Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic cover for Amiga 1000

Hi Guys,

I've been working on an acrylic top cover for Amiga 1000 to replace the existing top cover.

We already have a prototype (see pictures), but we are going to amend the design to ease manufacturing (reduce costs) and also we will be designing a packaging so we can ship worldwide.

I'm in Australia but we are working from Europe, which explains why it takes a bit more time than I thoughts - also I want to deliver a product with great quality!

I'm originally doing this for me and for a couple of friends, for our GBA1000 which have all whistles and bells (TK060 @ 100 MHz, Picasso II, USB...), but if there are enough interest I will be considering a group sale.

Let me know your thoughts... and your interest!

01. Where the idea came from ?
    From this picture taken during the 30 years Amiga Anniversary event in USA...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1592418

02. First 3D design attempts on Google Sketchup:
    I wanted the cover to be fully functional, especially capable to hold a modern LCD monitor, so I added the retaining posts, and some stiffeners.

Name:	Pic02.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1592419 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic03.jpg
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	1592420

03. First prototype manufactured after I sent few original Amiga 1000 parts:
    Still few adjustments to be made but the first trial is not too bad...

Name:	Pic04.jpg
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	1592421 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic05.jpg
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	1592422 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic06.jpg
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	1592423 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic07.jpg
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	1592424 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic08.jpg
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	1592425

Edit -- We are now looking at simplifying the design in order to make the manufacturing easier, more repeatable, and increase the final visual quality of the product.

Another concern is risks of damages during shipment, so I'm working with a famous company to offer a great packaging solution, without too much jeopardizing the final cost of the project.

More details to come.
    Last edited by Rakeim132; 30 September 2021, 00:04.
    Proud owner of all existing models of Amiga except A3000T...
    By the way, anyone has a A3000T for sale?

Count me in.
    A4000 rev B, fully recapped boards and PSU with Noctua NF-R8, PIO-2 Upgrade, CyberStorm MKII 060@50 MHz with 128MB RAM, Micromys V4
    OS 3.1, 40.68 ROMs, Plextor Premium, 2x Chinon FZ-357A, CF-IDE Adaptor with 4GB Card, Ariadne, Deneb, Picasso IV, Concierto, KryoFlux

Comment

I'm there for the purchase, count on me, I'd like at least a couple (Two)

Nevio76

Comment

Hello.
        Thanks all for your feedback already.
        This thread is to discuss the design, the intention, the aesthetic aspect, the technical solutions, but nothing else.
        If you have ideas or suggestions, please discuss them in this thread.
        Show me your machines! [emoji4]
        IF we decide to produce more beyond our mini series on 10 currently agreed with the manufacturer (after we make some practical changes), THEN I will open a specific sales thread on the right Forum.
        Thank you.

Comment

One thing you'll want to bear in mind is that the RF shield is a necessity for preventing interference to CRT monitors. That being said, most of the internals are basically hidden under that shield. That sort of makes the point of a see-through acrylic top unnecessary (for me). However, the added strength may be a benefit.
          Last edited by JoeUser; 29 September 2021, 14:32.

Comment

Declaring interest. I have a clear backplate that would pair up with this quite nicely.
            My machine has a Rejuvenator in it - without the RF shielding - and I've never had an issue with the 1080 CRT above.

If I ever get to demo the machine again in a group setting, a clear top would be really nice to keep things safe and sound.
            And it'd be ½ the distance to the entirely clear b/w Mac case out there.

(Holy smoke, if these were injection moulded...)
            Last edited by intric8; 29 September 2021, 18:22. Reason: typo

Comment

Following this thread with great interest

Originally posted by Rakeim132 View Post
              Show me your machines!

Name:	GBA.jpg
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	1472330

Comment

Very Interested in this.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeUser View Post
                  One thing you'll want to bear in mind is that the RF shield is a necessity for preventing interference to CRT monitors. That being said, most of the internals are basically hidden under that shield. That sort of makes the point of a see-through acrylic top unnecessary (for me). However, the added strength may be a benefit.
                  Well, firstly I have no more shields in my multiple machines and never noticed any interference ; the first thing to go when I refurbish a machine is the "shield" whic most of the time is rusty, ugly, and incompatible with new hardware and hacks.
                  Secondly the purpose of this project is to show the guts of a lovely machine (i.e. the GBA1000), so I will surely not install a CRT on top of it...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by intric8 View Post
                  Declaring interest. I have a clear backplate that would pair up with this quite nicely.
                  My machine has a Rejuvenator in it - without the RF shielding - and I've never had an issue with the 1080 CRT above.

If I ever get to demo the machine again in a group setting, a clear top would be really nice to keep things safe and sound.
                  And it'd be ½ the distance to the entirely clear b/w Mac case out there.

(Holy smoke, if these were injection moulded...)
                  Thank you for your message, and yes for the interference (they exist only in the mind of some people).

If you have a clear backplate cut by PlexiLaser.de I also have one and I'm very disappointed by the quality... The dimensions are totally wrong (way smaller than the original in my case).

Well, injection molding is not on the menu unless people want to pay thousands of $$ and not tens... but I'm thinking about something for the signatures... I won't make any promise yet or disclose anything yet.

Comment

Hey that is beautiful! Now I wish I had an A1000 even more...

What software are you using for your 3D design? I was really happy with Solidworks but they changed the license, now it's a cloud-only Maker license (like Fusion360) and is so slow it's unusable (like Fusion360). Have started to look into Alibre 3D, mid-priced as far as they go. I see Sketchup but probably you went to something else...
                    Last edited by Aeberbach; 29 September 2021, 23:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeberbach View Post
                      Hey that is beautiful! Now I wish I had an A1000 even more...
                      What software are you using for your 3D design? I was really happy with Solidworks but they changed the license, now it's a cloud-only Maker license (like Fusion360) and is so slow it's unusable (like Fusion360). Have started to look into Alibre 3D, mid-priced as far as they go. I see Sketchup but probably you went to something else...
                      I'm using Google Sketchup. But the design is really simple so anything would do, really...
                      The main issue is to have a proper design of the environment (the Amiga 1000 surrounding parts and of the attachment interfaces on these parts).
                      Not having a 3D scanner is a problem for accuracy and that's why we are using the real parts for the final assembly...

- - - Updated - - -

... And my machine, which will receive this cover.
                      Credit to GSeb for the assembly of this wonderful masterpiece of Amiga.

Name:	GBA1000-01.jpg
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	1472332 Click image for larger version

Name:	GBA1000-00.jpg
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	1472333

Comment

Very cool, Would like to Show my A1000 in Shows With this case
                        Own A500/600/1000/1200/2000/3000D/3000T/4000D/CDTV/CD32
                        Working Projects * A3660 Build done * ReAmiga1200 Build * A4000 Alice Build * GBA1000 Build * Member VCFE Switzerland

Comment

Yep, very cool!
                          I am very interested

Comment

Very interessting. I was Georg Braun´s Betatester for GBA1000 and all expansions.
                            That is exactly what i needed for the Amiga meetings, when i presented the GBA1000, because i had to open the Amiga 1000 many times because everyone wantet to see inside.
                            Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Evillord68 View Post
                              Very interessting. I was Georg Braun´s Betatester for GBA1000 and all expansions.
                              That is exactly what i needed for the Amiga meetings, when i presented the GBA1000, because i had to open the Amiga 1000 many times because everyone wantet to see inside.
                              Good work.
                              Thanks mate for the kind words.
                              With a bit of luck if I can complete this project you might have a chance to get one.

Comment