Sold Commodore 64 PSU replacement/upgrade board (rebuild kit)

anemo

Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Country
Sweden
Region
Stockholm
PowerUP! 64W v1.2 – Commodore 64 PSU replacement/upgrade board (rebuild kit)

A new version is available
here

TL;DR: Don't just save your C64. Also save your PSU! Rebuild your original C64 PSU (power supply unit) with modern and reliable technology instead of buying a "saver" or new PSU.

User manual: http://docs.anemo.se/powerup-64w-manual.pdf (right-click to save)

Availability: 0 board(s)

c64-psu-board-powerup-64w-v1-2--1.jpg

c64-psu-wedge.jpg
c64-psu-board-powerup-64w--2-tape.jpg

c64-psu-board-powerup-64w-v1-2--3.jpg

The stock C64 PSU is infamous for damaging/destroying your computer when the PSU fails. The PSU consists of mainly two parts;
1) the iron core transformer which outputs 9V AC
2) the linear regulator board which transforms 9V AC to 5V DC

The second part is the weak link and can cause a too high output voltage. The original construction is ineffective, unreliable and produces quite a lot of heat (nice for warming you feet though). Keep the good part and replace the bad one!

These assembled and tested boards are a modern replacement/upgrade with switched and filtered voltage regulation (9V AC to 5V DC) instead of linear regulation. The need for a so called "saver" is minimized/eliminated and you can keep on using your original Commodore PSU. The board fits the beige wedge shaped PSU variant; Part No. 902503-06, Part No. 902503-11 and eventually more. Works with 110/230V and 50/60 Hz transformers.

Output voltage: 4.95-5.05V* (@1A)
Output current: 2A MAX
Efficiency: ~90% (original board: <50%)
Size: 50x70x22mm (WxDxH)
Built with high quality parts from Nichicon, Aimtec, Samsung and more
Overcurrent protection
Overheating protection
Short circuit protection

1x 220 ohm resistor included for power LED option

*There is a ~0.05V voltage drop at 1A current draw across the output filter. The filter can be bypassed by closing the solder bridge.

Changelog:

v1.2:

* 2x 3300uF smoothing capacitors (v1.0: single 4700uF)
* Filter/choke coil with only 0.05v voltage drop@1A (v1.0: 0.1v@1A)
* Power LED option – place for resistor and cables/header on board (v1.0: N/A)
* Filter bypass solder bridge (v1.0 N/A)

The installation requires:
1) Opening the PSU (more or less force is needed as parts are glued together)
2) Removing the original PCB and installing the the new PCB (soldering)

ALWAYS measure and verify correct output voltage and polarity BEFORE connecting the upgraded PSU to your C64.

Price:
€28 each including UNTRACKED international shipping

€35 each including TRACKED international shipping

Payment as gift to PayPal

The PSU boards are also sold elsewhere.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I am mildly interested, however I feel there need to be holes in the PCB for the ac9V in and dc5V out (mechanical protection).

Update.

The 1st pic shows holes in the boards, and the others have pad connections. I think we need clarity on what is for sale. Also I think you need to extend the 5V wires too (looking at the highres images)

Last edited:
I am mildly interested, however I feel there need to be holes in the PCB for the ac9V in and dc5V out (mechanical protection).

Update.

The 1st pic shows holes in the boards, and the others have pad connections. I think we need clarity on what is for sale. Also I think you need to extend the 5V wires too (looking at the highres images)

Thanks for your feedback! Yes, there are hole for the cables/wires in ALL boards (as seen in first and last picture) but in my case they were a little too short and I chosed to solder the wires directly to the pads (with holes) on the board.

Concering the clarity of whats on sale I'm not sure what you mean. The description states that it is the board for the 9V AC to 5V DC regulation. The requirements for replacing it successfully is also mentioned:

"The installation requires:
1) Opening the PSU (more or less force is needed as parts are glued together)
2) Removing the original PCB and installing the the new PCB (soldering)

ALWAYS measure and verify correct output voltage and polarity BEFORE connecting the upgraded PSU to your C64."

Last edited:
Since there was some confusion from mrr19121970 and no reply to my previous answer I post this picture to clarify the construction of the board:

psu-board-pad-holes.jpg

The cables/wires can be a) soldered through the holes OR b) soldered directly to the pads.

Availability: 3 boards left

Last edited:
Item arrived, many thanks. Yet to test.

Idea for REV2 - 2 pin header for LED on a wire (+ SMD resistor)

Hi,

Interested in the possible second batch, no hurry :) LED always +1

Hi there, thank you for your interest!

New boards (with the LED option) will be available in a couple of weeks or so. I'll post here when available.

I am declaring interest. Are they easy to fit? I can solder, but generally it is following instructions.

Interest Queue

Interest Queue

Back
Top Bottom