Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: Gbs 8200 rgb to VGA arcade adaptor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another review without screen shots.

All this talk of wavy lines, or colours not quite right (red tinge), or area around the mouse not perfect, I wonder if this unit really is worth all the hassle of custom cables and power supplies, when the Amigamaniac adapter + VGA converter is a plug in and play solution.

I use Amigamaniac's svideo adapter, and a VGA converter (also bought from his site). I think we're going to have to do a screenshot comp to conclude which set up is best.

I suspect this adapter is no better than an RGB -> Svideo -> VGA setup.

Matt.
    Amiga 1000/500/2000/3000/600/1200/4000/CD32, and a C64

Comment

Originally posted by matt020 View Post
      I suspect this adapter is no better than an RGB -> Svideo -> VGA setup.
      I love Amigamaniac's svideo adapter.
      Have one...

But, logic would dictate (Hmm.. rather Spock sounding there) that a conversion from RGB to s-video, and then back to RGB would have some loss..

Now, whether it's noticeable or or not.... Not sure...
      I'd compare, but the s-video to VGA adapter I got (this was before Nathan was selling his) didn't work properly. (It actually looked really sharp, but one of the colors was 1 line lower than it should have been. Didn't do that with composite, just s-video so I didn't notice it when I first got it. Too late to return it by the time I found out..)

One thing that hits me initially is Amigamaniacs adapter has a PAL/NTSC switch.
      The GBS doesn't need such switching. Although if everything you do is PAL (no one is going to do everything in NTSC ), that wouldn't be a problem.

desiv

Comment

Amber (y)

Has anyone tried this? http://www.ambery.com/rgbcgatovgac.html

Looks like a cheaper alternative to internal scandoublers (but imho no flickerfixer functionality currently )available...

Comment

Originally posted by Miru View Post
          Has anyone tried this? http://www.ambery.com/rgbcgatovgac.html

Looks like a cheaper alternative to internal scandoublers (but imho no flickerfixer functionality currently )available...

i have one of these and it is truly terrible
          Official Amiga Walker

Comment

sorry to hear that. Poor picture quality or what is the issue with it ?

Comment

Originally posted by johnim View Post
              hi limboy777

you need to make a cable here 23pin to the wire that comes with the gbs

which plugs in behind the vga port

then you plug in a 5v 2a psu and a standard vga cable to one of the vga out ports to your tv/monitor

Thanks john

What about using this for a amstrad mega pc, can i just connect the vga from the mega pc to this and then from this to the monitor?
              Im looking a a Infra red CDTV mouse and CDTV External Hard Drive and Amiga x1000 case or even full unit. Please contact me.

Comment

hi limboy777

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLuykrAIkfc hes using standard monitor on his
                Gone but not forgotten. RIP John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnim View Post
                  hi limboy777

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLuykrAIkfc hes using standard monitor on his

Hi john, the one in the video is a multisync monitor so works with the mega pc.

Im looking to use the gbs and see if I can connect to my my tv (with VGA) or my pc monitor.
                  Im looking a a Infra red CDTV mouse and CDTV External Hard Drive and Amiga x1000 case or even full unit. Please contact me.

Comment

If any other snes users were interested BadAd84 has done me a cable and mod to the gbs 8220 to bring compatability for snes with modern lcd/led tvs. It also looks like it works with the megadrive although i prefer my kanaan hd upscaler for the md.

As far as i can tell the gbs 8220 is the best solution for giving the optimum picture for snes on a modern lcd or led tv (far better than standard scart connection)
                    A1200 3.1 6GB HD OS 3.9, ACA1230 @ 28mhz 64mb RAM, PCMCIA Ethernet Card

A1200 3.0 4GB CF OS 3.1, Blizzard 1220 8mb

Comment

Hi,
                      I have a question will I be able to connect an old VGA card (with a 720 x 400 @ 70 Hz resolution) to this and get a standard ouput at 60 Hz?

Comment

Can a 23 pin to 15 pin converter not be used as an input source for this - such as those on AmigaKit - and then connect to the VGA "in" socket on the board?
                        Last edited by Sanxion; 13 January 2018, 17:16.

Comment

Originally posted by mjnurney View Post
                          Does any of this matter ?

No not really it means I can pass through and auto switch from VGA Picasso to VGA native Amiga without me doing anything. Joy
                          Sorry if the quote above makes it clear but do you mean I can use this, for example on an Atari ST, with a VGA INPUT and passthrough that with no scaling and have it scale up the low/med res modes. Similarly with Amiga DblPAL etc...???
                          FS Amithlon Hackintosh System

Comment

I know that this thread is old but I got a brand new GBS 8220. This one has one vga in and one vga out. I wired the cables like in the pic below. I am using a psu 5v 1A and though the red led in 8220 is lit properly, my A600 is showing black screen (actually the vga monitor remains in stand by mode).

Is that wiring diagram incorrect?

Click image for larger version

Name:	23-connected_4-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	1467294

Comment

I think you need to have a resistor on the Sync wire:

Last edited by fatbob_gb; 29 January 2019, 13:58.

Comment