyer's choice of video card (which means the buyer has first dibs) for $300, and the other two video cards for $50 apiece.

Be warned! This thing is a bit of a beast in both weight and volume! I can pack it in a smaller box than the one I got it in, but that won't have all the foam inserts and wiggle room, so I wouldn't recommend it. I'll work out an international shipping quote for anyone interested, but I wouldn't bother unless you've got cash to burn.

Anyone interested?

Update: now listed on several other forums.

Last edited:
I hate to mention what Fed Ex just charged me for shipping mine from Baltimore to Canada 4 days. it was a killer. The cards look tempting though mine just came with a Nvidia 5200. I am thinking...are these AGP?, because the newer ones had PCIx. should check the Mactracker App i have.

Update: the Mac, the GeForce 7800, and the Radeon are all sold. The 6600's still available, if anyone wants a spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom