A1200 ROM Switcher/extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why bother? Easy... because you can!

Why else are we bother to do anything with our old Amigas? Adding faster CPUs, a lot more ram, networking them.. etc. It's not to keep they up to date, that is for sure. Instead, it's a fixation by the whole community to see just how far and how much we can do with the Amiga hardware, 25 years later!
    Coming soon - ..
    =====================================
    C= Amiga: A4000T/PPC/060, | A1200 x2 | A600 x2 | A500 & Plus x6 | CD32
    Atari:
    520 STFM | 4160 STE | 2600 Woody || Nintendo: Wii | GCN | N64 + Everdrive | SNES + Everdrive | SNES Mini | GB | GBA | DS-XL
    Sega
    : Dreamcast | Megadrive + Everdrive || Microsoft: Xbox x2 | Xbox 360 Slim 250GB || Sony: PSX | PS2 | PS2slim | PS3 slim | PSP x2 | Vita

PC:
    i7 4GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX 970, SSD | + many other PCs and Laptops ||Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 ||
    Phone: Samsung S20 5G
    Retro Handhelds: Retroid Pocket 2 | Anbernic RG351P

Comment

I use my A1200 too much, and not only to play (to play only one expanded A500 is enough)

Of course, I dont' try to make a competition with the PC's or new systems (that's impossible). But....

I have a good A1200 now and I want to go to the limits of the system....

PCI boards, USB, DVI Video, Big HDD's...... with one CPU at 50Mhz and 192 MB RAM it's not bad, right?

And It's possible to expand more... why not?......

Click image for larger version

Name:	MyWB_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1423220
      I don't know how it will be the third World War. But I do know how it will be the fourth: With sticks and stones.
      Here lies a brave, a formidable adversary and a true man of honor. Rest in peace. 04/21/1918

Comment

Originally posted by merlinkv View Post

But other thing is about A1200 upgrade making a way to install boards.

Mi case, but sure also of many A1200 users with tower projects.....

- Indivision AGA or DCE
        - Mediator 1200
        - Fast-ATA boards

NO way to install together because the design of Indivision/DCE and the Fast-ATA boards....

One ROM's extender open the possibility to install the Fast-ATA boards out from the mobo and Mediator (maybe 15 or 20 cms) ..... Problem of upgrade solved. I'm sure many users want a solution like this for A1200 tower projects.

I don't know..... it's only an idea.....
        This extender/ switcher is a great idea and I would be interested in this hardware as neat solution to getting all the boards mentioned above to fit.

Amigakit have managed to fit all the boards shown above, however I'm uncertain if both IDE ports on the Fast-ATA could be used.

Comment

With actual design and two ROM risers the only possibility is to use the 44 IDE port of Fast-ATA boards

Not me, of course, but lot of people have high skills making cables, PCB´s........ Why not for A1200?.... I don´t know.

If anyone make one switcher/extender like this... Sure I take three of them (depending of price, of course).

Please, make it.......
          I don't know how it will be the third World War. But I do know how it will be the fourth: With sticks and stones.
          Here lies a brave, a formidable adversary and a true man of honor. Rest in peace. 04/21/1918

Comment

First, it's great to see a thread started by Amibay users in my section of Amibay This kind of thing lets me know what people need/want in the Amiga community. Whether I am able to make such devices is another matter, depending on complexity amongst other things.

Unfortunately, AFAIK there is virtually no need for a ROM switcher for the A1200. Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the AGA chipset a major problem with old games - i.e., not just a KS version issue? As many people do and will point out, WHDLoad is the shizznit for playing those classic games. Personally I prefer to play the classic games on an A500 or A600 with a KS 1.3 (or 1.2 if necessary). As others have also pointed out, there is also the issue of massively expanded A1200s with their guts too full to accommodate a ROM switcher as well, with four sockets!

I will be bringing out a ROM switcher for the 16-Bit Amigas however, which will have four ROM sockets, so the user may select from one of four KS versions.

Sorry to disappoint my friend If I did bring out a ROM switcher for the A1200, I would probably only sell about five units I imagine

Comment

@AmigaManiac

Ok. Thanks to answer.

But the idea is not only a "switcher"... Thes best are a extender to make possible the installation of different expansion boards together.

Thanks again in anyway.

Comment

Actually...I've been thinking to incorporate an element into my next ROM switcher that allows it to be used on a 32-bit Amiga such as the A1200...just for the hell of it Since it will have four ROM sockets, it will be easy to do with a couple of jumpers I think. I'll see if I can split a KS 1.3 image over two EPROMs...

Nathan

Comment