Closed AmiExpress BBS version 4.20 and DayDream BBS (latest version).

Status
Not open for further replies.

HonestFlames

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Country
England
Region
Shropshire
This has been driving me nuts for a while. Amiga BBS software was a reasonably large niche, but not so large that we now have any easy availability of all the old software we used to run our boards.

AmiExpress V4.12 is readily available from amiexpress.co.uk (brilliant!). What still remains elusive is version 4.20.

This is where the fun starts. I remember there was a version of AmiExpress which was totally fake. Possibly it was the 4.20 version, but I could be mis-remembering.

So, I'm either looking for version 4.20, or some definitive answer from someone to say "you're barking up the wrong tree. 4.12 is where it's at."

Also, DayDream BBS. One of the best but not widely adopted by the scene at the time. It eventually spun off into a Linux version (which is still around). It was one of the few genuinely brilliant pieces of shareware software and I was proud to own a registered copy.

Version 1.28 is here and there on the internet (and Aminet, I think) but I cannot remember if that was the last version (probably not, I'll bet).

If you have a later version (or even if you know of one in existence), I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Are you sure the version wasn't 4.2? "Equivalent" to 4.02 on pc world.

There was definitely a 4.20, as in fourth version, 20th revision.

The more I think about it though, the more I think it was that version which was a fake. (n)

I had the sourcecode to DayDream BBS at one point, because the author abandoned it to work on the Linux version.

Wish I hadn't thrown away all my old Amiga disks :Doh:

there is a V4.20 of the amiepxress i work with myn reg version of the v4.20 , the only amiexpress for downloading are v4.12 , the most of the old bbs'en don't give the v4.20 away all of the 4.20 are reg version of the bbs and sysop

I remember there was a fake version of AmiExpress, which claimed to be a newer version than the one most people were using.

If the 4.20 version is real, then what was the fake one claiming to be?

I remember there was a fake version of AmiExpress, which claimed to be a newer version than the one most people were using.

If the 4.20 version is real, then what was the fake one claiming to be?

hmmm a fake version of amiexpress , pfff thats along time ago , i will lock in myn list maybe i can find the fake version of it witch /X it was

Well, I just got around to unpacking and running the /X 4.12 from amiexpress.co.uk, only to find that it's really v4.9. *sigh*

It works fine, but it's just annoying that 4.12 is, yet again, not quite so easy to get hold of.

Question for ya...is there a documented history of Amiexpress and Daydream anywhere? All I can find are bits and pieces... also, I'm wondering what is different in the ami/x versions? What's different about 4.9, 4.12, 4.20...?

Right, well, ... found /X 4.20 now and a DayDream distribution V1.28 and a DayDream update which is 1.29 but parts of it marked as 1.29 beta.

I wish I could remember which was the last version of DayDream.

I don't know the differences between /X versions, but I am reliably informed that version 4.20 was not necessarily fake. The archive I have of 4.20 includes also the 4.12 version of ACP, with an included notice along the lines of "if 4.20 gives you trouble, use 4.12 instead".

I'm going to have a go at setting up a small board with /X 4.20, just to reacquaint myself with it. I will also give DayDream a try, but I don't know if it's a dodgy hacked version or a version that requires a keyfile (which I no longer have).

Ah, gotcha. I have the 4.12 from amiexpress.co.uk running in E-UAE and also have daydream/linux running alongside. Fun to be nostalgic :) I recently grabbed the 4.20 as well but haven't unpacked it. I'm wondering if it will be worth it to potentially break what I already have...

Let us know if you put a board up and decide to leave it up!

Hmm...content. Good question. It all depends on what you're going for.

I have a board up now (montereybbs.com) which is mainly an artscene/bbs modding scene type board. I generally keep the files to a minimum, except, of course, for files that have to do with the aforementioned 'scenes'. Doorgames are fun...take a look at hack and slash/rpgd. I can also HIGHLY recommend trying to set up message nets. Check out zeronet, scinet, and amiganet (amynet) for a few of the better ones.

Anyway, if you create an account on montereybbs and have any questions, let me know and I will try and help you out. Also, point an irc client to irc.bbs-scene.org #bbs and say hello.

Well, catch you later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom