Piccolo SD64 memory upgrade

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I received four 512 kB SOJ DRAM chips today from Utsource. My Piccolo SD64 was populated with only 2 MB, having four sockets free for additional 2 MB.

So, off with the lid of A4000 and snapping the memory chips in sockets. It was a matter of aligning the other side of the chip with the socket and pressing it in with the thumb while supporting the Piccolo from the bottom side with the rest of the fingers. No need of removing the card.
26072010273.jpg

Then the lid back on and powering up the Amiga. Showconfig shows full 4 MB for the Piccolo.
Unfortunately, the additional memory doesn't give any better screenmodes than with 2 MB. 1024x768 hicolor seems to be the best that can be achieved.
26072010274.jpg

Hi,
looks great and you have a very clean Amiga (y)

Do you know that shwoconfig always show on Piccolo SD64 4 MB RAM even you have only 2 MB installed? In my opinion is the Picoolo SD64 on top three of classic Amiga RTG cards. Well I regret that I have sold my lovely one :(

Do you know that shwoconfig always show on Piccolo SD64 4 MB RAM even you have only 2 MB installed? In my opinion is the Picoolo SD64 on top three of classic Amiga RTG cards. Well I regret that I have sold my lovely one :(

Thanks for pointing that out! What would be a good tool to check that it actually detects the exact amount of memory? Sysinfo?

Back
Top Bottom