PS/2 to Gotek or clone standard 3.5" Floppy Diskette Drive adapter cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi WBST, I'd be interested in 1x 40 pin cable if you're still making them, it'd be great to get my 55/SX back up and running. Thanks!

Hi WBST, I'd be interested in 1x 40 pin cable if you're still making them, it'd be great to get my 55/SX back up and running. Thanks!

PM replied to, 34-pin and postage agreed, payment received, with thanks.

Hello,

I have a PS/2 model 30 286.
Floppy is 34 pin male connector.
I tried to replace the capacitors but the board was too damaged to repair.
Do you make an adapter for a standard floppy for this model?
If so I would appreciate it greatly if you would be able to supply one.

Thanks,
Sonny von Helmst

m30-floppy.jpg

Hi Sonny,

I started this project with the intention of using Gotek drives (with FlashFloppy firmware) in PS/2 Models. My adapter cables are just to extract the PS/2 40/34-pin interface's power lines to a 4-way power connector, which works fine for a Gotek (SFR1M44-U100) as it actively controls the signal lines too. However, PS/2 FDDs pull a number of Active Low signals High on the drive (when selected by DS1) except when driving them Low, whereas "industry standard"/clone FDDs *do not*, relying upon the motherboard to do this. So, other means are needed to perform this pulling High of the appropriate signals only when the individual drive is selected, *or* if no actual PS/2 FDD is used in parallel with an "industry standard"/clone FDD (A: and B: drives). See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCJVzGTQEiw
for an example.

These compatibility aspects have only recently become widely known and understood, and are still being incorporated into PS/2 floppy drive adapter solutions. I can't provide a complete solution to the signal line control issue.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Tim.
From what I read today 2.88 PS/2 drives can be used in place of the model 30 286 1.44 so I will give that a shot.

Sonny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom