Amiga Repair Guru wanted....

noxenlux

Country
Beaverton, Oregon
I have an RCS Management: X-Calibur that needs some repair, if it can be repaired. There appear to be some missing pins on the cpu socket, however I do not know if that is the only issue. I got this from a nice older fellow w/ a bunch of other amiga stuff. Including the broken down a4kt that is on my list of things to repair.

I am including some pics of the X-calibur, also I dont have a lot of cash but I do have a retina V1.1 and an emplant card that I wouldnt mind parting with.

Shawn.

Attachments

• IMG_9400.jpg
    IMG_9400.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9401.jpg
    IMG_9401.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9403.jpg
    IMG_9403.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9405.jpg
    IMG_9405.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9406.jpg
    IMG_9406.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9408.jpg
    IMG_9408.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9407.jpg
    IMG_9407.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 0
those pins are easy, shame its across ocean as i can do it, even for beer

hope you will find some mastah fluxer locally (y)

Hey, just encountered this post and I was wondering, if you find a fix for your Xcalibur and you happen to still have the retina, I'll buy it. You have a PM

What kind of emplant card is (interest is piqued...)

Those nine broken pins are easy to replace. Look for a local TV repair shop (but not that neighbour of yours!).

I bet the repair job will not cost much to you.

BTW: congratulations! An Excalibur is a very rare beast. You have my envy, sir!:bowdown:

I've always wanted an emplant card with the 586 module. If this card is right, and the price is right (if it is for sale at all!), I'd be looking for the emplant 586 module

I've always wanted an emplant card with the 586 module. If this card is right, and the price is right (if it is for sale at all!), I'd be looking for the emplant 586 module

I will post pics of the emplant card. But as the box tells me it is. Rev 1.5

Those nine broken pins are easy to replace. Look for a local TV repair shop (but not that neighbour of yours!).

I bet the repair job will not cost much to you.

BTW: congratulations! An Excalibur is a very rare beast. You have my envy, sir!:bowdown:

thanks rkauer I will look into the tvshop... Not something I would have thought of myself.

Attachments

• IMG_9396.jpg
    IMG_9396.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9395.jpg
    IMG_9395.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9394.jpg
    IMG_9394.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9393.jpg
    IMG_9393.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9392.jpg
    IMG_9392.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9391.jpg
    IMG_9391.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9397.JPG
    IMG_9397.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Check with Jeri Ellsworth, she's in Portland and has the necessary skills, and might be able to recommend a place if she's not interested.

Check with Jeri Ellsworth, she's in Portland and has the necessary skills, and might be able to recommend a place if she's not interested.

Yes, we have "that neighbor", but we also have Jeri...

Pacific Northwest WINS!!!

;)

I'd offer to help, but it's out of my ability range, and the only guy I know who's good at that level of soldering can be a bit of a ... hmmm...

how to put it....

He's very good and he knows it, so I rarely deal with him, except we work in the same building. :) I'm sure we all know people like that...

I'll ask around tho to see if I can find someone I would recommend. :D

desiv
(I work down in Salem..)

I do not, though I dont ever really plan on using it (the emplant). I got it as a part of a purchase that had quite a bit of stuff, and am finally getting around to sorting through most of it.

Intrest in Emplant withdrawn, the e586 emulation feature of the Emplant is a software solution it seems.

Seems like I'll have to look for a Golden Gate then...

I remember travelling from Gloucetershire to Kent to meet up with a Guy who ran an Emplant card in his A4KD. I was selling him a Midi-Keyboard. He used the card for Macintosh Emulation & had no intention of ever running 586 platform. Getting the Mac side of it running was a total biatch, but at least he had a Mac desktop when I left at midnight. He had the SCSI version which was a real headache under those early Mac Days.

Blittersoft in Milton Keynes, UK were the guys fronting this card at the time of it's launch & it was suppose to be a card that could Emulate any platform. Unfortunately with the demise of the Big C=, this card never got the support it perhaps deserved. Essentially, this card was suppose to be able to emulate any platform at a time when the Pee Cee couldn't even manage itself properly.

The real beauty of this card was it ran the Mac OS faster than the fastest real Mac's could in it's day. :nod:

Kin

noxenlux:

I know of a fantastic repair person for Amiga if you are still interested. The only problem is he lives in New Zealand.

I sent him my A4000 motherboard though and I live in the US. The mouse port stopped working and one of the ram slots too due to battery leakage. He fixed it all up and replaced the battery and also upgraded me from 3.0 roms to 3.1 roms. It wasn't that expensive either. But anyhow I will PM you his information and you can email him and get pricing and see if it is worth it to you.

noxenlux:

I know of a fantastic repair person for Amiga if you are still interested. The only problem is he lives in New Zealand.

I sent him my A4000 motherboard though and I live in the US. The mouse port stopped working and one of the ram slots too due to battery leakage. He fixed it all up and replaced the battery and also upgraded me from 3.0 roms to 3.1 roms. It wasn't that expensive either. But anyhow I will PM you his information and you can email him and get pricing and see if it is worth it to you.

thank you.

I had an Emplant in my A4KD in 1993. It actually ran much better than I expected and I was even able to play the Mac version Star Wars: Rebel Assault on my Amiga! I never really used it that much though.

Take care,

Heather

I think Shape Shifter (the emulator) was faster than a real Mac, too.

At least I used it that way and the emulator was faster than an equivalent Mac (030 Quadra?). That on my long gone A1200 GVP 030 + 16Mb Fast. Ahh, those where the days...

The guy in New Zealand is Anthony Hoffman & he is on AmiBay in our "ServiceBay/Hardware section" here: <--- linky.

Kin

Back
Top Bottom