AA3000+ Amiga 3000 AGA motherboard

And yet another build question: Are all electrolytics for decoupling/audio, so the board could start DiagROM w/o them?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it boots without the electrolytics. A serial and/or rgb out would be handy, but the flickerfixer parts don't need to be installed.

And yet another build question: Are all electrolytics for decoupling/audio, so the board could start DiagROM w/o them?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it boots without the electrolytics. A serial and/or rgb out would be handy, but the flickerfixer parts don't need to be installed.
Thanks, that confirms my guess. I'll take the serial path first because it should show if the board comes to life, even w/o Chipmem. ;-)

Btw. are you tristanz at a1k.org?

Last edited:
I've got a question for the pros:

I plan on using a LIR2032 rechargeable LiIon battery for the clock circuit.

The spec sheet says that charging optimally would be like this: Charge voltage of 4.2 V @12mA until the battery itself reaches 4.2 V. Afterwards continued sustain charge at 4.2V, 3 mA.

The values are very similar to what a NiCD battery would need, besides the lower charging current.

To my understanding, the two resistors R192 and R190 control the current/voltage parameters of the charging circuit.

I'm lost however in calculating the values to approximate the above behavior, taking into consideration the current necessary for the clock circuit itself.

Can one of the electronics gurus here send me on the right track.

Thanks in advance!

Apologies for being massively ignorant given my knowledge of microelectronics is nonexistent. But this board absolutely FASCINATES me, and I'd love one - but the consumer in me wonders if its at all possible to develop a board similar to this, but with an ATX form factor so it can sit in a standard case and use standard ATX power supplies?

Understand the X5000 is KIND OF that machine, but that's a commercial product (borderline vapourware) I'm talking something more in line of this exact thing, community driven, but doesn't require using or sourcing old cases and parts to house them. (Better yet if it also had USB inputs to use modern keyboards/mice!)

Hi there,
I have two questions,
Can I connect Cybervision PPC ribbon cable to the first external video port ?
What is the second disk drive connector (CN700) for ?

Hi there,
I have two questions,
Can I connect Cybervision PPC ribbon cable to the first external video port ?
What is the second disk drive connector (CN700) for ?

Video port - almost certainly not. The AA3000 uses it's own pinout. Maybe with a custom cable?

CN700 is the DSP I/O connector, for which currently no hardware exists. It's possible to for example design an 16 bit audio DAC board or stuff like that :)

Is it possible to use the Romy V11 4MB JED for U183? The 1MB JED file that comes with the AA seems to be the same as the Romy V11 1MB...

And another question: What are the SCL and SDA lines on CN402 for? Is there something I2C related in this area of the board?

- monitor switch between the video inputs, similar to Ratte monitor switch (controllable by software or external switch)

Just to douoble check, since I can finally build my aa3000+, the pcb is here, this means exact same pinout as ratte switch, correct? So i can reuse my dsub vga to ratte switch cable for the voodoo.
Or is it easy to find a voodo internal connector to monitor switch cable?

Just to douoble check, since I can finally build my aa3000+, the pcb is here, this means exact same pinout as ratte switch, correct? So i can reuse my dsub vga to ratte switch cable for the voodoo.
Or is it easy to find a voodo internal connector to monitor switch cable?

No, it's not the same pinout, unfortunately. Look at the documents hese provided and you will see why.

Hi folks,

Just reporting that I've created a tool chain for programming the DSP3210 on the AA3000+ motherboard:

Asm3210 v2.2 is out on Aminet and has a few bug fixes from earlier versions. It's a DSP3210 assembler plus a program to create an executable from the final object file (elf2exem68k).

Also out on Aminet as of this morning is gcc 3.2 for DSP3210.

I've spent a long time getting this working and now you can program in C, compile with gcc, assemble with asm3210, link to M68k source and construct an executable using elf2exem68k, all on a modern computer.

Why only gcc 3? I have tried gcc 4 and 6 but I get internal compiler errors when compiling which is related to register usage tracking deep within gcc. If anyone actually does anything interesting with gcc3 for the DSP, that would motivate me to look at this again. For now gcc 3 is as far as it goes.

How optimised is it? Fairly... but a compiler will never produce code as good as a human. Again, if I get motivated, I may looking at improving the optimisation.

I'm finally building up my AA3000+. It seems the Daughter Board connector & Cyberstorm are very close. The result is the original daughter board insulation sheet does not fit between and does not reach the bottom PCB. I don't want to cut this original sheet.

How to search (what keywords to use) / where to buy (EU) such insulation sheet which I can cut to size?

Thanks!

I just used a sheet of cardboard (maybe 1-1.5m thick) and cut it to fit.

Still struggling on getting a Super DMAC, I have a NOS A3000/A4000 Querty keyboard, is anyone interested in some sort of trade? I may also have a Italian version layout.

Folks, can anyone recommend what programmer I need to get for the GALs etc for this board?

I have a TL866II currently and I hear that it is perhaps not the best for the job?

Many thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom