Not open for further replies.

Robhalfordfan

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Aberdeen
I am needing help setting up my hard drive on my a590 hard drive plus on amiga a500+

Hard drive - Seagate ST318417N, 50 pin SCSI, 18.4 Gb
Amiga - A500+ with kickstart switcher roms 1.3 and 3.1 and 1mb ram and 512kb trapdoor ram
A590 Hard Drive plus - V7.00 Roms and 2MB Ram

when I try setup hard drive the HDtoolbox in workbench 1.3 with a590 setup disk say unknown and cant read drive details and size but I can manually type in details and when I partition the drive and click save and does not do anything
when use 3.1 hdtoolbox it reads the brand and make of hard drive but not the size and try to manually type in and click save it does the same as 1.3 workbench is doing

and when I try HDInstTool from aminet it say unsupported under 3.1 and same in 1.3 but in german

Last edited:
it can only handle drives upto 4 gig,partitions have to be alot smaller.but you can partition it to that size total.

better to split the drive into smaller segments,or try pfs and dont have a massive workbench partition try to keep that below 512 mb as the boot partition

i know this dont help you much,as you are not seeing the drive at all?

Last edited:
Check the terminator is enabled on the drive (should be a jumper for it). Could be the cause. Also check the drive is not set to id0 or id7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the jumper for terminator is on and also the parity disable is on by default (no idea what they mean) and when I plug the power into pc I hear and feel it spinning but cant check on pc as have no scsi port in at all

I'm sure there is a Amiga OS 3.9 hard disk setup disk available which should detect a drive over 4gb and allow you to set it up correctly. You will then be able to install which ever version you you have.

The HD setup disk is on floppy yes.

UPDATE:

I manage to get my 18gb hdd running on 3.9 through emulator

now I how do get it to work with a590 and how to install workbench 1.3 and 3.1 to dual boot

Last edited:
ANOTHER UPDATE

I manage to somehow partition, format and install wb1.3 and wb3.1 on emulator on my 18gb hdd and the emulator sees and boots but when I plug back into my amiga it doesn't see or boots it

If you boot from the A590 disk and click on PrepHD does it find the drive?

The SCSI ID needs to be set to 0.

Last edited:
Another update

Another update

i read that supposlly the standard psu for a590 is not strong enough to power large hard drives that is 7200 rpm

and try an external power source on 18gb hdd with the scsi cable plug into my a590 and it works

so it is worth to have orignal xt 20mb hdd and the 18gb hdd running at same time and left out loose from a590 case

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom