axel81

Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Country
Italia
Region
Monza Brianza
" POWER SAVER HQ for AMIGA!"

....never seen before :). Developed in order to protect all the Commodore AMIGA power supplies according to the list:

• AMIGA 500
  • AMIGA 500+
  • AMIGA 600
  • AMIGA 1200

The protection is complete for:

• +5 VDC
  • +12VDC
  • -12VDC

It is completely made of semiconductors with very fast intervention times 20us (microseconds!), no relay on board that would require long intervention times 200ms (milliseconds!).

What does it means this time value?
It means 10.000 time fasters then relay-based protections . This is the only way we can safely safeguard our Commodore vintage computer

This electronic circuit allows to keep under control the voltages supplied by the AMIGA power supply by detecting anomalies on the correct value.

The most critical power supplies of the Amiga are the + 5Vdc and the + 12V which are used for all the ICs present on the motherboard.
Instead the -12VDC power supply is used only to power the IC LF347 which manages the audio section and is the least critical.
In the case of voltage values out of range the POWER SAVER HQ intervenes promptly with times equal to 20 / 40uS thanks to the use of semiconductors instead of relays

POWER SAVER HQ is equipped with four LEDs in order to control its functionality:

GREEN LED
1) ON: your AMIGA is working and it has +5VDC under safety threshold
2) OFF: there's a problem!

ACTION TO TAKE
2a) Protection has occurred ... and your Commodore AMIGA is SAFE!Open the Power saver and change the fuse (T2.5A). Before turn it on check /repair your power supply.
2b) There isn't +5VDC output from the "Power saver HQ " . Check the presence of 5VDC at the input of "Power saver" and/or check if your original power supply is connected and if it works

WHITE/BLUE LED
1) ON: your AMIGA is working and it has +12VDC under safety threshold
2) OFF: there's a problem!

ACTION TO TAKE
2a) Protection has occurred ... and your Commodore AMIGA is SAFE!Open the Power saver and change the fuse (T630mA / 800mA). Before turn it on check /repair your power supply.
2b) There isn't +12VDC output from the "Power saver HQ " .Check the presence of +12VDC at the input of "Power saver" and/or check if your original power supply is connected and if it works

RED LED
1) OFF : All ok. Your Commodore AMIGA is working properly. It means that all voltages are under the safety threshold according to power supply specification.
2) ON: There's a problem! It means that at least one of the three voltages is beyond the threshold and the power supply must be checked.

YELLOW LED
1) ON: All ok. It means that +12VDC and -12VDC from is coming out from your AMIGA power supply
2) OFF: There's a problem!It means that one or both are missing (+12VDC & -12VDC) from your AMIGA power supply

CONNECTOR TYPE:

INPUT --> DIN 8PIN female modified in order to fit with original DIN 5PIN male square
OUTPUT --> DIN 5 PIN male square ORIGINAL COMMODORE

PRICE (with Paypal friend,shipping not included)

43€ OLD PRICE
49€

++ To date 66pcs* OVP have been sold worlwide with 100% positive feedback ++
*From Amibay forum 9pcs sold. Thanks ?*

20210411_180306.jpg20210411_180320.jpg20210411_180356.jpg20220330_184310.jpginnesto femmina-maschio quadrato.jpg

Last edited:
I'm all for new hardware projects! Congrats for bringing out something new.

Some questions to try and help purchasers:
- Amiga PSUs don't seem to provide overvoltage if they're failing, unlike the 64's PSU - what scenario is this protecting against?
- what is "out of tolerance"?
- how does this work? If it's blowing fuses I assume your circuitry detects over voltage and then dumps the input through a dummy load and fuse - what's the loading put on the PSU in such instance?
- what guarantee do you provide for hardware that's being protected?

Given that it's new I'd like more details on how this is designed, and how it has been tested. I also like to see this being fed by a bench PSU with the voltage being ramped, and it actually intervening to save the Amiga, and with instant power on protection from a supply that's way over voltage, again from a bench PSU, and the amiga being fine.

I'm not trying to interfere with your sales here, I'm trying to understand more about it - I'm intrigued!

I'm all for new hardware projects! Congrats for bringing out something new.

Some questions to try and help purchasers:
- Amiga PSUs don't seem to provide overvoltage if they're failing, unlike the 64's PSU - what scenario is this protecting against?

** Not all power supplies built at the time for Amiga have the same type of operation from linear to switching for which the output voltage (..5v ..12v ... -12v ..) could undergo variations both in positive (i.e. raising the output voltage
or absence of these voltages and in the latter case problems do not arise !!) but in case of breakage of the final chip / transistor a possible overvoltage, especially of the 5v of the digital part, would damage the fundamental chips !!! So better prevent ... than cry....given the cost of the chips and their difficult availability due to the years since their construction and their obsolescence.

- what is "out of tolerance"?

**since for the digital part the fundamental thing is to keep the 5v voltage within the maximum threshold of 6 / 6.2v the system it checks its value and when it exceeds the threshold of 5.7 / 5.9 v it intervenes causing this voltage to cut off in order to protecting the chips.

The intervention of the protection is very fast..30-40 us because there are no relays but all built in solid state with appropriate
semiconductors.

- how does this work? If it's blowing fuses I assume your circuitry detects over voltage and then dumps the input through a dummy load and fuse - what's the loading put on the PSU in such instance?

** "dummy load" is made by a suitable semiconductor which intervenes quickly by removing the voltage and a suitable circuit signals its operation with the lighting of suitable LEDs.

- what guarantee do you provide for hardware that's being protected?

** the guarantee is given by the capacity of the device (designed in our laboratories) to remove the two main power supplies .. +5v and + 12v which are the only ones that can compromise the proper functioning of the Amiga. In this regard, I remember that if it were to be missing the -12v the amiga works regularly as a machine ... the only problem that the audio section would present sound distortion and nothing else.I remember that just knowing how to read the wiring diagrams to understand its operation and any critical issues. Of course we design the circuits, simulate the critical issues live on the bench ... arriving at their optimization and finally, if considered valid, to the possibility of users to take advantage of the project.

Given that it's new I'd like more details on how this is designed, and how it has been tested. I also like to see this being fed by a bench PSU with the voltage being ramped, and it actually intervening to save the Amiga, and with instant power on protection from a supply that's way over voltage, again from a bench PSU, and the amiga being fine.
I'm not trying to interfere with your sales here, I'm trying to understand more about it - I'm intrigued!

The circuit has been tested just like you say: with a laboratory power supply simulating a ramp and "reading" the values ​​of
protection intervention: I remind you and all the readers of the forum that the most critical part of any power supply is to "see"
what happens at the output when the power supply is switched on. During the initial transient phase, the output voltage does not necessarily mean that it is brought
at the nominal value for which it was designed but there may be changes depending on what the output "sees" ... for example if there are inductive loads made to remove spikes there can be rather dangerous voltage peaks ...
It is enough to know the matter ... and to intervene to make the circuit do what you want ... this is the right design of any electronic system.

Improving and making the reliability of any electronic machine is the fundamental element of my work ... and it will be there soon
a very useful tool very useful to all owners of Amiga 500/600 ... etc.etc. that will solve many doubts ... but leave me
do not uncover the cards too much ... but I will preview it ... because the project is coming soon.

Dear Chiark
thank you for your interest and curiosity

In blue my answers :)

Last edited:
Looks interesting and I LOVE all new development and something to protect form old power supplies is awesome!!
However, I would like to see some third party testing.

You should send one to Jens from Individual or maybe Jan Beta in the EU or maybe Ray Carlsen or Paul/Acill in the US.
I would like to see that this works on both EU and US power sources 220/110 as well as PAL/NTCS Amigas.
If you can get any one of them to say it is good then I might be more interested but as I don't know how to check volts and amps (except for a 9 volt battery to my tongue) I would need to have a third part sign off on it first.

Great work!
bg

Looks interesting and I LOVE all new development and something to protect form old power supplies is awesome!!

You should send one to Jens from Individual or maybe Jan Beta in the EU or maybe Ray Carlsen or Paul/Acill in the US.
I would like to see that this works on both EU and US power sources 220/110 as well as PAL/NTCS Amigas.
If you can get any one of them to say it is good then I might be more interested but as I don't know how to check volts and amps (except for a 9 volt battery to my tongue) I would need to have a third part sign off on it first.

Great work!
bg

Dear Sir
thank you for your interest and curiosity.

Already sold 2 unit in EU and 3 unit worlwide like USA by forum...ebay..ecc

It works with PAL/NTSC...there is not a difference..we are talking about OVP that is after the first chain.
For that reason ther is not any problem if you use it with PSU 110VAC or 220VAC

I know it might not be what you mean, but I would not recommend that you use something like this with modern power supplies like the one from IComp since it already has very good OVP features built-in. SMPS Amiga PSUs (the light ones) also have decent OVP protection so this would only make sense to use with the heavy transformer type PSUs which is the most likely to fail with over voltage (although still not as common as C64 PSUs).

Still available

@Demolition

It is useful also with a new switching power supply .

Still available :)

++ To date over 23pcs* OVP have been sold worlwide with 100% positive feedback ++

*From Amibay forum 4pcs sold. Thanks :smile:*

Paid on Saturday, oct 31st
Shipped Monday, nov 2nd.
Got it on Wednesday, nov 4th.

Very nice and professional item.
I'm testing it with a MeanWell 65-B PSU, but soon I'll make a miniATX PSU and use it there too.

Last edited:
Paid on Saturday, oct 31st
Shipped Monday, nov 2nd.
Got it on Wednesday, nov 4th.

Very nice and professional item.
I'm testing it with a MeanWell 65-B PSU, but soon I'll make a miniATX PSU and use it there too.

I'm very happy for you and for the fast transaction
:)

Back
Top Bottom