AmiNerd
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Yorkshire
> Look
You are in Photo Booth. In the corner is a large bearded man, moaning in pleasure and looking like he is about to have a crisis of sorts.

> inventory
You have a shiny new Amiga 1000, just this morning arrived from Almaniac. Despite concerns of the seller about finding a suitable box, it arrived in packaging that would have withstood anything up to large tactical nuclear strike. As the combined might of DHL and ParcelForce can only muster small nuclear strike equivalence, it was immaculate.

> Post picture
You attempt to post a picture, but this is a text adventure. Use your imagination.

> hint
No time for that now. The gentleman - for lack of a better name - in the corner looks distressed at this thread.

> fit DJBase A1000 Kickstart adapter
Your previous attempts to fit the kickstart adapter were futile due to the strange configuration of your old, early PAL 1000 which had a daughterboard. You probably shouldn't do this.

> fit DJBase A1000 Kickstart adapter
I don't know how to fit the kickstart adapter

>Remove top from 1000
You carefully remove screws from the base, the front cover, the front ram expansion and remove the top. Keith raises an eyebrow and looks interested.

>Remove shielding
You continue your violation of the 1000. Keith grins.

>Remove motherboard
The motherboard is in your hands. Keith is sweating slightly and has a strange expression on his face.

>solder 28 pin DIL socket to U5R
Keith attacks you. His violence takes you by surprise.

>use flux.
Keith nods appreciatively, and bids you on your way.

>Solder 28 pin DIL socket to U5R
(removing solder blocking pcb mounting holes first)
You fit a 28 pin DIL socket to the motherboard position labelled EVEN 2nd.

>disconnect DAUGCAS pin 17.
You decide to disconnect the pin by unsoldering it, and bending it out the way should you ever decide to change your mind.

>Tin wire.
Keith attacks.

> USE FLUX WHENEVER SOLDERING
Keith nods appreciatively and bids you on your way.

> connect U3J pin 1 to kickstart adapter pin 1
Done

> cut w2 jumper
With what?

> with circuit board cutter thingy
Done

> cut w4 jumper
with what?

> don't be bloody awkward
Done

> Solder PAL DAUGCAS PIN 2 to adapter 4
You see a light at the end of the tunnel

> Solder PAL DAUGCAS PIN 9 to adaptor 3
Done. You feel confident that you have fitted your adapter.

> Check connections
You discover you soldered Pin1 of U1J instead of Pin1 of U3J. You correct your mistake, thanking your lucky stars that you didnt install it.

> Fit kickstart 2.04
Done

> Fit adaptor
Double checking connections, you gingerly fit the kickstart adapter into the new socket labelled EVEN 2nd and ODD 1st.

> Connect power and monitor
Shaking gently, you connect power and monitor to your Amiga 1000

> Power on.
You are greeted by a purple screen with an animation showing your Amiga wanting Workbench 2.04

> Do happy dance.
Happy dance done. Keith once again raises an eyebrow.

> power off
(Amiga 1000) Done. There is a slight increase in noise from the monitor as it fails to find a sync.

> fit Kickstart 3.1
You pry out kickstart 2.04 and fit kickstart 3.1.

> Power on
(amiga 1000)
You are treated to a LED that goes from dim to bright, and a screen that flashes purple strobing.

> power off
(amiga 1000)
done.

> curse
You curse. The bearded gentleman joins in.

> search internet for DJBASE 3.1 adapter
You find something interesting. Being the internet, the results are conflicting.

> search internet for kickstart pinout
You find something interesting. Being the internet, the results are conflicting.

> bend up pin 31 and connect to pin 21
(of kickstart chip)
Done.

> plug in kickstart and try again.
I do not understand.

> plug in kickstart
Done.

> power on
(amiga 1000)
You are treated to a beautiful display of an animated disk penetrating a disk drive. Keith smiles and resumes hunching over. The legend 40.63 is displayed on the screen.

A feeling of slight triumph washes over you. You are slightly elated.

> find beer.
A bottle of Roaring Meg is found.

> open beer, pour it and drink it.
You open the beer. into what?

> into glass
Posh.

> drink it.
You can't drink the glass

>drink beer
(from glass). Done. You decide now would be a good time to write a lengthy and slightly pointless post on Amibay photobooth describing, but not picturing, your success.

>post on amibay
+++STACK OVER FLOW++++ +++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++

(coming soon - fitting a 68030 and Buddha to the poor 1000!)

THAT was awesome on many many levels!!

Thanx!!

and congrats!

desiv

Muwhahaha very nice write-up!
Awesome plan to fit a 030 in a1000 ;)

Grtz, PymerOne.

> Give +1 to chiark

You give the +1 to chiark, he appears grateful. Keith looks on with jealousy.

> Drool

You drool over the PAL A1000. Keith and chiark both look at you with bemused expressions. Keith says "Create a wanted thread of your own!"

> Inventory

Your Paypal balance doesn't contain enough funds for an A1000 of your own yet, you should sell some more junk first.

HAHA! Great read! :D I'm waiting on an A1000 kickstart adapter from DJBase. My next Amiga purchase will be an actual A1000 to put said adapter into. Your very funny write up will help me when I try to do the same. :)

Now, although it was very funny to read.... post some pics now please... Xtreem close-ups will do! :drool:

As a great fun of text adventures, I have to admit; chiark did a superb intro. (y)

Hehe, nicely written.

Now upgrade to a graphical version please :D

@Chiark

Realy chuffed you got an A1k =)

for those of you struggling I have made a C64 verision of this Text Adventure -

pic-000.jpg

pic-001.jpg

pic-002.jpg

pic-003.jpg

Unfortunately I ran out of memory because I used those two images.... damn...

Thanks Keith, that's made me grin :D , I thought I had too much time on my hands!

Thanks for the comments, too, I'll try to provide part 2 later.

Pics today, I've found my camera (y)

This is the resurrection of a project that got stalled for a couple of years: my original A1000 is boxed, has a Spirit Inboard and a Xebec SASI (yes, SASI) controller and 20MB drive. It think it might be one of the earlier PAL amigas as it has a daughterboard, which is unusual. Put it this way, the mouse serial number is 75! The unit is 1797...

The plan for that was to put an 030 in there, specifically a CSA MMR, but that needs a hardware kickstart, or so I am led to believe. So I bought an adapter from Mattias and simply could not get it to work. Thankfully, I could undo all my changes and get it working with WOM. For storage, I'll add a buddha. And possibly a Picasso II for Graphics :D as I have a Z2 adapter board :D

Another challenge for the daughterboard is it is in the way of where the accelerator would fit...

So when another PAL 1000 came up reasonably, i snapped it up. Thankfully, it's a later one which doesn't have a daughterboard.

Coming next:
- work out how to fit CSA MMR. This will mean losing the floppy drive, or the fabrication of something to relocate the 68k socket... I'll also need to lose a plastic support inside the 1000 which might be problematic as I want to put a 1942 monitor on top of it.
- possibly fit kickstart switch. This may not be possible as it'll sit where the CSA MMR will sit...
- fit boot selector if possible, or hack the boot selection.
- experiment with buddha and picasso II

Last edited:
Thanks Keith, that's made me grin :D , I thought I had too much time on my hands!

Thanks for the comments, too, I'll try to provide part 2 later.

Pics today, I've found my camera (y)

This is the resurrection of a project that got stalled for a couple of years: my original A1000 is boxed, has a Spirit Inboard and a Xebec SASI (yes, SASI) controller and 20MB drive. It think it might be one of the earlier PAL amigas as it has a daughterboard, which is unusual. Put it this way, the mouse serial number is 75! The unit is 1797...

The plan for that was to put an 030 in there, specifically a CSA MMR, but that needs a hardware kickstart, or so I am led to believe. So I bought an adapter from Mattias and simply could not get it to work. Thankfully, I could undo all my changes and get it working with WOM. For storage, I'll add a buddha. And possibly a Picasso II for Graphics :D as I have a Z2 adapter board :D

Another challenge for the daughterboard is it is in the way of where the accelerator would fit...

So when another PAL 1000 came up reasonably, i snapped it up. Thankfully, it's a later one which doesn't have a daughterboard.

Coming next:
- work out how to fit CSA MMR. This will mean losing the floppy drive, or the fabrication of something to relocate the 68k socket... I'll also need to lose a plastic support inside the 1000 which might be problematic as I want to put a 1942 monitor on top of it.
- possibly fit kickstart switch. This may not be possible as it'll sit where the CSA MMR will sit...
- fit boot selector if possible, or hack the boot selection.
- experiment with buddha and picasso II

From what I have read only the NTSC's had the daugterboard the UK got a more revised version then we did..:whistle:

Chris :coffee:

Hi Chris
Yes, it's often stated that PAL machines don't have the motherboards as a "fact", but there's plenty of us out there who've found different. Early PAL machines were based on NTSC machines, and have that daughterboard for the WOM.

Mine has the PAL case, branded Commodore rather than simply "amiga", a 240v psu, PAL agnus, and and daughterboard. The motherboard is revision A. It was supplied from Commodore UK to a Commodore dealer to a wealthy computer nut, who later traded it back into the dealer for another machine but didn't want to junk it. I used to work for that dealer :D

The old A1000 I have says "made in Japan" - I suspect the new one wasn't, but can't swear to it.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 ----------

> L
You are surrounded by random screws, lumps of solder, parts of Amigas, and general detritus associated with retro addiction. In the corner is the Ph0t0 800th g1mp, looking at a box.

> exa box
The box says CSA. It it closed

> open box
The box opens to reveal a CSA Mega Midget Racer, resplendent with a golden 68030, 68882, 512kb of SRAM and 8MB of DRAM.

> gasp
You gasp a little. The gimp gasps too.

> Fit the CSA MMR to the 1000
You try to fit the CSA MMR to the 1000. The kickstart adaptor is in the way. Whilst we're on the subject of things in the way, so is a support post, and the floppy drive.

> remove floppy drive
(from 1000). Removed. Are you sure you know what you're doing?

> examine parts bin
There's a lot in the part bin. A large black leather glove, embroidered with OJ. Lord Lucan's business card. A rocking horse appears to have been here.

> search for DIL socket.
You find four DIL sockets.

> make crazy tower of DIL sockets
You make a crazy tower

> remove 68000 from 1000
You are left with -67000

> Remove motherboard from case
Done

> add CSA MMR to 1000
You have 69912.

> check for shorts
You are wearing them. They are brown.

> check 1000 for shorts
the 1000 is naked. The gimp is groaning slightly in anticipation.

> turn on 1000.
In what seems an eternity, the LED goes from DIM to BRIGHT. There is no magic smoke and a faint smell of flux. The gimp sniffs deeply then hunches over.

> boot wb31
You find and boot WB31. A CPU command confirms you have a 68030 and 68882 with all caching enabled.

> turn off and wonder how the hell to fit this
You turn off the 1000. The same cannot be as easily achieved with the gimp.

My little baby grown up to a strong and powerful Women. :blink:
Good to have her no longer here otherwise i have to make the household :whistle:

:D

I'm trying to take her as far as a 1000 can go, however I want everything i do to be non-destructive.

I've had a plan for the CSA-MMR that involves making a small board, maybe out of vero board and wires: it'll plug into the 68k socket, and have another 68k socket on it about 5cm away in one direction 8cm the other. It'll mean the MMR is overhanging the back of the 1000 by about 2cm :D

Should I look for any particular kind of wire to ensure I don't get interference?

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

I see Ratte on a1k.org swears by enamelled wire. Looks sorta interesting, particularly if I don't have to strip insulation!

Or I could use one of these:
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0471395

Does anyone have pics about the rom adaptor ? It is still boxed, I am scared without pictures to do the job... ;)

Prototype of the adaptor was built last night... Just 64 wires to cut, tin, lay out and solder...

> Graphics on
Graphics on.

The ROM adaptor in all its glory!
main.php

Wires deliberately left long as I want to be able to remove it...
I've fitted jumper pins to W2 and W4 so I can easily undo changes.
The red jump lead on the chip connects pin 31 to pin 21. Pin 21 is always VCC and it looks unconnected on the ROM board - which is odd, as kickstart 2.04 works just fine!

The test fitting of the CSA-MMR!
main.php

Yes, I really should have taken a photo of the screen...

The stack of stack of CPU DIL sockets
main.php

The proposed position for the CSA MMR
main.php

You can see where the CPU socket would position the CSA-MMR if I just stack it up... It'd remove the disk drive and the support post in the middle, and possibly another support post.

main.php

And the adaptor, half way through construction...

main.php

@chiark: I admire your patience! Great job you're doing there, even if you switched-off the "The Hobbit" mode! :D Surely Gandalf will be pleased anyhow! :=) Now, concerning your accelerator, i suppose that positioning it towards the rear would mean having to cut part of the rear plastic cover.. And maybe having it exposed a bit out the case. Can't have it all.. On the other hand, if you remove the floppy, you could still use an external one!

Back
Top Bottom