No announcement yet.

Review - ACA500 A500 Accelerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would be very surprised if we ran a POLL and asked would you pay double for an ACA500 with 8mb ram and the poll said no.

The ACA1220 is only 10 euros more than the ACA500, and comes with 128MB RAM and a 16MHz 68020 processor. I'd rather get that than pay twice as much for an ACA500 with 8MB RAM and a 14MHz 68000.

I do agree that for an extra 10 euros, an 8MB ACA500 would be awesome. And I wouldn't bother buying with another accelerator.

From what Jens said on EAB I get the impression that the 80 euro price point was decided before he finalised the hardware design.

It sounds like there is little margin on the ACA500 and he's trying to use the ACA500 to drive sales of the ACA12xx's.
    I can't really blame him for that, he's running a business and with no profit the business shuts down, and no more cool amiga hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by DonutKing View Post

It sounds like there is little margin on the ACA500 and he's trying to use the ACA500 to drive sales of the ACA12xx's.
      I can't really blame him for that, he's running a business and with no profit the business shuts down, and no more cool amiga hardware.
      that's what I think but it was dismissed by other members here, Jens is a businessman and like i've said not really doing what the community wants.

if he was then it would be 28mhz 68k and 8mbram
      he would also build 060 cards for a1200 also, plenty of chips around but that would put a nail in the coffin of his current ACA range if an ACA1260 was released.

Comment

@Sardine, the problem is these specs would rise the price and for those that want to use the ACA500 with a turbo board they already own would have to spent more on the ACA500 and they might not even bother so Jens could lose sales.

I'm all for an expansion that simply gives it more Ram but you can't ask a developer to sell a card at a loss just to please the community.

I don't understand why people hold a grudge against new items if they are not up to your spec don't buy them.

Don't forget there are other options if you just want 68k + Fast Ram and others on the horizon like the Zeus68k. These smaller projects will be more community driven as they don't have board of directors to please!
        Last edited by fitzsteve; 26 February 2014, 13:03. Reason: typo
        My YouTube Channel:

CD32 + TF330, A500+ Vampire V2, A1200D + BPPC/BVision/SCSI2SD, A1200T Black Box + Mediator B1260 + Killer K1 PPC

Comment

im happy with mine to be honest.

if it was made with its own cpu and memory and no passthrough for other cards it wouldnt be upgradeable,just like cards of old,thats the way i look at it.

as it stands at the moment i see it as a cheap adaptor to allow most good cards to work from 020 to 060 with lots of memory,so i cant really complain..

the only down side that i can see is,it dont come in a case
          and thats not really a problem for me..
          Last edited by roy_bates; 26 February 2014, 11:52.
          i have got too much hardware,it would only hurt your eyes to look at it here

Comment

Well After reading this Thread im quiet suprised the diffrent Opinions from so many People, so ill say my salt.
            I Thinks Jens has done his home work well on the Aca500, I dont think 8mb would make a big diffrence, The Aca1220 as addon is a much better Option plus its32bit ram, leaving more Local 24bit ram on the aca500 free for whdload games, the 89€ for the aca1220@16mhz can easliy be upgraded with a better 68020 with the right Equipment if needed, ive done it FritzSteve has done it. But the Aca500 is a fantastic starting platform to build on for future Upgrades.and the Aca1220 is more the enough for whdload games.

If you have a good restored A500+ the Aca500 is enough and you dont Need a clock on the ACA500 waste of Money, Extra 1mb for chip you can "order Dont know if im allowed to say Website" for 15€ and build it yourself. Then you have a perfect whdload machine.

If you wont Os3.9 then Honestly your using the wrong Amiga, I think Aca 1232 personelly Overkill. The Housing for the Aca500 you can make yourself if it bothers you for under 10€ using plexi Glass. I Think its a Great Entry product for Older and Newer User.

Comment

Originally posted by Lozspd4 View Post
              Well After reading this Thread im quiet suprised the diffrent Opinions from so many People, so ill say my salt.
              I Thinks Jens has done his home work well on the Aca500, I dont think 8mb would make a big diffrence, The Aca1220 as addon is a much better Option plus its32bit ram, leaving more Local 24bit ram on the aca500 free for whdload games, the 89€ for the aca1220@16mhz can easliy be upgraded with a better 68020 with the right Equipment if needed, ive done it FritzSteve has done it. But the Aca500 is a fantastic starting platform to build on for future Upgrades.and the Aca1220 is more the enough for whdload games.

If you have a good restored A500+ the Aca500 is enough and you dont Need a clock on the ACA500 waste of Money, Extra 1mb for chip you can "order Dont know if im allowed to say Website" for 15€ and build it yourself. Then you have a perfect whdload machine.

If you wont Os3.9 then Honestly your using the wrong Amiga, I think Aca 1232 personelly Overkill. The Housing for the Aca500 you can make yourself if it bothers you for under 10€ using plexi Glass. I Think its a Great Entry product for Older and Newer User.
              Im really sorry all, I couldn't help myself.......is this FritzSteve fitzsteve's German cousin?

I think the ACA500 is a good entry level product.....just to be back ontopic...and thanks to the Steve's for reviewing!
              Last edited by voyager_1701e; 11 September 2014, 13:49.
              Ash
              A1200 ACA1221 & 1221lc, A600 ACA620/Vampire II Black, A500,A500+ & A500++ ACA500+ Vampire II, A2000 Re-created with TF534, VIC20 / C16 / C64 / C64 Reloaded
              I'm a memory collector. I collect stuff that elicit good memories from my past - nostalgia

Comment

Glad someone saw the mistake, yes it is Lol)

Comment

Very late to the party, but just wanted to say thank you for a wonderful review!

What an awesome piece of hardware as well. I love the fact that ROMs for 1.3 and 3.1 are included.

Thank you

Comment

Just wanted to add these 2 cards to Steve's thread.

The MicroDia card pictured works as a boot card "82X CompactFlash Xtra Plus 4GB"
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ACA500 CF Cards.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1453482
                    The "Memory Technology Company 4GB CompactFlash card" pictured does not work as a boot card. The system just shows a blank screen and nothing else.

I didnt try either as the "AUX" card
                    Ash
                    A1200 ACA1221 & 1221lc, A600 ACA620/Vampire II Black, A500,A500+ & A500++ ACA500+ Vampire II, A2000 Re-created with TF534, VIC20 / C16 / C64 / C64 Reloaded
                    I'm a memory collector. I collect stuff that elicit good memories from my past - nostalgia

Comment

A strange thing! just to mention it, no prob from me.
                      Sometime ago I bought a Mega fast ram. It is a board that sits on 68k socket and gives you 2MB of ram. You can keep your existing 68k or swap it with a 010.
                      I kept mine and I type the command to enable the ram.
                      As a result I got 2MB chip (1 from my A500+ and another on trap) 2MB fast from the mega board and another 2 from aca.

What is the strange thing?
                      68K falls from 14MHz to 7
                      CF cards both work fine on aca though.

Now this is true compatibility for old games.
                      http://partsfromthepast.blogspot.gr/
                      To blit, or not to blit? A1200T 603,128MB,Mediator,Voodoo3,TVCard,SB128,Lan100.
                      A1200 030IV 50MHz 16MB,3xA1200 8MB+CF(one NOS),2xA500+ 1MB,A500 1,5MB,A600 ACA020 10MB+CF,C64,3xCPC6128,CPC464,ZX48+,Atari 1040STE 4MB,1040STF.

Comment

@Voyager, I'm using one of the Generic Cards as my Boot card however they're all different so mileage will vary. (Mine is 8gb so I have the whole WHDLoad ECS pack at my disposal!)

It seems even across the same brand sometimes no two CF are created equal!

@Vincent, I'm doing the exact same thing as you:

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...ACA500-setup-D
                        Last edited by fitzsteve; 20 March 2015, 17:54.
                        My YouTube Channel:

CD32 + TF330, A500+ Vampire V2, A1200D + BPPC/BVision/SCSI2SD, A1200T Black Box + Mediator B1260 + Killer K1 PPC

Comment

Really nice stuff, like to get some new stuff to hack with them.

Comment

I do not know, it mentioned before but using rapidroad USB with ACA500 is possible.
                            I have used with several USB sticks, mouses, HDDs & even tried with usb ethernet adapter (with posedion stack)
                            Last edited by Dejavu; 3 August 2015, 22:32.
                            Amiga1200/Apollo1260@80MHz/RapidRoadUSB/IndiAGAmkcr2
                            Amiga500+/ACA500/ACA1233/IndivisionECS

Comment