Review: Micromys Mouse Adapter

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone!

I recently broke down and purchased an Individual Computers Micromys Mouse Adapter to use on both my Amigas and my Commodore 64s and I wanted to give a quick review of the product.

I purchased this device from Red's Retro Computing eBay store and received it much quicker than I would have through some of the other stores that carry it (Vesalia, AmigaKit, etc) because Red is located in the U.S. I had some troubles with the adapter on my C64 (see below) and Red worked with me through e-mail to troubleshoot the issue. Unfortunately, he has still not left me feedback on eBay. :(

I hooked up a Microsoft USB Optical Mouse to this device with a USB to PS/2 adapter, set the switches on the Micromys to the Amiga settings then plugged it in. The mouse worked perfectly on the first try! No configuration necessary. The Micromys also supports the scroll wheel on the Amiga using drivers but I did not test this functionality.

I next hooked up the same mouse to my Commodore 128. Unfortunately, things did not go nearly as smooth as I would have liked. The first problem was that the connector is large and will not plug directly into Port 1 on a C128 because it hits the molded plastic on the case. The only way to use the device in Port 1 on the C128 is by using another cable in between the computer and the Micromys adapter. This simple fact is what caused most of my problems.

Undaunted, I plugged the Micromys into Port 2 and started testing. I use a Final Cartridge 3, which has a built-in desktop that will use a Commodore 1351 mouse so this was the first thing I tried. The mouse worked and I was able to click on menus, but the cursor jumped all over the screen as I moved. I next tried a program called Art Studio 1351 and the mouse worked until I clicked a button then it stopped working altogether. Finally, I tried the 1351 Test/Demo disk and the mouse did nothing at all.

Well, after multiple e-mails with Red, I pulled out a C64 and tried the mouse in Port 1. Everything worked flawlessly! I ended up buying some Joystick Extension Cables on eBay then used one of those in between Port 1 on my C128 and the Micromys and everything worked there as well. I tried the 1350 mode (hold down the right mouse button while turning on the computer), but I couldn't get it to do anything. I'll have to find the 1350 Mouse manual to figure out how to use it in that mode.

Mircomys Pros:
Can be used with Commodore 64, Amiga and Atari Computers
Allows you to use inexpensive PS/2 or USB Mice (Using a PS/2 Adapter) on your retro computers
Gives you scroll wheel functionality on your Amiga
Works great!

Micromys Cons:
Absolutely no instructions or drivers are included
Expensive - You could buy quite a few Amiga mice for the cost of this adapter
Does not fit into Port 1 on the C128

Please let me know if there are any Pros or Cons I missed. All-in-all, the device is expensive but works on all my retro Commodore gear. I'm very happy with my purchase.

:thumbsup2:

Thanks!

Heather

Re: Review: Micromys Mouse Adapter

Thanks for the review Heather :D

I'd forgotten how much I hate ball mice and have been thinking about getting an adaptor, that was very useful.

Steve

thanks for the review!!
does it allow you to get to the early startup screen on the miggy, is it also useable in games? or does it need the drivers loaded in WB?

cheers, JuvUK

JuvUK said:
thanks for the review!!
does it allow you to get to the early startup screen on the miggy, is it also useable in games? or does it need the drivers loaded in WB?

cheers, JuvUK

drivers are only needed for wheelmouse and extra keys support in wb... the amiga will always think there is a 2-button mouse connected and you can use it from cold boot in startup menu , games , everywhere (y)

Thanks for the info, Heather.
I'm considering getting one of these myself, as I now have towered my A1200 and would love to use it on my KVM (once I get an IndiVision scan-doubler as well)

Would you recommend the Micromys Mouse Adaptor? or would you recommend an alternative product (if such thing exists)?

@All

Keropi is quite correct. The Amiga treats the Micromys as a standard 2 button Amiga mouse without installing any drivers. That means you can hold down both mouse buttons to get the pre-boot screen and play any game just as you would with a regular mouse.

I would definitely recommend this device for anyone who wants to ditch their ball mice in favor of a optical mouse. I know there are other devices which will do the same thing but, since I have not used them, I don't know if they work as well or better.

@Hessu

Thanks! I did not realize there was a support page for the adapter. That's what happens when directions are not sent with the device! I'm downloading the drivers now.

I'm glad everyone found the information useful! I would love to see more reviews on other devices that allow you to do more with your retro gear.

Take care,

Heather

I've also been thinking of getting an optical mouse working with my A1200, so I will definitely look into this some more.

@Heather Would you mind if I used your little review on classicamiga in our hardware section? Would you be able to take a couple of pictures of the adaptor on its own, and connected up?

Please feel free to use my review wherever you like. I wanted everyone to benefit from my experience with the adapter so the more people who see it, the better. I'll try to take some pictures of it this evening and add them to this post.

Thanks!

Heather

Micromys V4

Micromys V4

Just purchased one of the V4 adapters from Amigakit. It won't work with my auto mouse/joystick switcher but does work as a normal mouse at switch on with a optical mouse I plugged in, haven't got the wheel working yet though, need to install the drivers. It sure is better than using a ball mouse, but it's a pity it wont work with the mouse/joystick switch!

Just purchased one of the V4 adapters from Amigakit. It won't work with my auto mouse/joystick switcher but does work as a normal mouse at switch on with a optical mouse I plugged in, haven't got the wheel working yet though, need to install the drivers. It sure is better than using a ball mouse, but it's a pity it wont work with the mouse/joystick switch!
With this the autoswitch will work with Micromys:
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=961

Back
Top Bottom