How towerize an Amiga 3000D motherboard!

vibros

Country
Italy
Region
Emilia-Romagna
Hello,

i was looking for years for a solution for my A3000D motherboard (to housing it!).
Months ago, i have found, near a trashcan, on a street, an ATX case with some IDE devices.
I have picked up all this good. The devices, as ever, i have played with it on my IDE card...and the Tower?
Now, if you are experienced about this matter, you know that, for an A3000D motherboard, there is no room on an ATX sized case! You will be frustrated, even if the motherboard can be put in some position, no room at all for cpu card and/or Zorro board.
A week ago, just because i need to move, and i wish absolutely to take with me my motherboard, i have resurected the tower. Obviously nothing has changed from when i have tested the usability of it, months ago.
Anyway i have found the solution...the solution is...made it higher (or taller, call it as you wish)!

Look!

DCP_9350.jpg

I have forgotten to picture it on the original state. Anyway it was smaller...
and now it looks in this way

DCP_9351.jpg DCP_9353.jpg DCP_9356.jpg

After some heavily modification, the motherboard and all the add-on (cpu card and Zorro boards) need to fit properly on this new modded tower

DCP_9355.jpg DCP_9357.jpg DCP_9359.jpg DCP_9361.jpg DCP_9362.jpg

...to be continued...

Last edited:
DCP_9364.jpg DCP_9369.jpg

The motherboard is settled down on six halters, three of them are screwed; the result is a very stable tower with the board strong fixed to the structure in metal and alu.

DCP_9370.jpg DCP_9371.jpg DCP_9383.jpg DCP_9372.jpg DCP_9375.jpg

...My first full length Zorro board...it is a fake, on rigid paper, just to test the position of the metal grid, to sustain the Zorro cards.

DCP_9376.jpg DCP_9381.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

if you wish to donate for this project, i am looking for an A3640 and a graphic card. In not working state, please; it means, not used by you and destinated to be throwed into a trash.

Thanks in advance!

That's some really nice work. Unfortunately a lot of the charm of the A3000 is the original case design. If I was going to tower something I would probably just do an A500. :)

... Unfortunately a lot of the charm of the A3000 is the original case design... :)

That's true! But my motherboard was without any desktop case...Anyway, new pictures!

The CompactFlash-halter

DCP_9384.jpg DCP_9385.jpg DCP_9387.jpg DCP_9393.jpg

And the plate-solution to complete the rear...Look!

DCP_9389.jpg DCP_9390.jpg

Now, the hard part is to come...where my skill play the big role: to complete the front, with a solution with style...and the painting of the metal panels on the sides. I wish to do something new...will see.

Ciao
Stefano

Hello,

the inner now look like this

DCP_9406.jpg DCP_9409.jpg

I have changed my mind and done a different visual effect for the metal plate of the rear

DCP_9397.jpg DCP_9398.jpg

You can do a comparison by yourself, against the rear of the A3000 Desktop case

https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/media/download_photos/a3000_3_big.jpg

...and the original A3000 Tower case

a3000t.jpg

Now, a bit of explanation about this project: it is more or less an improvisation; ideas come, i evaluate it and then, i try to realize it.
Sadly, i haven't access to a complete tool to manage metal plate, so my works look a bit raw; anyway i feel that the design is good...and this is the most important part!

Ciao
Stefano

Damn, that's actually pretty cool!
The original case looked like a bad fit.... but with a lot of work, i turning out nicely! :)

Hello,

ok, thanks for your interest on this thread!

New pictures of the inner part

DCP_9406.jpg DCP_9410.jpg

Now the rear looks like this

DCP_9414.jpg

Ciao
Stefano

Attachments

• DCP_9409.jpg
    DCP_9409.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 8
New pictures! Now the front is complete! Look!

DCP_9423.jpg DCP_9428.jpg DCP_9439.jpg DCP_9436.jpg

A look inside the Card halter (Zorro cards)

DCP_9426.JPG

Now painting work! I will use DPaint to sketch a solution for this tower...see you soon...

A picture like this, with low light, shows well the shape of the new design of the front...done absolutely with recycled parts!

DCP_9442.jpg

...and powered on...

DCP_9473.JPG

And last but not least, for fanatics of LEDs, a bit of them on a fan inside the tower case.

DCP_9449.JPG

Ciao
Stefano

Last edited:
You're brave for doing a case like that.

Hello,

i appreciate; like you this Tower case?

I am not a technician, anyway this thread may inspire someone to do something similar...maybe it was without ideas, and now he can do a tower for himself.

Ciao
Stefano

Last edited:
...ta-da

DCP_9476.JPG

I am open to accept donations, like not working A3640 or Zorro cards like Gfx cards.
I have done some software for the comunity, and posted here some nice works, so donations are welcome!

Ciao
Stefano

Hello,

the picture above is a bit dark! Anyway just to capture the good feel that an old computer could give!
Next steps are 1) the side panels, 2) the front button linked to the jumper "power_sw" (reset button is already working) and 3) the painting work...i have a nice idea...maybe stupid for someone...anyway stay tuned!

Ciao
Stefano

Hello,

how to use the original side panels? I bet you will mount it from below...but this is not correct; in this case, just mount it from above.
There is some reasons: below, the part to add, to cover the new space, is not much visible; it is allowed to change style (and more easy to find a solution); but first of all, there is some lights on the interior of the tower; they will cast green light on the floor, because the addition will be transparent!

Look this pictures...

DCP_9488.JPG DCP_9484.jpg DCP_9486.JPG

Ciao
Stefano

Last edited:
20200722_130916.jpg

20200722_223035.jpg

...the new panels to cover the bottom part is already on test...will see if the result is good.

Ciao
Stefano

Hello,

watch!

20200727_200018.jpg 20200727_200102.jpg 20200727_200158.jpg

the tower is almost completed. Panels are mounted, and you can see the final result.
Painting is not complete...just a part of it. Why a pink matter that melt? It is a loong story. To be short, in this days i have seen on a shop a cake with pink sugar, that has caught my attention and inspired me. Anyway, on the top will be painted a lettering that will explain a bit the sense of this stuff rosa.

Now, i am looking to port this beauty to MC68040...

Bye

Hello,

actually on this computer, i have installed two of my IDE cards; the configuration of, is showed here

info_b.jpg info_a.jpg

config_ide.jpg

where SysInfo reports the following values

hd_ide.jpg cf_ide.jpg cd_ide.jpg

The last feature, completed at 99%, is the removability of ATAPI medium (like ZIP discs, JAZ or tapes).
The problem is on the icon of the device mounted, that, sometimes, refuse to be on the WorkBench...maybe an unresolved "Lock" (a function of AmigaDOS)?
Will see and keep informed the owners of this card (three in the world...a world Guinness record!).

Cheers
Stefano

- - - Updated - - -

Donations are welcome...and i am glad to know if someone was stimolated by this thread, to do something similar.

Tell me.

Stefano

Hello,

as said, i am glad to know if someone has profited of this thread to do something similar...tell me!
...And donations are wellcome, to complete this tower (i am looking for not working Zorro card and A3640)

Bye

Up this thread, if you have missed it!

...And donations are wellcome!

Have fun with this thread.

Back
Top Bottom