Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fully assembled XT-IDE CF adapter! Taking orders!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment received from ia2115, will post the card tomorrow.

PM'ed kylix.

Comment

Payment received from Half-Saint and card sent today!

Comment

Hi Carlostex - I am declaring interest for an XT-IDE card

Comment

Originally posted by MMaximus View Post
          Hi Carlostex - I am declaring interest for an XT-IDE card
          Sending PM.

Comment

I recieved mine, its super cool thanks for a fantastic product

Comment

Originally posted by ia2115 View Post
              I recieved mine, its super cool thanks for a fantastic product
              Cheers! Enjoy it mate!

- - - Updated - - -

In the meantime:

payment received by NMaximus and card sent!

Still 7 XT-IDE CF cards available for sale!

Comment

Odd situation...maybe your card with FDD BIOS could solve?

I have an IBM PC/XT 5160. I have an XT-IDE card, which is also enabled for Slot 8 use, driving a pair of CF drives. I also added a separate high density floppy adapter (an FTG-FA-100 high density floppy-drive controller that supports a half-height 3.5” 1.44MB bootable floppy drive and a high density 1.2MB and 5.25" floppy drive) with its own BIOS, but had to move the starting address of the XT-IDE BIOS up to not conflict with the loading of the floppy BIOS. I literally had to pull the XT-IDE controller BIOS chip out of its socket, find and bend a particular pin #12, wire it to pin #3 and re-seat the XT-IDE BIOS chip to shift the BIOS address from C000 to D000 given that the FDD BIOS need to occupy C000 in memory. Trying to reprogram the XT-IDE EPROM to stuff the FDD BIOS into it didn't pan out for me. I wanted to drive both a 1.44M A: drive and a 1.2M 5.25" B: floppy, but the 1.2M drive, while it works, also causes the CF cards to become corrupted on boot up (no one can determine the cause so far). So I've unplugged the 1.2M drive and just run with the 1.44M floppy off of the and the pair of CF drives. I also tried using some Mini/Micro high density FDD adapters without luck.

What I am wondering is if I can get both the 1.44M and 1.2M drives working and the pair of CF drives all in harmony if you build an XT-IDE card for me with that drive config loaded into the XT-IDE BIOS. Would I remove the FTG-FA-100 high density floppy-drive controller and drive the floppies off of the XT-IDE?

Regards,
                Mike

Comment

Hi Mike.

Which XT-IDE card are you using? VCF project? Dangerous Prototypes? If your card is a Lo-Tech one, like the ones i'm selling, you have a jumper to change the BIOS addresses between C800h and D800h. I'm sure you didn't really mean C000h since this is the address where VGA BIOS starts.
                  From what you describe you don't seem to have a lo-tech card, and a lo tech one could be the best option for you. If you want a Lo-Tech card i can sell one to you.

Some clarifications about what i offer:

1 - When i sell my cards with the optional High Density Floppy BIOS extensions i arrange the file so that floppy BIOS starts first at address C800h and XT-IDE BIOS starts at CA00h. Removing the jumper will put the BIOSes respectively at D800h and DA00h.

2 - If i sell the card without HD Floppy BIOS the XT-IDE BIOS will be obviously located at C800h.

As i see it your problem is this: Both the cards are fighting to place its respective BIOS at C800h. Your Floppy controller should have jumpers so that you could change its address to something other than C800h. So you have some options if you get one of the cards i'm selling:

1- I'll sell you a card with HD Floppy BIOS extensions (which will use C800h for the floppy BIOS and CA00h for the XT-IDE BIOS) and you can use a 16-bit ISA multi I/O controller for the floppy drives;

2- I'll sell you a card as above and you remove the BIOS ROM from your existing floppy controller (if your floppy controller is indeed at C800h it may work but not guranteed); I CANNOT GUARANTEE THIS OPTION WORKS

3- I'll sell you a card with only the XT-IDE BIOS included (XT-IDE BIOS at C800h) and you can use the jumper to put it at D800h so it does not conflict with the Floppy controller BIOS;

Either way, you can always reflash the EEPROM if something doesn't work and i can provide you the files or you want to try something different. I really like the XT-IDE CF cards from lo tech as they are compact and work great including a good set of features.

If you want to buy a card send me a PM and we can go from there.

Regards,

Carlos

Last edited by CarlosTex; 12 May 2016, 22:32.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosTex View Post
                    Hi Mike.

Which XT-IDE card are you using? VCF project? Dangerous Prototypes? If your card is a Lo-Tech one, like the ones i'm selling, you have a jumper to change the BIOS addresses between C800h and D800h. I'm sure you didn't really mean C000h since this is the address where VGA BIOS starts.
                    From what you describe you don't seem to have a lo-tech card, and a lo tech one could be the best option for you. If you want a Lo-Tech card i can sell one to you.

Some clarifications about what i offer:

1 - When i sell my cards with the optional High Density Floppy BIOS extensions i arrange the file so that floppy BIOS starts first at address C800h and XT-IDE BIOS starts at CA00h. Removing the jumper will put the BIOSes respectively at D800h and DA00h.

2 - If i sell the card without HD Floppy BIOS the XT-IDE BIOS will be obviously located at C800h.

As i see it your problem is this: Both the cards are fighting to place its respective BIOS at C800h. Your Floppy controller should have jumpers so that you could change its address to something other than C800h. So you have some options if you get one of the cards i'm selling:

1- I'll sell you a card with HD Floppy BIOS extensions (which will use C800h for the floppy BIOS and CA00h for the XT-IDE BIOS) and you can use a 16-bit ISA multi I/O controller for the floppy drives;

2- I'll sell you a card as above and you remove the BIOS ROM from your existing floppy controller (if your floppy controller is indeed at C800h it may work but not guranteed); I CANNOT GUARANTEE THIS OPTION WORKS

3- I'll sell you a card with only the XT-IDE BIOS included (XT-IDE BIOS at C800h) and you can use the jumper to put it at D800h so it does not conflict with the Floppy controller BIOS;

Either way, you can always reflash the EEPROM if something doesn't work and i can provide you the files or you want to try something different. I really like the XT-IDE CF cards from lo tech as they are compact and work great including a good set of features.

If you want to buy a card send me a PM and we can go from there.

Regards,

Carlos

OK, I'll PM.

Comment

Payment received from nc_mike and card sent today!

Comment

I just realised that I haven't dropped a message here about receiving the card.

Card received, thanks Carlos
                        My main rig is a 386DX-40

Comment

Originally posted by Half-Saint View Post
                          I just realised that I haven't dropped a message here about receiving the card.

Card received, thanks Carlos
                          Thanks and enjoy!!

First post updated, BTW, only 6 cards for sale now.

Comment

Card received today after being held by customs fo some reason... Anyway it works great, makes my XT so much easier to use, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MMaximus View Post
                              Card received today after being held by customs fo some reason... Anyway it works great, makes my XT so much easier to use, thanks
                              Yeah i was wondering why it was taking so long. French customs must be checking everything in the recent light of terrorism.

Enjoy your card!

Comment

Hi Carlos,

The adapter arrived. I am getting a C8000 error on boot up.

Before I replaced my existing XT-IDE, I pulled the VTG FA-100 floppy adapter as well as an 8 bit multi-function adapter (which didn't have a floppy drive interface. I set up all of the jumpers on the new 16-bit multifunction adapter and installed it, reconnected my parallel, mouse, and both the 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives. The machine booted up fine at that point. It read both drives, allowed me to format the A: drive (as a 720K of course since the multi-function adapter has no FD BIOS). My old XT-IDE card and primary and secondary CF drives were recognized and the system booted fine off of the primary CF. My next step was to replace the old XT-IDE card with yours. I restarted the machine, 640K memory counted up fine, issued the video driver message fine, immediately followed by the C8000 with a message to hit F1 to continue, which I did, and then the system just hangs there. Thoughts?

Regards,
                                Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I'd try re-seating the new XT-IDE adapter and the C8000 went away and the system booted off of the CF card. The only problem now is that that I get a 2h! when trying to boot off a 1.44MB floppy. I get a 2h! error. I can boot off of a 720K 3.5" floppy. I tried formatting a new 3.5" 1.44" disk and the format (and sys transfer) completed successfully, but when I tried to boot off of that newly formatted 1.44M floppy I get the 2h! error. If I boot off of the CF (C drive and try to do a DIR A: of the 1.44M floppy, I get a "General failure reading drive A: message, however I can read a 720K floppy just fine. Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I can format read and write to the B: 1.2M 5.25" drive just fine - the trouble is booting/writing/reading a 1.44M 3.5" floppy.

Comment