Review: Speccy Tape IOS version.

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Here is a review of a wonderful bit of software for the ZX spectrum family of computers.

Speccy tape (iTunes)

Itunes info:

Speccy Tape is a simple utility that converts your idevice into cassette player for ZX Spectrum computer. It simply plays out the TZX and TAP files via the speaker/jack. Loading is done via the utility search program and the files are stored on your iDevice for offline use. The search program can access hundreds of spectrum software titles, games. demos and utilities. Swipe to the left on a file to delete it.

The database of software is in fact the http://worldofspectrum.org database which contains 24,124 titles!

WARNING:
Please not that in order to feed the signal to ZX you need to amplify it. I'm trying to workaround this problem if possible. It works perfectly if you are using a tape player ( or ZX +2 ) and the car cassette adapter.

Connect the device to the Spectrum put your files via iTunes/Mail or Safari and enjoy.

I have used this on ZX spectrum 48K , Spectrum 128K & +2B. I have used it directly via the audio jack (volume must be full) or via the built in cassette on the +2 (cd adaptor used) and directly via the audio jack (hack / mod).

i would say that i have had a 95% loading success with this , in fact the most failures have been 128K demos or games. Every 48K game loaded as i recall.

Loading time is as it would be from cassette - 3 or 4 mins for 48K or about 7 mins for 128K.

Download and enjoy.

mike.

(C) copyright notice, only download the games you own. Dont blame me if Sir Clive comes knocking at your door!.

Link

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/speccy-tape/id460743976?mt=8

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/archive.html

http://poopi-san.blogspot.co.uk

Video (youtube) by me...

http://youtu.be/TBxQRdLHm0I (uploading now)

(its a bit long and boring - sorry)

From the devs blog..

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2011

My first official production for iPhone - SpeccyTape
A few weeks ago I've meet an old friend who is collecting vintage computers. He have a lot of them. ZX Spectrums, Atari 8/13/32 bit, Jaguar, Amigas...basically you name it he have it. I've got a chance to get one of his babys the ZX Spectrum +2B. I started to play with but figured out that there is something wrong with the computer. After a while I figured out that there was a faulty clock generator circuit to the CPU.
But the harm has been done I took a bait and started to play with my old stuff I wrote 2 decades ago. Then I started to think how to load all the nice stuff from WorldOfSpectrum.org. A partial solution was to buy a DivIDE+ which is a simple ZX interface to the PATA/CF. So I did. But still I wanted to download the TZX files with beatiful sound of the original experience. A quick search showed that I can use Windoze or the command line on my Mac to do so. I've started to convert the TZX and TAP files to MP3s but the process was boring, messy, long ...and simple not an "Apple way"....so I've created this little utility called the Speccy Tape.

With it you can download programs directly from thew WOS site and unzip them directly on the device. You can also open a mail attachment or put the files via the iTunes.

The downside is the fact that some (?) of the iPhones/iPods have a reduced output signal levels so feeding the signal directly from the device to ZX Spectrum won't work. So I've made a simple amplifier based on the op-amp (LM358) to address this issue (schematic coming soon). From the other hand my iPad1 has enough output level to feed the ZX Spectrum +128K (didn't tested on other versions, counting on the feedback). I personally use the ZX Spectrum +2(grey) and use the simple car cassette adapter (works like a charm).

There is not much to describe here how the program works as the screens and video seems to be self-explanatory.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.22.17.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.22.17.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.21.10.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.21.10.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.21.20.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.21.20.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.39.25.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.39.25.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.56.02.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.56.02.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.55.51.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.55.51.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.55.30.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-09 at 19.55.30.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Not sure how many people use the spectrum these days but its a cheap way of loading games in to the zx ...oh and easy too.

Quite a cool idea ;) I had read about using a mp3 player and even a mini disc, will check out you video in a bit as its still processing

Yes it does .. My video goes on a bit but I wanted to show the loading time...

does the app allow you to load your own tzx and tap files from pc onto the ipad?

just a thought(i dont own a ipad)

Hi Roy..

Im unsure about that yet...im looking.

Nope no Android version.

Nice utility. Does it actually make a local copy of the tzx or tap file directly on your iDevice? I suppose it has to since all the files in WoS archive are zipped. Does Speccy Tape also unzip the file?

Yes the file is stored on the iDevice and it's unzipped by the software. You then delete the .zip and keep the tzx

Yes the file is stored on the iDevice and it's unzipped by the software. You then delete the .zip and keep the tzx

Hmm, wonder if I could create a similar app for WP7? :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom