question A4000

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
My amiga 4000 arrived today :)

Had another post with some questions, well answered.

They guy who sold the monitor sold also a monitor, but I did not want it, because I do not like the Amiga monitors.

In the future I will have some extra $$ to expand.

Now I realise that the A4000 is missing the TV connector :Doh:

Or is the signal on the monitor fiche.

I only have a tft television with scart and vga, but I remember that the VGA does not accept amiga modes.. :Doh:

My amiga 4000 arrived today :)

Had another post with some questions, well answered.

They guy who sold the monitor sold also a monitor, but I did not want it, because I do not like the Amiga monitors.

In the future I will have some extra $$ to expand.

Now I realise that the A4000 is missing the TV connector :Doh:

Or is the signal on the monitor fiche.

I only have a tft television with scart and vga, but I remember that the VGA does not accept amiga modes.. :Doh:

Quickest solution to getting up-and-running is to buy an Amiga to SCART cable. I think there's someone on here selling one. If not, I might have a spare, I'll have to take a look.

You don't like Amiga monitors (!?!?!), but till you get something better (via a Zorro gfx card), you have to stick with them (via the RGB connector).

yes, an Amiga SCART cable is your only option for now, unless you invest in an Indivision AGA 4000 scandoubler/flickerfixer (wich u can use it combined with a zorro RTG card)...

txs

txs

ok, will order the cable at vesalia.de. Does this means that there is no dual display? (one for games) and one for workbench?

I saw a vga card for sale here, do not know if it is still available. Will wait for the poster to respond.

If he responds than a graphic's card would be this month cost.. If not maybe better to buy the scandoubler, while it is still available

Ah there is nothing wrong with an Amiga monitor, but I am spoiled with a Yiama Vision Master Pro 510, for 10 years know... (does workbench with drivers from Aminet - tried it with my 1200)

It gives more details than most tft's - they do tend to have some display problems - (corners) (reflections) (display angle)etc... Especially working with Images I prefer that monitor.

If you want to spend a serious amount of money, it's advised to go for a PicassoIV gfx card as your first buy. With the included scandoubler, you can avoid the Indivision 4000 too. Just the best option for an A4000.

If you want to spend a serious amount of money, it's advised to go for a PicassoIV gfx card as your first buy. With the included scandoubler, you can avoid the Indivision 4000 too. Just the best option for an A4000.

Confirm; even AGA demos are displayed correctly on VGA monitors (at least I didn't encounter problematic demo). And Picasso IV has Zorro II/II and graphic connector at once; you can still put 3 other Zorro cards into your desktop case!
Have 2 of them (y); 1 is spare.

catweasel

catweasel

Well, It was my mistake, should have looked up the specs..:Doh::Doh:

It is a pitty, but Vesalia works quick..(y)

Does anybody has experience with the catweasle mk2?

I found this manual:

http://siliconsonic.de/t/catman2.html

Can it completely replace the current floppy in the A4000? I saw on some sites "bootable" on others not "bootable."

I will be stuck anyway with the case so will probably have to put on drives on the top.

To be honest thinking of removing the CDROM drive, (will use it only to install os 3.9...) (or trie to transfer it to flash)

I wan't to be able to write mac disks, C64 disks (I am not concerned about the one side option), have a cdrom drive, and maybe some flash disk while there is no network card.

On the 4000 d, the plastic below (under the small floppy), does it offer enough space to add a floppy drive?

see a pic of an A4000D I used to own:

146.jpg

there is space for 2 floppies and a cd-rom, IF the floppy that came with your A4000D is a normal sized one, some where 1.5 times high...

another solution would be to get a 5.25" frame (those are used in racked servers) that will give you 1 x Slim CD/DVD drive slot, 1 x Floppy slot and 2 USB ports...

645.jpg

txs

txs

If this was a paid helpdesk it would be the first one that does it's job :D

Even the debian forums are not that quick ;)

Nice image, but no luck. The floppy is to high just like you mentioned. The model I bought is a commodore and has a cpu card.

Do you know if it is possible to connect a big floppy using catweasel mk2, a normal pc floppy drive, and then swapping the Amiga 4000 floppy with one from the A2000? Or does the PC floppy boots with catweasel?

There are no needs for the cdrom, if I mount an ide to flash, and rename the volume name to whatever to install?

In the future I will try to network the Amiga anyway (I have a server at home)

I cannot help you with the catweasel stuff, I have no idea what it supports... IIRC you cannot use it's connected drives to boot stuff from...
but please consider this: your A4000D now has a 1.78MB drive, do you really want to change it to a 880kb A2000 one?

good question

good question

As I understand, the Catweasel provides a quick floppy drive that has 1.76 meg (is faster)

This is wat I wan't:

(an ide cable ready at the back to connect a cdrom if needed)

(a ide-cf bracked as slave at the back of the machine) (I know do not remove it while the machine is on)

(big 5,xxd pc floppy drive) (to write C64 disks)
(pc floppy drive)
(compatible floppy to install workbench)

I have no amiga HD floppy disks.. I don't think that I will go for storage on floppy, as soon as the machine is networked...

But if you know other limitations that this has well please comment..

well then, you could put the 5.25" FDD in the cd-rom place, and put 2 normal-height floppies in the remaining 2 slots: an amiga 880kb and a PC one... you will not miss the amiga floppies, that is for sure LOL

Ypu might not even have to use the cf card at all, if you consider the DENEB card you can do both networking and file transfers with that... (plus it has it's own flashrom that can store all sorts of programs that become available at boot time, kind of a kickstart extender...)

composite

composite

I found this, and I am thinking to construct a cable temporary. (test it of course with a different machine) :nuts:

http://www.hardwarebook.info/Amiga_Video

(pin 10)
(pin 16)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video

Or is it something different?

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

I ordered the DENEB USB and the INDIVISION SCAN DOUBLER.

This was the budget.:blink:

Well anyway will be able to upgrade further next month.

PC's are so cheap there is not much to invest there (y)

1Deneb USB Controller for Zorro-II/III139.95139.951Indivision AGA 4000D/CD32, 'flickerfixer' (aka de-interlacer) for Amiga 4000 and CD32
1Deneb USB Controller for Zorro-II/III139.95139.951Indivision AGA 4000D/CD32, 'flickerfixer' (aka de-interlacer) for Amiga 4000 and CD32

Deneb USB 2.0 is a perfect add-on for A4000, but you could open a thread asking for a PicassoIV first, imho, before acquiring an Indivision scandoubler.

scandoubler

scandoubler

Eventually I need the scan doubler anyway, even if there is composite (wich i doubt) since on this side people are doing conversions from rgb..

I could of course do it with the cable. of 11.99 euro's. -> but I remember that one of my monitors switches automatic between inputs... So this is perfect.

Well I think second hand will alway's come up, but new "scandoublers", new zorro cards etc ..

I wanted to save on the DENEB USB, but well yes, it is handy if it allows faster startup and YES, to swap media over ide and having to shut down is not very...

Next thing to look for is the CPU like you explained. Hopefully some new hardware arrives...

About Deneb, read the manual very carefully how to connect the external holding plate with the 2 USB connectors onto the Deneb card, or there is a possibility to do damage on it.

If you need an emergency RGB to composite, just hook the pins #3, #4, #5 & #10 (R, G, B & CSync) together via four 150 Ohm resistors (one for each pin) to the internal pin of composite jack and one common ground to the outer side of it.

Will work, but only in Black & White.

First Boot

First Boot

I had the machine connected to several tft's but no go: out of range. The Amiga motherboard is clean, and yes the battery was replaced.

The floppy nor the cdrom seam to work. (well will replace the cdrom with a dvd drive, (is this possible?) and have alcohol ready for the drive and other drives to clean them.

I noticed there is some cdrom software installed to support it. The amiga sees the device i think it is called cd0:

Looking at the fonts at top it looks like workbench 3.0, however the roms are 3.1?

When I get the DENEB USB i WILL not TRY anything that I don't understand, before posting:nod: I am not going to try to loose 120+ euro's without checking with people with experience.

My Yiama Vision Master did display the mode workbench was (multisync mode it was called in screen mode)

I think the bill will be high for this Amiga... (in the end)

Is there an option to get 1280x1024 at 100 hz with grapic card?

Well when I was young I went to a local amiga dealer in Belgium. They offered two systems: Amiga 500 (preferred by my mother because of the numeric key's) and an Amiga 600 highly recommended because of the HD option.

Well the serious systems in the shop A2000, A3000 (well we are not known to have the latest products) costed at least the double of a pc (2000 euro's then) and the bridge boards :shhh: I do not recall - I had no funds to get this...:bowdown:

So I ended up with replacing a C64 with a 386 sx with 2 mb's ram. what a joy:):nuts: Remember that it really sucked - no sound - disks shared in CGA - EGA (what happend to the colors?)

Of course lot's of games and stuff were still exchanged from the 286 time :Doh:

Printers who were not able to print banners etc without ugly stripes..:nuts: What I recall it was alway's in need of memory. Even a simple hand scanner could not do the job without 4mb's of ram.

A couple years later you could find cheap A500 (working in holiday's) and I had one spare system.:ninja: And I was able to get my C64 back.(y) I still have one (the one on my desk broke again)

When I was 22 (now 32) I had a running A500 in the car.

So anyway, this is the roadmap I am heading to: (could take a year, I have another expensive hobby: photography)

Graphics card (really,really needed in time)
PCI or All Zorro
Network

First use will be to write C64 with the catweasel and having the USB going. I will look for pre-configured workbench like amisys

I am still having some problems with the 3.0 workbench, sometimes I just don't understand how to close an APP. The menu at top is mac a like, but the right mouse button seems not working.

I had this with my A1200 to - resolder fixed it. Will look into it, I do not want to tamper with this motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom