Review: The Shadow Of The Third Moon

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
The shadow of the third moon (from now on sottm) is basically a 3d flight simulation for the Amiga.

does anyone remember Comanche on the PC?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usj17cxSCKs

well this looks and feels just like that game.

Graphics are awesome for an Amiga game and on an 060 with rtg it simply zooms along, the game uses Uses 3dTIS (Three Dimensional Terrain Imaging System) or voxel 3d (didn't think I'd ever be typing that again)

game requirements are

Required:4Mb Fast RAM
Hard Drive
CD Drive
Recommended:040+
8Mb Fast RAM
Multiscan/VGA Monitor
GFX Card

sound is pretty basic but certainly passable:nod:

it is more arcade like than simulation and there are plenty of missions to keep you going for a while

the mouse control system is nice and smooth as well

for me this was like playing a new game on the Amiga and it shows how much more the Amiga had left in it:(

some game play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGz7D20bxFU

I'd rate this at 8/10(y)

Attachments

• sottm8.jpg
    sottm8.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 5
  • sottm7.jpg
    sottm7.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 8
  • sottm6.jpg
    sottm6.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 6
  • sottm5.jpg
    sottm5.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 7
  • sottm4.jpg
    sottm4.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 5
  • sottm3.jpg
    sottm3.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 5
  • sottm2.jpg
    sottm2.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 5
  • sottm.jpg
    sottm.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 5
Nice one bud, I have this game somewhere I really should get it out and play it :)

PS: turn the camera flash off next time :p

It looks pretty cool, though I noticed that the gameplay video on youtube looked a bit choppy. Is that just the recording or was the Amiga config not quite up to snuff?

Also, just a comment about the "SOUND" screenshot. I'm glad they believe that the Amiga rules and I agree, however, it would have been nice to use a picture of an actual Amiga for that screen instead of what looks like an IBM PS1. :Doh:

I like that font they use a lot too! :cool:

Ummm, is the 030 recommended or will it play on my humble cd32? If it does, I imagine it'd be a slideshow, but worth trying :LOL:

will it play on my humble cd32?

I dont think so Gouldin, worth a try though! This was a game that really pushed miggy hardware to its limits, its fast 030 and above territory I am afraid. Even then it was a bit choppy in places as I recall. With 060 power however, then it truly flies.

Was this the only voxel based game ever on the miggy?

A great game! I played this when it came out, might have to look out for another copy.

Good review Justin (y)

i havent seen this one for years,im going to see if i can get it somehow.

Ummm, is the 030 recommended or will it play on my humble cd32? If it does, I imagine it'd be a slideshow, but worth trying :LOL:

The game requires at least 68EC030/40, 1Mb chip (free) & 4Mb Fast. Doubtfully it will work on a plain CD32.

BTW: it requires at least 13Mb of HD space...

Back
Top Bottom