X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: TANX (Amiga version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYtqZ2WFcIM

TANX

was a PD game made in 1991 by Gaz Roberts and it was released on a cover disk of erm....i forget Amiga Format probably (not sure). I got this in 1991 and played against my brothers then and we played it this summer when i was cleaning up an A500

Anyway TANX is a great game for 2 players , no computer option here. You command a small tank on a random landscape and the object is to kill the other player.

and a cracking sound sample from A Bridge too far (film 1977)

BUT

its not a case of the quickest shot, oh no... we have lots of variables such as.

Random landscape - the computer may but a mountain in front of your tank!
    wind - light zephyr to gale force
    gravity - Isaac newtons best friend
    fans and puller - fans to change the local wind direction.

but you can of course move the tank too...but only on the flat! Use the arrow keys as i recall.

hey its a British Leyland tank ok!

I really recommend this game , yes its a quick and short game but it has great sound effects , clever scrolling and is great fun over a beer with a pal.

its PD too , so i think i can link an ADF ?

http://www.amigapd.com Amiga PD programs list. Click on Downloads and then 'T'

Its a OCS/ECS A500/600 game and as i recall it works just fine on the AGA machines too.
    Its a floppy image as it was on a cover disk...

have fun,
    mike
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mjnurney; 21 January 2013, 17:52.
    http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...ht=apollo+libs

Oh, I used to play this game with my mate "whiskas" when I was young. Thanks for the nostalgia trip! Good pick in the PD retro chest!
    Been away for a long time, time for comeback?

Comment

PD games are allowed, so you can put a link.

I enjoyed Tanx, too. There is an AGA version, IIRC. Was a multi-tank controller against a second player or CPU (I might be wrong and it is a totally different game).
      David Bradley made Ctrl+Alt+Del, Gates turn it mandatory
      16 Amigas at home
      3x C= 64
      1 VIC-20
      8 PC (argh) at least one is an AROS/Amithlon unit

Comment

me and my brother played this to death when we were younger, one of the best pd games ever in my opinion

Comment

Always played this with friends on a Friday after school, great game

Comment

Played this ALOT back in the day with my lil brother. Great little game.
            too many toys, too little time...

Comment

Ahh, I remember this, was rather addictive, came with Amiga Action I think, as that was the magazine I got every month.

Great game as others have said.
              • ESCOM A1200 : Apollo 1240/33 Fastata, 16gb compact flash, cdrom : C= A1200 Aca 1232/40 4gb compact flash : A600 stock : 4mb A500 : 1.5mb A500+ : C128D : C64c + Oceanic 118 : Snes : : Megadrive : Saturn : Dreamcast : Gameboy : Gamboy pocket jap nes colour, gameboy pocket jap green, GBA sp red GBA sp silver : PS2 Slim :Ps3 superslim : Xbox

Comment

Remember that as well, great and addictive game with two players. Played it a lot with my friend back then too. But it's not only Tanx. There're so many great shareware/licenceware/PD games for Amiga, which they have nothing to envy from commercial games.
                You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around
                you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.

> GO EAST

Comment

Like the greek mah-jong game (Shangaii?)
                  David Bradley made Ctrl+Alt+Del, Gates turn it mandatory
                  16 Amigas at home
                  3x C= 64
                  1 VIC-20
                  8 PC (argh) at least one is an AROS/Amithlon unit

Comment

This game is a classic! Scorched Tanks is also cool:
                    http://hol.abime.net/3816
                    CD32 A500

Comment

yeah, scorched tanks is the one i used to play
                      Official Amiga Walker

Comment

Originally posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
                        This game is a classic! Scorched Tanks is also cool:
                        http://hol.abime.net/3816
                        1993 was after my exit from the amiga, unfortunately. i was then playing another such game on the pc - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorche...h_(video_game)
                        too many toys, too little time...

Comment

Yeah, I remember Scorched Earth on the PC. My impression at the time, was that this was the original and that the others were follow ups to ride the wave. But it's maybe just because I saw scorched earth first. Does anyone know which game came first? Regardless of platform?
                          Been away for a long time, time for comeback?

Comment

its alot like scorched tanks,like everyone else has said.
                            i have got too much hardware,it would only hurt your eyes to look at it here

Comment

Just played TANX for the first time - I do like it actually - great game.
                              Now, how to install to hard drive rather than the floppy its on. Perhaps I need to investigate using WHDLOAD to create such a setup - any suggestions (is it easy to create a WHDLOAD package for a relatively simple game like this?)

Cheers
                              A1200 (1D4) (Recapped by Bad_Ad84 in Nov 2012) -3.1 Roms,CWB 3.9, Blizzard 1260 (60mhz - Rev6 Latest Mask),SCSI Kit (SCSI-IDE Bridge + 8Gb CF), 192mb, Mediator + soundcard, USB, NIC, Voodoo 3. A1200 (1A) Checkmate case 3.2 Roms (recapped and modded by TheCorfiot in December 2015) Indy Mk 2, B1230 MKIV 32MB, RR USB, AOS3.2 8Gb CF. My Amibay Blog is here.

Comment