PDA

View Full Version : A600 Users - HELP!

AmigaManiac
21st August 2008, 18:01
Hi all,

If anyone has an A600 (stock), can you help me out with a little something?

I need to know (as accurately as possible) how much space (in mm) there is from the top of the KS ROM socket on the MB, to the top-shield (without the ROM chip in it).

The reason I am asking - my new KSRS V2.0 will be a direct insert design, and I need to know if it will fit inside the shield in a stock A600 case. If not, then it would only be able to be used in "towered" A600's :-( I have an A600 MB with bottom shield, but not top-shield :-(

Thanking you in advance,

Nathan

P.S. Details of my KSRS V2.0 project can be found here viewtopic.php?f=24&t=832 (http://amibay.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=832)

Harrison
22nd August 2008, 01:25
I don't have time to measure it, but if this helps, the top of the kickstart rom chip rests against the top shielding. So there isn't much room, just to the top of the kickstart chip when it is plugged in.

AmigaManiac
22nd August 2008, 04:25
@Harrison & all

Thanks mate, that's what I thought. You don't need to measure it. That means that A600 users would only be able to use my KSRS if the had their A600 MB towered :-( Or, the only other option, I could have holes on the PCB for the optional fitting of a ribbon cable, like my old poopy KSRS V1.0. I'm still using mine on my A500 without problems, and I have even folded the ribbon cable quite harshly :oops:

With the A600 however, the ribbon cable would be dead straight, going from the ROM socket to the left, and out the PCMCIA slot. It would be shorter than my A500 ribbon cable too (about 15-16cm!). It would be only need to be about 11-12cm long for this. If the A600 user had a basically stock machine, with no accelerator or other weird mods, it should be a.o.k. The PCB could also be in a little plastic box (to protect the ROMS from static, or worse!), or just resting on the little nylon legs. Anyones thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, so I know what design features I should include - so post away! The extra tracks etc though would probably cause issues themselves - i.e. reflections as they would not be terminated? Picking up noise? Maybe I could sink/absorb the signal at the end of them for non A600 users by using suitable resistors to terminate the unused tracks and holes?

Nathan

AmigaManiac
25th September 2008, 17:03
I've got a top-shield and case for my A600 MB on the way to me right now, so I'll be able to give a definitive answer to stock A600 users as to whether the KSRS V1.0 & 2.0 will fit inside the shield.

Nathan

Harrison
22nd October 2008, 05:13
But would A600 owners need to have the top shielding in place? If it fits without it then isn't that OK?

AmigaManiac
22nd October 2008, 10:50
@ Harrison

Both of my KSRS V1.0 & 2.0 fit easily inside the case, if there is no top shield. I probably wont bother getting a top shield, as I don't really need it.

Nathan

fiat1100d
26th March 2009, 17:54
Top shield isn't really needed, my A600 doesn't have it since it was bought new (rev. 1.5 motherboard, march 1993).

Photon
15th September 2009, 01:07
Even with it off, there is only 6.5mm to the metal back of the keyboard, which (with maximum bad luck) could have a screw-head over the socket. I don't think so, and the screw could be removed, so...

I don't use the top, and ofc you could make a hole in it (or remove it :P) if one wants your mod. So np I think for most users.