Amiga A1200 Tower Project.

Just a quick update for this thread. I have added some Letraset markings for the connectors. Image added to the end of page 1.

Beautiful job mate !

I'm looking forward to making the same (thanks for the template).

The only difference is I will had few openings for future connections:

- 2x VGA shapes for Indivision output and BVision (in case I want both... :D)
- DB 25 for small SCSI from Blizzard card extension
- large SCSI for... provision

etc.

I will also look for the layout of a mini ATX PSU (and the fan) so I can place it (them) on the AutoCad drawing prior to Laser cut the steel or aluminium plate.

Great thread anyway !

If I have a chance to complete the work, will also load the drawings... May not be for tomorrow, though as I'd like to find a White C-case first. :whistle:

Class Job

Class Job

Not in the same league as you mate, Im just going to remove the rear of the case, remove the inside metal, keep a 10mm frame around it, then add the metal sheet to the inside of the frame and do all the cut outs like yours

Nice to see some folks having a go :). Some interesting ideas too.

Sorry I haven't kept this thread going, my heads into guitars at the moment.

Regards,
Ed.

I was wondering why not using the PCI tray from the Gaming tower itself ?

It seems possible to remove the rivets and to install it on the new back plate...

8.jpg

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

I just received my Commodore Gaming PC case and will go down the same avenue soon... :p

Hope to be as successful ! :bowdown:

I was wondering why not using the PCI tray from the Gaming tower itself ?

It seems possible to remove the rivets and to install it on the new back plate...

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

I just received my Commodore Gaming PC case and will go down the same avenue soon... :p

Hope to be as successful ! :bowdown:

Hi Rakeim132,

Yeah you're absolutely right, I could have reused the PCI slots, but I wanted to keep the original panel intact, just in case I wanted to revert.

If you're going to hack the existing rear panel you may not want to remove all of it as suggested by one of the other posters, just remove the inner face and leave the outer perimeter with the bends and fixings ...wish I'd done that now as it's a great idea. Just leave enough edge to fix the new panel to it.

All the best and good luck with your project. (y)

Cheers,
Ed

I often wish i was skilled with cutting tools to make some great mods like this one.

@ Ed.D

Absolutely stunning hand tool work. Truly an Ami-Jedi Master indeed. :nod:

Lyra2 Wiring

Lyra2 Wiring

Ed.D firstly, beautiful work you are to be commended.

I'm trying to do something similar and have come merstly to the same point as you did with the half-height SMD 44pin PLCC socket I grabbed last weekend. I've been trying to sus out which pins to solder. Can I trouble you please to tell me which pin the grey and green wire are using on the new socket? Preferably how many pins it is to the closest corner. Thanks heaps for your time and wonderful photo's!

I'm trying to get the following to all play nice:

- Apollo 1240 (28Mhz clocked with a 40Mhz 040)
- 32mb FAST
- PCI Radeon 9200 with 256Mb
- Subway
- Lyra2
- FastATA-IV (Grr! arrgh...etc)
- 10/100 Etherwebs
- Creative labs Hissmaster-9000 (Think it's a 128)

Al.

Hello Uridium,

With the board in its normal orientation, it's the third pin from the right, or the reference corner(whatever it's called:) )

Good luck with your project (y)

Here's a better picture.

plcc.jpg

Last edited:
Overhead shots

Overhead shots

Oh Ed.D ..seriously bless you and all that sail in ye! Thank you for the clear photo :) :) :) :) Going to warm up the soldering iron now. Stuff cooking dinner!!!

Thanks again!

What a STUNNING project ! I tip my hat to you sir. I am a turner, miller, fitter by trade and i honestly thought the back pannel had been machined. I have recently delved back in to the world of amiga and now understand the lure of an A1200 tower. Once i have sourced the setup i want this project has inspired me to do the same but instead of a tower im going to try using a media pc case.
You sir are an inspiration and a bonsfie genius

Does anyone know where I can buy a C= gaming case?

I want to get cracking!

Cheers.

here mate on first post

- 1 x "Be-Quiet" SFX 350Watt Micro ATX Power Supply Unit.

here mate on first post

- 1 x "Be-Quiet" SFX 350Watt Micro ATX Power Supply Unit.
Hummm... It's dimensions (12.5 cm x 10 cm x 6.4 cm) look perfect to put it inside the Amiga brick.

@Retrofan,

The PSU innerds would probably fit in an A500 brick casing, but I doubt they'd fit in an A1200's. The Bequiet is rather expensive too if you were going to rip out the guts and re-use, it would seem a shame to do that. I believe Scan UK have less expensive ones but I have no experience with them or idea of how quiet they are.

Good luck with your build. :D (y)

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

@Jaymz,

There may still be a few C= Gaming Cases left available from a couple of sellers here on Amibay. Best bet is to place a Wanted Ad in the Hardware section.

All the best,
Ed.

I'd like to use one of these PCI card holder on the same project :

pci-01-03s.jpg
pci-01-04s.jpg

They are coming from LIAN LI catalogue... Still have to cut the opening nicely, which is my issue at the moment as it can't be purely designed on computer: it has to be mocked-up...

I'm probably ending-up cutting a first backplate and then making a mock-up before cutting the final back plate... Lucky I just found a local supplier. :D

Your thread is a real inspiration, mate. (y)

Back
Top Bottom