No announcement yet.

AA3000+ Amiga 3000 AGA motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not understand why people are interested in IDE connection, IDE is just as old as SCSI.

But for a Amiga 3000 SCSI must there.
    I think Many people like the rattle the SCSI HDD. Anyhow I like the noise on the Amiga 3000.

Instead of IDE one can take SATA. So I mean, SCSI and 2xSATA
    There is only one best Amiga 4000t around the Universe. It's mine
    Cooler Master HAF-X, CSPPC+CVPPC, Acard SCSI to SSD, V-Lab Motion, Frame Machine, INDI AGA, Ratte AMS, BigRam+, X-Surf, RapidRoad, PCD-50B SCSI Card Reader.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberstormer View Post
      I do not understand why people are interested in IDE connection, IDE is just as old as SCSI.

But for a Amiga 3000 SCSI must there.
      I think Many people like the rattle the SCSI HDD. Anyhow I like the noise on the Amiga 3000.

Instead of IDE one can take SATA. So I mean, SCSI and 2xSATA
      IDE devices are still much more readily available and a lot cheaper.
      If you are into failing, decade old drives, then okay. But if you want to use modern flash media, all SCSI solutions I know of are at least 10 times as expensive as their IDE equivalent. SCSI on Amiga is generally much faster, though...

Comment

Originally posted by alan.turner View Post
        Absolutely outstanding stuff

i really wish someone could build and sell these populated - we don’t all have the skills sadly!
        I would also be interested in a complete motherboard and daughter board combination, this is such an impressive piece of work, well done.
        A1200 32GB SD Blizzard 1230/50 MKIV INDI AGA MK2CR with HDMI out, A3000HD, AA3000+ A3660/050 INDI AGA MK2CR with HDMI out

Comment

Incredible work Hese!

Interested in one bare board or complete set depending on details.

Version 2 suggestions:
          1. Faster CPU on MB.
          2. Faster SCSI on MB.
          3. DSP clock options.
          4. Modern video output (DVI/HDMI)

Comment

Interested in (2) complete sets please.

Comment

hi!
              great job....
              intrested in 1 complete. board + daughter board

Comment

@hese

This is awesome news, fantastic project! Congrats and thanx for all the hard work. Only one question, does it work with the Video Toaster?

Comment

I haven't tested it with a Video Toaster so I don't know but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. Video Toaster 4000 is compatible with A2000, A3000 and A4000. When the Video Toaster is considered, the AA3000+ is closer to A4000 (AGA chipset) than A3000 so the Video Toaster 4000 should run at full speed on AA3000+.
                  Last edited by hese; 23 October 2019, 14:26.

Comment

Thanx for answering my question so quickly.

Comment

This looks great! I've expressed interest in the sale thread and PMed for payment info. I'm fortunate to already have a spare complete AGA chipset, 030, FPU, and many of the other needed components so this will be a quick build.

Question: Does the flicker fixer's 514221 field memory need to be the 30ns MSM514221B you have pictured, or can the 40ns 514221A parts be used too? Does the flicker fixer work in both NTSC and PAL? I'm not too concerned about the NTSC support since it looks like an A1200 Indivision would probably fit, but I'm curious to know either way.

Regards!
                      Last edited by dkedrowitsch; 24 October 2019, 19:04.

Comment

Hello Hese. Are you going to offer the service for fully assembled boards? If so I might be interested. I can supply the AGA chipset...
                        Proud owner of all existing models of Amiga except A3000T...
                        By the way, anyone has a A3000T for sale?

Comment

Very nice AA3000+.

Comment

These look great but please consider removing the on-board CPU, for most users this is redundant and just adds to the board's complexity and cost.

IMHO the point of these reproduction motherboards is for people to build a working computer cheaply by using as many modern components as possible, fixing decades old design issues while remaining (largely) compatible would be a nice bonus

Will these fit in the new Checkmate case?

Hopefully you can find a retailer to offer fully populated boards one day
                            Last edited by NovaCoder; 31 October 2019, 22:08.
                            Happiness is a warm Compiler.....

Comment

@NovaCoder - Wait, what? A little presumptuous, aren't we? I'll be assembling one of these and fully intend to use the 030/68882. I've got a collection of 3000s and plenty of spare motherboards so I can assure you I'm not building this because it's a "cheap" solution. Besides, an 030 with MMU is what, like $15 on eBay? Good luck finding an A3640/A3660 for that little.

Regardless, the AA3000 is considered a Unicorn amongst many of us Amiga 3000 enthusiasts and I'm perfectly happy to spend the necessary funds for a fully functional feature-parity reproduction. Hese did an amazing job sticking to the original design goals of the AA3000/A3000+ while eliminating the need for some of the now unobtanium components.

If you want a "largely compatible" cost-reduced Amiga built with modern components, that's what emulation or even upcoming FPGA designs are for.

So, please don't try to speak for the entire community because your views most certainly do not align with everyone. If you don't want to use the on-board CPU/FPU just leave them off. After all... more options instead of less is a good thing, right?

Sight rant: Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions but I really struggle to understand the logic behind some of the comments in this thread. Asking for IDE instead of SCSI? Theres already three perfectly good AGA Amigas models with IDE...the A1200, A4000, and A4000T. In fact, the ONLY major difference between the AA3000/A3000+ and A4000 (besides the DSP) IS the DMA SCSI interface. ATX power supply? There's already at least one ATX 4000 motherboard design out there. The AA3000/A3000+ was intended to be an evolution of the A3000 that dropped right into the original A3000 case, which is exactly how I intend to use it.

These look great but please consider removing the on-board CPU, for most users this is redundant and just adds to the board's complexity and cost.

IMHO the point of these reproduction motherboards is for people to build a working computer cheaply by using as many modern components as possible, fixing decades old design issues while remaining (largely) compatible would be a nice bonus
                              Last edited by dkedrowitsch; 1 November 2019, 13:58.

Comment

Originally posted by NovaCoder View Post

Will these fit in the new Checkmate case?

Hopefully you can find a retailer to offer fully populated boards one day
                                Hese created a masterpiece, amazing that so much talent exists in the Amiga community. Hese, Chucky, Acill, and many others have given Amigas new life. I will take it and even add a DSP that isn't supported (yet) just for the fun of it.

The checkmate will not mount a 3000, ironically it mounts a 500 .

Comment