Review: The Super EverDrive

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
The Super EverDrive: A Quick Overview

Like the Everdrive MD we started off with a 2GB card formated for FAT, and placed files from the ROM collections of the Super Nintendo ES on the card.

The unit worked straight away Super Mario World!

DSP enabled Games

As you may know DSP enabled titles require a DSP to work, now there are not many of these titles that use a DSP - so before I throw up a list, here is what the DSP is all about-

The DSP is a family series of fixed-point digital signal processor chips, which allowed for fast vector-based calculations, bitmap conversions, both 2D and 3D coordinate transformations, and other functions.

Interestingly four revisions of the chip exist, while each are physically identical they do have different microcode.

The DSP-1
This is the most varied and widely used of the SNES DSPs, appearing in 15 separate titles. It is used as a math coprocessor in games such as Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings that require more advanced Mode 7 scaling and rotation. It also provides fast support for the floating point and trigonometric calculations needed by 3D math algorithms. The later DSP-1A and DSP-1B serve the same purpose as the DSP-1, however, several bugs were corrected in these later chips.

The DSP-2
This can only be found in the SNES port of Dungeon Master. Its primary purpose is to convert Atari ST bitmap image data into the SNES bitplane format. It also provides dynamic scaling capability and transparency effects.

The DSP-3
Assistant chip used in only one game for the Japanese Super Famicom, a turn-based strategy game titled SD Gundam GX. The chip assisted with tasks like calculating the next AI move, Shannon-Fano bitstream decompression, and bitplane conversion of graphics.

The DSP-4
A DSP used in only one game cartridge, Top Gear 3000. It primarily helped out with drawing the race track, especially during the times that the track branched into multiple paths.

So now you know =)

Now here is a list of DSP-1 enabled titles - if you have a DSP-1 enabled EverDrive you will be able to play you ROM backups on this card -

(click here for a list of games)

Play Time
heres a shot of Sonic the Hedge Hog on the Nintendo SNES

(click to zoom)

Interestingly this is a hacked "speedy gonzalas'" with a Sonic Sprite and he has been given the power to kick too... (for more info read up here)

And the most awesome Super EverDrive

(click to zoom)

Please note the way round the card is orientated - otherwise you could damge you equipment and the everdrive!

Upgrading the OS on your Super EverDrive
Now, like the EverDrive MD initiall the OS is FAT 16, however when an update is available to allow for FAT32 and thus taking full advantage of 4GB+ SDHC cards - you can download this from here

Unfornately I would normally offer my help in upgrading these before shipping, however 1. The new OS is in the process of being written and that 2. I don't have a SNES available for the task =(

Upgrading you Super EverDrive to a DSP everdrive
It is entirely possible to upgrade your SuperEverDrive to DSP-1 EverDrive, you will need a DSP-1 chip, which you can scavenge from a DSP-1 SNES game and a 74HCU04N (CMOS Si -Gate Hex invertor) - quite cheap and easy to get hold of... as well as a couple of sundry discrete components.
You can Upgrade you

Games Region
We loaded up an NTSC region ROM of Street fighter on the Super EverDrive and surprisingly after telling us it was not for the SNES we are playing on - it allowed r0jaws to continue to play on - Choosing Blanka he began to take on Guile.... Unfortunately for r0jaws Guile decided to pummel Blanka into the next centuary.... it wasn't pretty.... I am noticing a patern with r0jaws and fighting games ;)

Anyway after the epic battle (of fail) the game then decided to sit on the This is not the right region screen - and wouldn't let r0jaws play any more - obviously disgusted with his button bashing is my theory ;)

So where does the fun end?
However there is only one small problem, (other than finding the time to play all these awesome games) and that is the region problem, So you will need to look at modifying your console(s) for proper region free-ing

I would suggest to anyone at this point to review www.mmmonkey.co.uk, particularly the SNES console ;D - they are very easy to follow guides and prove most awesome indeed - especially the switchless mods (based on a PIC)

So whats the score?

All in all I would give the Super EverDrive a 8/10 Super-Stars!

It does exactly what it says on the tin, it provides a mass game library in one simple cartridge, reducing the space needed to have everything in the front room! it also gives you the opportunity like we did and play ROM's that were never released. This would get 9 superstars the moment there is an SDHC software update (y)

All in all I would give the DSP-1 EverDrive a 9/10 Super-Stars!

Again it does all that the Super EverDrive does, however it also plays those extra 15 titles or more - so thats a great little bonus, considering that some of these titles are quite high-profile releases like Mario Cart and Super Metroid
All in all having tried out one of these monsters it has left me wanting one as well LOL.... oh well - next group buy then....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonic on the SNES... BLASPHEMY!

...It's almost as bad as Sonic and Mario at the Olympics! :roll:

Back
Top Bottom