Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amstrad / ZX Spectrum +3 Floppy Drive Hack.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akira View Post
    But it seems in this post none of the modifications applied in the link you give are made, just some buttons added. No cut traces, no resistor swapping, nothing.
    Well, then just don't do additional steps. I have several Sony drives already converted for Amiga use, and I just used one of those. You can probably use non-converted one without problems (maybe try conversion steps later if it doesn't work).

Comment

Will ANY HD PC drive work on a CPC 6128 using this method? I read you needed a DD Drive, not HD. But there's a lot of Sony-MPF920 on eBay I can nab if this works with HD drives.

I also have two spare Amiga floppy drives, but I assume these won't work. Am I right?

Im planning to connect it internally, I suppose same method works. Also that I can remove the internal 3" drive without problems using this method.
      Wasn't the +12V header backwards inside, therefore I have to invert it?

What about tehse floppy emulators? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-1-44MB...-/231004353057
      Any PC Floppy drive will work, but some ar easier to modify (Ready signal etc) than others. The MPF920 is one of the more difficult ones to modify.

Regarding internal installation: Yes, the power connector on the CPC has 5V and 12V swapped, you'll need to swap these or you'll fry the drive. The CPC also uses a 26way header for the 3in drive, so you'll need to make one of these adapters too: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/DIY:...F_HxC_emulator

Bryce.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce View Post
        Any PC Floppy drive will work, but some ar easier to modify (Ready signal etc) than others. The MPF920 is one of the more difficult ones to modify.
        Thanks for your info Bryce!
        What about a drive taken out of an Amiga?
        I have one I took from an external drive and although a bit noisy it works fine.
        Would it work straight away with no modifications?

Comment

Amiga drives have the DC/RY signals and id set the same way as they are in Amiga so it should work as A: drive straight up.
          AMIGA 4000 060/50, AMIGA 1200 030/50, AMIGA 500, C128D, C128, C64C, C64, C16, Vic-20, Atari 520 STE, Atari 65 XE, Philips NMS-8250 MSX2, Sinclair Spectrum +3e, Sinclair Spectrum 48k, Amstrad CPC 6128, Amstrad CPC464, Oric Atmos, Apple Macintosh Classic, Apple IIGS, BBC Master, Memotech MTX500

Comment

OK I need some floppies now to test this.
            But then I'll have to figure out how to transfer a disk to the Amstrad.
            The plot thickens :P

Comment

you can write the disks on a pc,i think the software is called cpcdiskxp or something similar.
              i also think you will also need another piece of software to use this,cant remember what at the mo though.
              i have got too much hardware,it would only hurt your eyes to look at it here

Comment

Originally posted by roy_bates View Post
                you can write the disks on a pc,i think the software is called cpcdiskxp or something similar.
                i also think you will also need another piece of software to use this,cant remember what at the mo though.
                A piece of software on the Amstrad you mean?
                CPCdiskXP looks exactly as what I want. I have a USB floppy drive. Thanks!
                Last edited by Akira; 24 January 2014, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by roy_bates View Post
                  A piece of software on the Amstrad you mean?
                  CPCdiskXP looks exactly as what I want. I have a USB floppy drive. Thanks!

no mate,another piece of software for the pc to control the drive i think.
                  it will more than likely be discribed in the docs or on the site you download the software from.
                  i think it was www.cpcmania.com

Comment

Yeah I see that now, a low level floppy driver.
                    It comes with it ) Thanks!

[edit] FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Akira; 24 January 2014, 10:28.

Comment

no probs mate.

Comment

[edit] FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
                        I use an old and dirt cheap laptop that can run XP for writing floppies with CPCDiskXP.
                        AMIGA 4000 060/50, AMIGA 1200 030/50, AMIGA 500, C128D, C128, C64C, C64, C16, Vic-20, Atari 520 STE, Atari 65 XE, Philips NMS-8250 MSX2, Sinclair Spectrum +3e, Sinclair Spectrum 48k, Amstrad CPC 6128, Amstrad CPC464, Oric Atmos, Apple Macintosh Classic, Apple IIGS, BBC Master, Memotech MTX500

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean but it goes well beyond the money I want to spend on this machine.
                          I have a Toshiba Libretto but I don't have its floppy drive :/

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean but it goes well beyond the money I want to spend on this machine.
                            Oh laptops can be cheaper than you think. As we cannot discuss prices here I just say that it would've been more expensive to buy a pint of good import lager than what I paid for my Compaq Armada.

Comment

Originally posted by protek View Post
                              Oh laptops can be cheaper than you think. As we cannot discuss prices here I just say that it would've been more expensive to buy a pint of good import lager than what I paid for my Compaq Armada.
                              I thought you couldn't discuss prices on sale threads. This is a rather silly "rule".

Anyway, I have enough junk as it is, I'm very mindful of space at home and I don't want another laptop PC just to transfer disks to a CPC once and never use it again. I Already have the Libretto quite forgotten :/ But it's so small I tuck it away in a drawer and it doesn't bother me.

Comment

Download a DSK image, load it into ManageDSK (you'll find this online too) and write it to a 3.5in disk on your PC (won't work with USB connected floppy drives).

Bryce.

Comment