What do I need to towerize my a1200

Warp3d from the mediator cd works fine, that’s the one you want. If you’ve tried installing other versions then make sure you remove all elements of them first before trying again otherwise you’ll run into problems.

Indeed the other versions are for cards like the Cybervision and GREX

Used the one on CD and picked the uninstall older version first.
It made a difference in that when I ran the warp demo it didnt throw an error, it just black screen then reboot.

Used the one on CD and picked the uninstall older version first.
It made a difference in that when I ran the warp demo it didnt throw an error, it just black screen then reboot.

Remember you must run the mediator config *after* you have installed Warp3D to set the Envarc Variables.

Yeah I did that, however have hit a bit of an issue again.
Thebide fix express came loose from the ide socket as the cd wasn't being connected and so removed a few bits to get to it, put it all back together, followed by a slight burning smell [emoji24] and she no longer boots.
Anyway....after sobbing in a corner I was about to start the process of disassembling everything and rebuilding, when I tried a different cf card and almost booted.
So, I removed the idefix express, wrote back a recent image of my cf card onto a different cf card and then she seems to boot as normal.
Not quite sure what is going on but wont have time to do much for a few days now.

Hmmm. If I remove the ide fix express everything works. However if I attach anything to the ide port, even just a cf adapter, it wont boot. Perhaps i have fried something on the motherboard after all.[emoji24]
I still need to get the ide header fixed on my other motherboard and then will swap that in and examine this one more closely.
Oh well. In the mean time am trying to install birdie but cant stop it playing this little video clip on startup?

Well it's been a bit quiet for a while. I have paused my hardware adventures while I await my first motherboards return from having the ide port repaired.
I have not been able to get warp3d working yet, but have focussed on other software tweaks like icons and prefs etc. Dabbled with birdie but actually have removed it now.
Am trying to setup amitradecentre to connect to a shared folder on my desktop pc, I used to have a similar setup but am struggling a little currently.
Am also tidying up my startup sequence etc.
Will do screenshots in due course....

Well, time for another update.
My motherboard with the damaged pin has been fixed by AmigaPassion and is now back in the tower. I also replaced the keyboard interface that came with the tower with a pckey from amigakit as I just didn't get on so well with the original one. I also added a 4xEIDE buffered interface as I just wanted to connect the CD drive properly as I boot through SCSI.

I took out my secondary motherboard to investigate what happened with the IDE, although that now seems to work ! (I could not get it to boot from IDE when it was in the tower - gotta love the quirks of this hobby) That is now naked on the desk with the other keyboard adapter connected, my ACA1221, the IndyMK2, and my DIE-FIX express. the floppy drive seems dead though - I seemed to remember one of them was - but I have an external drive.

I am currently debating two main issues.
1. Warp3D - I cannot get this to work (although I did read somewhere that it doesn't like exec 44.1 which my rom does use, so I will try and fix that) and so would I be better replacing the Voodoo with a cooler running radeon?

2. I am still tempted to fit the indy mk2 under the mediator and go for a ratte switch to have just the one output. I would need to rig some additional cooling I know. I could leave it in the other a1200 but it doesn't really need it as its only a spare for games potentially in the summerhouse.

Any thoughts?

Hey glad you got the IDE issues sorted. Warp3d is better with PPC so really you're not missing much without it on 68k, Doom for example still doesn't run Amazing with Hardware Rendering, it just looks nicer.

Keep the Voodoo in a box and try out a Radeon, see how you get on. With more VRAM you'll be able to enjoy a higher resolution 24bit Workbench.

Don't bother with the Indivision, it's really too tight in there, maybe find a screen that does 15khz over VGA? My JVC TV does and I used to run my native modes straight through it.

Cheers steve. I think as I have an original mediator I need a radeon that can work with 5v specifically or that has been modified? I dont know much about that stuff.

How do I test if the tv/monitor can take 15khz over vga? Do i just get an rgb to vga cable and try? [emoji16]
If I have one that does, do I then put that and the gfx cards output through a ratte switch to make or is there a better way?

Cheers

Cheers steve. I think as I have an original mediator I need a radeon that can work with 5v specifically or that has been modified? I dont know much about that stuff.

How do I test if the tv/monitor can take 15khz over vga? Do i just get an rgb to vga cable and try? [emoji16]
If I have one that does, do I then put that and the gfx cards output through a ratte switch to make or is there a better way?

Cheers

I think you need a 5v or dual voltage radeon, just check with the seller on here as I assume where you'll buy.

Most modern TVs and monitors won't do 15khz they're all expecting 31khz however there are some documented screens that do, search here,EAB, etc. I'll give you the model number of my TV.

As you say you can use it with the ratte switch, RGB to VGA or like I used to just a VGA switch box.

Maybe an external scan doubler could be an option?

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers

I think you need a 5v or dual voltage radeon, just check with the seller on here as I assume where you'll buy.

Most modern TVs and monitors won't do 15khz they're all expecting 31khz however there are some documented screens that do, search here,EAB, etc. I'll give you the model number of my TV.

As you say you can use it with the ratte switch, RGB to VGA or like I used to just a VGA switch box.

Maybe an external scan doubler could be an option?

Have a look for benq bl702 or bl912. They often come up really cheap on ebay. I bought a 702 for about £10. It worked well until I put a piece of metal through the screen.

Well, I hope to have some progress in a few days. I saw a monitor on ebay that someone had had good luck with on the 15khz front, and picked it up. Once my cable arrives I shall test it and see!

I started re assembling my other a1200 and am basing it on 3.1.4, but put it all together, powered it up and after half a second of the power light being on the entire lot died. Oh the Joy's of this hobby.

Having said that, stripped it right back to the motherboard and then re did it step by step checking it powers up at each stage and now I am back in business!

Nice one glad the issue is sorted. Check you've not got a short somewhere. Look forward to the next update. I just bought a 1260 so will having my own fun again soon lol.

So what setup are you going for Steve?

I did wonder [emoji16]

Am really hoping the new 27 inch monitor can take the 15khz signal, as it looks really good running off the voodoo and also off the Indy mk2 in my other a1200.
Just waiting on my cable to come....

I will confirm after I have tested it so as to draw out the excitement [emoji23]
Otherwise someone will pop up and tell me it wont work, a bit like when you are settling down to watch the football game you recorded and someone tells you your team lost !
Even if it should work sometimes the model variants seem to make a difference so I wont know for sure till I try it.

Back
Top Bottom