Closed C16 64k S-RAM internal expansion (no motherboard modify!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCes

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Country
Italy
Region
Rome
It will expand the memory of your C16 to 64K as a PLUS/4... and an option for replacing ROMset to enable
"3+1" FUNCTION software saving supply current (lowering internal temperature...)

It's very simple to instal:
open your C16, pull out the TED chip, place the "64KxC16" on the TED socket (*), plug the TED on "64KxC16", close your C16...

Not cutting traces, not desoldering anything!
(All the 64k RAM expansion cartridges require that some motherboard traces has to be cutted for removing the old ram bank and avoiding a bus conflict, and it imply that C16 can't work without plugging the ram cartridge)

There is a switch for chosing 16K or 64K system, and a 2 pin plug for the remoting of the switch.

Power absorbed by this expansion is equivalent to the energy saved by stopping the access at the original memory bank, it's possible only because it was chosen a Static RAM that use much less power of a Dynamic RAM (original one is D-RAM): not more power, not more dissipation, not more heat...

NOTE: it will be mechanically not compatible whith C16 rare models that use a metal schield inside for covering the motherboard, the standard shield type is a metallized paper, and this is mechanically compatible

An independent test: https://youtu.be/XoylA3OWLLI

5pieces available (also sold elsewhere)
1xRam expansion: 25€ +shipment +PPfees
Multiple buy of this expansion: the first one 25€, from the second 20€/pc
Ram expansion + full romset option: 30€ +shipment +PPfees (declare NTSC or PAL system)
number0.jpgfront1.jpgrear.jpgplus4 demo.jpg

(*)The components under the new board have to not touch it, so them has to be gently bended about 45°.

The ROMset option:

FullRomset3.JPGFullRomset1.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. I've just been looking at your posts around CPU replacement. My C16 already has the 6510 replacement as detailed here:

http://hackjunk.com/2017/06/23/commodore-16-plus-4-8501-to-6510-cpu-conversion/

Judging by the pictures they will both mechanically fit together though I may need to use a socket / strip of pin header to increase the height of one board or another.

I know the other board is not your work but would you have any reason to suspect an issue between the CPU replacement and your RAM replacement / expansion? (I am not asking for a guarantee, just an opinion on risk).

Edit: also sent via PM

- - - Updated - - -

Payment sent - happy to assume risk on compatibility.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've just been looking at your posts around CPU replacement. My C16 already has the 6510 replacement as detailed here:

http://hackjunk.com/2017/06/23/commodore-16-plus-4-8501-to-6510-cpu-conversion/

Judging by the pictures they will both mechanically fit together though I may need to use a socket / strip of pin header to increase the height of one board or another.

I know the other board is not your work but would you have any reason to suspect an issue between the CPU replacement and your RAM replacement / expansion? (I am not asking for a guarantee, just an opinion on risk).

I know that solution,
6510 as 8501 has a lot of problem, one is the instability of R/W that Commodore engineers resolved with "MUX" signal on "GATE" in (that 6510 hasn't), it's important for the dynamic ram but irrilevant for my SRAM expansion:
I immagine that you will having less problem with my SRAM than with original RAM!

During the next 2 weeks could be occur delays because I will be on holiday and some of this days I'll be "out of order".
I apologize in advance

Received with thanks - it's a tight fit but I did not need the socket riser. The 6510 converter board I had wasn't cut 100% straight but it's not touching at any point (I can fit a whole cigarette paper between them).

DSC01227.jpg

Working:

DSC01230.jpg

(Anyone working on a lumafix for TED? I have serious stripes on blocks of solid colour!)

...I need to download some demanding 64K software now!

Note for anyone else - check nothing is contacting the bottom of the pins, I had to bend a few resistors over a few degrees to make sure they aren't touching (photo before fitting so you can see which ones the board overhangs... and ignore me, I just noticed MCes has already said the same!):

DSC01226.jpg

Positive feedback left

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom