Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amstrad / ZX Spectrum +3 Floppy Drive Hack.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AC adapter as +5v and Ground, witch connect to the +5v (Red) on the floppy and on the adjacent Ground (Black next to Red) on the Floppy.

Hope that helps.
    A1200 ACA1233n || A1000/A2000/A500/A500+/A600|| + 8,16,32 bit systems

Comment

If you wanted something different on the normal +2's you could always hack it and fit a top loading or slot cd drive and just put the games on an audio cd. Its what i might be doing soon.

Comment

Originally posted by JLPedro View Post
        The AC adapter as +5v and Ground, witch connect to the +5v (Red) on the floppy and on the adjacent Ground (Black next to Red) on the Floppy.

Hope that helps.
        Ahh thanks, cant wait to try this out now

Comment

I love stuff like this and I joined the forum because of this thread!

Recently I saved my wife's mobile phone from the bin. Her charger split the connector lead. After hunting around a few charity shops for a mobile phone charger to replace her busted one I ended up with 4 of them with power ratings of around 4.5v to 5v so the left over ones will be great for this disk drive mod. Ive always wanted a 3 1/2 drive on my +3 but the thought of hacking things about kinda put me off.
          Now I can easily find an external drive case in my storage and cobble one together

Comment

Just made myself one of these using a Samsung 321B, only need to finish the external casing and external power supply .
            Tested on my CPC6128 and works flawlessly writing disks with CPCdiskXP (http://www.cpcmania.com/), on the +3 only able to use side A, I'm using SAMdisk (http://simonowen.com/samdisk/) to write +3 .dsk files using --fix command, i can write both files using both Head 0 and 1 but the Speccy +3 doesn't read the file write with Head 1.

Does anyone knows a better way to write +3 floppy images?

When finished will post some fotos .

Thanks Jasey!!!
            A1200 ACA1233n || A1000/A2000/A500/A500+/A600|| + 8,16,32 bit systems

Comment

Just made myself one of these using a Samsung 321B, only need to finish the external casing and external power supply .
              Tested on my CPC6128 and works flawlessly writing disks with CPCdiskXP (http://www.cpcmania.com/), on the +3 only able to use side A, I'm using SAMdisk (http://simonowen.com/samdisk/) to write +3 .dsk files using --fix command, i can write both files using both Head 0 and 1 but the Speccy +3 doesn't read the file write with Head 1.

<b>Does anyone knows a better way to write +3 floppy images? <b/>

Thanks Jasey!!!
              Thats what I'm looking for too...
              Also, does anyone know where to buy premade enclosures?

Comment

I managed to pick up the exact same floppy drive like the one in the o/p's guide. But I need to clarify a few small things.

1. What pins do the 3 wires go to on the toggle switches? Finding it hard to see them on the pictures properly...

2. Do you have to use the switches or could I just stick to side 1 only? Somebody else stated +3 disk images didnt work right on side b?

3. Putting a jumper wire on HD detect switch, the circuit board holding this is upside down and only one layer. I assume the whole metal plate and motor has to come off so I can get to it?

Hopefully you guys will know what im babbling on about
                Thanx.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
                  I managed to pick up the exact same floppy drive like the one in the o/p's guide. But I need to clarify a few small things.

1. What pins do the 3 wires go to on the toggle switches? Finding it hard to see them on the pictures properly...

2. Do you have to use the switches or could I just stick to side 1 only? Somebody else stated +3 disk images didnt work right on side b?

3. Putting a jumper wire on HD detect switch, the circuit board holding this is upside down and only one layer. I assume the whole metal plate and motor has to come off so I can get to it?

Hopefully you guys will know what im babbling on about
                  Thanx.
                  On switch 1, "Ground" goes to centre, "Drive Select" goes to either side - it doesn't really matter

On switch 2, "Ground" also goes to centre, "Head Select" goes to either side - it doesn't really matter

The switches are not necessary, but games don't usually work from Drive B. Without the switches, the drive will (probably) just override drive A:

Again, if you don't fancy doing the HD trick, you can either use DSDD floppys, or put a bit of tape over the HD hole in the floppy.

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

Originally posted by UNiX View Post

<b>Does anyone knows a better way to write +3 floppy images? <b/>

Thanks Jasey!!!
                  Thats what I'm looking for too...
                  Also, does anyone know where to buy premade enclosures?
                  cpcdiskxp from http://www.cpcmania.com/ is my writer of choice. It works in Win7/64 bit too, which is nice.

The premade enclosure was one from a broken external amiga drive... ebay is a nice, but expensive place to get one. Maybe ask in the "wanted" section here for something a bit cheaper? (like whut I did)

Comment

I'm such an idiot! Ive just released that all odd pins on the floppy connector are ground... spent ages trying to figure out what pin 21 was wired to I'm guessing this is just the ground connection for pins 12 & 32.

Just ordered my first soldering iron to try this out on my +3... cant wait.
                    Last edited by wmsteele; 1 October 2011, 23:15.

Comment

Its Alive!

Learning to solder was not as straight forward as I had first thought, although fairly pleased with the results...

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	1428597 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010018.jpg
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	1428596

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010020.jpg
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	1428598 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010021.jpg
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	1428599

Just needs a quick pant job and it will be perfect

Using the switches I can select the external drive as drive A (the internal drive is then ignored), this boots disks written using Samdisk on your PC. The second switch can be used to select the disk side (1 or 2 / head 0 or 1) again Samdisk can be used to write to both sides (use the --flip command for side 2). This works really well for games that use both sides of a disk, when the change side message is displayed all you need to do is flick a switch. Also works well for single sided games as you can have a different game on each side.
                      Last edited by wmsteele; 1 October 2011, 23:46.

Comment

@wmsteele

Awesome - thanks for sharing!
                        Flux Mastah' Zee
                        50 L337 1'M W1R3FR4M3

Comment

Originally posted by tokyoracer View Post
                          If you ever consider selling one of these (or making them for peeps) please let me know!
                          Seconded

Comment

mmmm

Can't get this to work with an old Mitsumi 1.44 drive I have here.

Keeps telling me Drive is not ready & neither floppy drive responds...

Boot up screen tells me I have B: drive though...

Think I need to find another Floppy Drive to try it out...

TC
                            Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow June 2016, I Was There

Comment

It could be the cable your using, it needs to have only the two connectors on it. The one I'm using was made by cutting an old floppy cable that had enough connections for 4 disk drives.

3.5 connector --> 3.5 connector (remove) --> 5.25 connector --> (cut) cable twist --> 3.5 connector --> 5.25 connector.

This needs cut just before the cable twist and then remove the middle 3.5 connector.

Before cutting the cable I gave it a go as is and noticed that the plus 3 reported drive B was available but wouldn't respond properly. If both internal and external drives are non responsive it must be the cable.

Comment

Cheers for the tip...

I have already made a pin 1 - pin1 34 way cable with no twists...

Pin 1 on the +3 is from the RHS if looking from the front of the Speccy...

I have an older floppy I will try soon.

TC
                                Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow June 2016, I Was There

Comment