morcar

Banned
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Wales, UK
When I had this ZX81 it wasn’t working very well. It would refuse to tune into my old CRT TV so I decided to get it up and running on modern TV's.

I first changed the Z80 because thats where the problem starts and I still had a bad picture so I installed a video board which allows you to use composite. The picture is 100% better than if you used the RF. All you need to do now is to plug one end of a male phono into the TV and the other end into what was the RF port and you get a picture that even Sir Clive would be proud of.

Before

After

After that I soon discovered that the keyboard was not working and that the connectors on the mainboard where the keyboard plus into were faulty. So I fitted new connections on the board and installed a new keyboard and it works fantastic.

I also have a little addition to the ZX81 where it fits on to the keyboard and this will make typing a lot easier. It reminds me of a ZX Spectrum keyboard only smaller. I gave it a little clean and it really has come up like new.

As you can see in one of the pictures comes with a 16k ram pack so you can get the most out of this little wonder machine.

For power I have a multi voltage power supply as the original one does not work. It works as it should and has never given me any trouble. I will also include all the other tips and add-ons for the power supply too.

I know I have the cassette cables but I cant seem to find them. You can pick those up on eBay anyway for very little.

There is no original box or manual, but it will be packed up very well and if you needed a manual use Google as I am sure there is one in PDF form.

So as you can see its had a lot of TLC over the past few weeks, but now its time to let it go back out into the wild.

I am selling this for £40 and postage is £6.00 UK only. If you are outside the UK please ask for a price.

This is also up on eBay and World Of Spectrum

Last edited:
Unless I am mistaken this is listed elsewhere, at least the picture and text are the same ;-)

I think the rules require you to state this!

Unless I am mistaken this is listed elsewhere, at least the picture and text are the same ;-)

I think the rules require you to state this!

ok i just added in its up on eBay .. cheers

Sorry, but I have to ask.
Why is the Z80A your first port of call to improve the video output? :huh:

TC :)

From what I have read the z80 helps to output the signal and a lot of them are not very good with newer tv`s.

When I used the original z80 it refused to lock on to the channel, but once I changed it I could find the signal.

The computer was working with the first Z80 as it was tested through an oscilloscope.

With a new Z80 it improves the picture resulting in it locking on to the signal on your TV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom