Hardware Pr0n II: An Amiga 3000 Story

The RPM of the drive won't matter, it's only more noise and heat :-D
These things have more cache on the drive than that your A3000 has in total, so it will never reach it's full throughput, not even with a CS.

To be honest, the scream of the 15,000RPM drives was one of the reasons I decided against it. They're pretty awesome, but as you say, everything about these drives is way overkill for what an Amiga can manage, even with a CSIII/PPC.

That is really amazing :) I hope it is really usable and does store data really to the full partition :Doh: I like to read this thread. To many A1200 / other stuff, while the A3000 has a lot to offer.

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

I had normal scsi drives from servers and indeed, they are not fit to serve an amiga, the noise, is not really desktop.:double At the best some good external device with some modern noise killing materials..

One last photo to round off the night:

03-finished.jpg

Yeah baby, that's right! My A3000 has the lid back on again! There are even a couple of Zorro cards in there, including my fancy-pants new X-Surf 3cc, courtesy of arnljot, and an A-Max Mac emulator board, which I've had kicking about the place for months. One day I'll actually get round to having a play with it!

Night all!

(y)

That, my friends is an SCA SCSI hard disk. It's a Seagate 73GB, 10,000RPM drive. Can you say "overkill?"

Wanna race the 73GB 15,000RPM drive that lives in my A3000? :mrgreen: ;)
Maybe want to compare to my 146Gb A3000? :p

Positive: it can be used as a media server!:LOL:
Negative: sounds like an old & large jet engine at take-off!:picard

@Andy: download some u-toob videos and convert them to HAM6 and play on the Amiga, your friends will not believe it!:nuts:

Race?

Race?

Put my hat in the ring for a race.

See how my trusty 3000D runs with it's CS MKIII with SCSI 3 tied to my OWC SATA 3 SSD drive via Acard 2000 SCSI/SATA adapter...

Replaced the power supply fan with a silent fan, now the beasty is a real sleeper. She is totally silent and real speedy...

One other bonus is after I replaced the PALS with GALS, she runs really cool...

Line em up...

:)

Put my hat in the ring for a race.

See how my trusty 3000D runs with it's CS MKIII with SCSI 3 tied to my OWC SATA 3 SSD drive via Acard 2000 SCSI/SATA adapter...

Replaced the power supply fan with a silent fan, now the beasty is a real sleeper. She is totally silent and real speedy...

One other bonus is after I replaced the PALS with GALS, she runs really cool...

Line em up...

:)

Yeah, one day I'll take out a second mortgage so I can afford a CSIII. That would be awesome!

On the subject of replacing PALs with GALs, how/where do you get suitably programmed GALs?

:)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, one day I'll take out a second mortgage so I can afford a CSIII. That would be awesome!

On the subject of replacing PALs with GALs, how/where do you get suitably programmed GALs?[/QUOTE]

It took me over 20 years to buy the MKIII, it was a bit of a treat to myself.
If I could be totally honest with you, if you could find a Warp Engine 3040 you would be totally happy. The difference between a Warp Engine 3040-040@40MHz (with 64 Megs local ram and SCSI 2 Fast) and a CS MKIII (with 128 Megs local ram and SCSI 3) is not really major.

I prefer the Warp Engine for many reasons:
1. You don't need the Int hack, it contains a jumper to connect to the chip. No solder or removing motherboard.
2. It fits perfectly. The CS MK III requires you to remove a bank of memory to screw it down and much pickier.
3. The WE is a tank, no worries. The MK III has a fragile socket for the 060 you need to be careful about.
4. Should be much more reasonable, but with the rarity of the 3040 I'm afraid it is probably almost as expensive as the CS MK III.

The Warp Engine is the best accelerator I have ever come across. That said the CS is faster, but the visible difference is not that impressive imho.

I bought the gals from Cosimo at Amiga.org. PM him there and see if he has any.

The Gals make a huge difference. With all the work I have done with my 3000D, it runs much cooler than my 4000D. I have found that even though the space is tighter in a 3000D, it moves air much better then a 4000D. The 4000D places the fan is a useless area in the middle of the box that doesn't get much exposure if you have a CD rom installed.

Take care Andy!

Matt

04-internet.jpg

Once you've done it the first time, doing it again is easy peasy! One Amiga 3000, on the 'net and Googling for more Amiga 3000s.

In other news, my PC appears to be behaving itself once more, so I'm finally setting up a large hard drive for my A1200. That's soon to have a 40GB laptop IDE disk inside, ready for some WHDLoad goodness! But that's for another time and another thread...

(y)

Great machine , i have also A3000 (y) my father bought my 3000 new in 92 year in germany

I apologise for not reading the entire thread first but I am very interested to know - Where can I obtain an SCA 80pin to 68pin adaptor?

I will begin with googling, I did try fleabay but got a little stumped.

I apologise for not reading the entire thread first but I am very interested to know - Where can I obtain an SCA 80pin to 68pin adaptor?

I will begin with googling, I did try fleabay but got a little stumped.

This is where I get my SCA80 to 68 pins from.
So these are useful on Cyberstorm MKIII/PPC.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCA-80-AD...t=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item4cef4af72c

And this is SCA80 to 50 pins, so any Amiga 3000D/T, Warpengine 3040/4040, Cyberstorm MKI, Blizzard 2040/2060, GVP HC8+, Oktagon 2008 and so on.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCSI-SCA-...ing_Drive_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4aa5126bf1

I have bought 2 times from this seller, so save him in your account, postage is free, so it's best to order a few of them like 5 or 10.
Delivery is quite fast, so you shouldn't have to wait long.

Remember, and this is really important!
Buy an active terminator with it if you are using 50 pins!
So search ebay as: scsi active terminator
This has to be placed at the end of the line.

So for example:

picture.php

So in this case it's only a HDD setup, the end goes into a 50 pins scsi controller.

picture.php

9 out of 10 times the red line needs to be facing towards the power connector, but not with SCA80 adapters!
So do it like this!

Last edited:
Isopropyl instead

Isopropyl instead

Interesting you using lemon juice for cleaning the chips! How does it compare to ISO-propyl alcohol?

So, following on from this thread:
/showthread.php?t=6275

I've finally got round to giving my A3000 some attention:

sockets.jpg

Shiny new sockets installed, courtesy of a friendly Solder Tech L10 at work.

bathtime.jpg

It's bathtime for three lovely ladies! Agnus, Denise and Paula share an acid-bath in some lemon juice.

chips.jpg

Old chips, new sockets!

motherboard.jpg

An A3000 motherboard in all its glory, after all the chips have been replaced.

desktop.jpg

And does she work? HELL YES! 2MB Chip and 3.5MB Fast (The other 0.5 Fast will have been MMU'd out for the superkickstart image)

sysinfo.jpg

And finally, the obligatory Sysinfo shot. Everyone loves these, right? Interesting that she's 1.03x an A3000. Clearly something's a little nippier than on a normal A3000.

Next stage will be some work on the case. The old girl has been battered to hell, poor soul. I'm thinking maybe a respray in black. What do you guys reckon? More photos as and when I next get a chance to give her some attention!

Lemon Juice isn't for cleaning it's to neutralise the battery acid.

You must then clean the board with IPA after (y)

Glad this has cropped up!

This week I've been trying to get hold of some white vinegar to neutralise some damage on an A500 expansion card for someone that kindly lent me the machine for other purposes. We can't find any. Been to the supermarkets and the health food shops. Health food place reckons their suppliers can't get any either.

So two questions, any idea where I could get some? Or alternatively, if I use lemon juice, excuse the ignorance but are we literally talking about buying some lemons and squeezing them??

Thanks.

Glad this has cropped up!

This week I've been trying to get hold of some white vinegar to neutralise some damage on an A500 expansion card for someone that kindly lent me the machine for other purposes. We can't find any. Been to the supermarkets and the health food shops. Health food place reckons their suppliers can't get any either.

So two questions, any idea where I could get some? Or alternatively, if I use lemon juice, excuse the ignorance but are we literally talking about buying some lemons and squeezing them??

Thanks.

You could squeeze a real Lemon if you like or just buy the bottled stuff you put on pancakes :D

What's the reasoning behind using lemon juice if you clean the board with IPA anyway? A good scrub with IPA and a rinse should remove any acid.

I've done some repairs where capacitors had leaked and started to corrode some traces, I just dipped in 99% IPA, scrubbed, rinsed with de-ionised water and allowed to dry completely (blowing with compressed nitrogen and oven heating works very well). I haven't seen any further damage, I'm pretty certain all the contamination has been removed.

I didn't think IPA neutralized the acid?

The danger of battery damage with the 3k is the middle layer of the board traps the acid and can cause problems long after the board has been cleaned...

You could squeeze a real Lemon if you like or just buy the bottled stuff you put on pancakes :D

What, the stuff in the lemon shaped bottle? Jif Lemon or whatever it's called? I always thought that was diluted and therefore no good. But to be fair I like neither lemons or pancakes so I'm no expert :LOL:

I didn't think IPA neutralized the acid?

The danger of battery damage with the 3k is the middle layer of the board traps the acid and can cause problems long after the board has been cleaned...

The IPA won't neutralize it, but it will displace it, though you might need some elbow grease too. I'm not too convinced that acid could seep into internal layers as it's almost always a surface corrosion effect and the epoxy and fibreglass don't seem to effected by it. I've never seen any delamination due to battery or capacitor goo for example.

I just think the lemon juice might be unnecessary. It certainly doesn't seem to hurt anything though.

edit: Also, does citric acid really neutralize battery acid? That doesn't really make sense to me, but my Chemistry is pretty poor to be honest. I would've thought Baking Soda would do the job instead.

Last edited:
Iirc Battery 'Acid' is actually an Alkali, the lemon juice is mildly acidic.
Once you put the lemon juice on where the battery has leaked, it will froth a little, neutralizing the acid.
Used this on my 500's that had leaky batterys (500+ and a 4mb ram card with a battery)

Back
Top Bottom