Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW Amiga DB23 Female videos connectors will soon be available!

Country
    USA
    Region:
    Rolla, MO
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

Default NEW Amiga DB23 Female videos connectors will soon be available!

EDIT December 10, 2020: The connectors have arrived so the preorder period is over so I am closing this thread. They will go on general sale soon and I will start a new thread for that. Thanks to everyone for all of your support during this project.

Let us introduce ourselves. We are Francis Gradel from Retronic Design and Jeff Birt from Soigeneris. For months we have been working on getting Amiga DB23 Female video connectors reproduced. We started working separately on this project, but then through a twist of fate we joined forces to bring this much needed connector back to the Amiga community.

This has been an arduous process. We contacted and interviewed many manufacturers. We also did destructive tear downs on many different connectors to find a manufacturer who could build high quality connectors at a reasonable price. With a specialty connector like this the tooling is a significant investment so we wanted to get it right.

The next step in the process is for the custom tooling to be produced and the first DB23F samples to arrive for evaluation. After the new connectors pass quality control tests, we’ll have the full production started. Allowing time for the tooling to be tweaked to get the connectors just right we are aiming to have new stock in hand as early as the end of August but no later than the end of 2020.

We are now accepting pre-orders with a promised shipment date no later than December 2020. The pre-orders are offered with special pricing and has Francis set up a dedicated webpage to handle this process. The bottom of the pre-order page has a bit more about our story. We will update the webpage, forums, etc. with the project progress.

UPDATE September, 19, 2020: The tooling is now in production and we should have samples about October 28, 2020. Francis had the great idea to add a 'goalmometer' to the pre-order website & a bonus goal. If we get to $8,000 in pre-sales everyone will get 10% more connectors for free with their order, orders under 10 pieces will get 10% off.

Pre-order pricing is as follows. Shipping is calculated automatically based on quantity and the rates are world wide.

Connector Pricing
    1-9 5.25$ USD each
    10+ 4,75$ USD each
    100+ 4,00$ USD each

World-Wide Shipping Pricing for various quantities. Pre-order page will calculate based on connector quantity
    QTY 5 - $10
    QTY 10 - $15
    QTY 25 - $15
    QTY 50 - $20

Future projects: After getting the production of DB23F connectors taken care of we are looking at potentially having plastic hoods made to fit the connectors.

EDIT October 7, 2020: Just got the 3D model from the manufacture and wanted to share.

Last edited by Jeff_Birt; 10th December 2020 at 13:25. Reason: Preorder period over

I look like Gizmo Treasurer
    Lead Moderator
    Amibayer!
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Boston, Lincs
    Feedback
    188 (100%)

Thread re-opened so that the pricing table can be added to post #1

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Schleswig-Holstein
    Feedback
    25 (100%)

Is it allowed to ask for a group buy for Germany to share and save shipping costs? I would take 5.

Country
    Ireland
    Region:
    Northern Ireland
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

I would buy a whole bunch of these also. What is the shipping prices? I'm in UK. Say I were to buy 10?

Country
    USA
    Region:
    Rolla, MO
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

Hi, the pre-order form calculates shipping based on quantity. Shipping price is to anywhere in the world. I'll list a few examples below and add to information in 1st post, but you can go to the pre-order page and check for a specific quantity.

Shipping cost for
    QTY 5 - $10
    QTY 10 - $15
    QTY 25 - $15
    QTY 50 - $20

Country
    Ireland
    Region:
    Northern Ireland
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

oops sorry I thought that was the cost per unit. Ok I will that check that out then thanks.

Country
    USA
    Region:
    Rolla, MO
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

We tried to make the pre-order form as simple as possible. You type in the quantity of connectors and it will calculate the shipping and the total.

Country
    USA
    Region:
    Rolla, MO
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

Hello everyone. Francis and I wanted to give you an update on the DB23F connectors. We were dealt another setback, but we are persistent, and we are determined to get this accomplished. We ran into another issue regarding ownership of the tooling we were paying for. Someone in Europe seems to be insistent that they get free access to it.

We contacted another manufacturer who was one of our top three choices initially and have worked out a manufacturing agreement with them. We should have the first samples in hand mid-September. That would put the arrival of the first manufacturing run of connectors about the first of December.

While this is later than we hoped for it still gives us a very good chance to get the pre-orders shipped before the end of the year. We want to keep you all informed as to what the progress was on this project and what the struggles are trying to get retro computer parts reproduced.

We will post pictures of the first sample connectors we get from the new tooling as soon as possible.

Jeff Birt and Francis Gradel

Country
    USA
    Region:
    Rolla, MO
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

Hello everyone. Francis and I wanted to give you an update on the DB23F connectors. First, please note that in the previous update on 8/31/2020 I errantly said we would have samples mid-September, of course it takes longer than 2 weeks to get tooling produced, I should have said mid-October.

The production of the tooling is underway, and we expect the first samples about October 28th! This should still give us a very good chance to get the pre-orders shipped before the end of the year. We want to keep you all informed as to what the progress was on this project and what the struggles are trying to get retro computer parts reproduced. It is certainly not as simple as just placing an order for a product that already exists.

We will post pictures of the first sample connectors we get from the new tooling as soon as possible.

Jeff Birt and Francis Gradel

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Schleswig-Holstein
    Feedback
    25 (100%)

Could you please describe them. Is it the version with 180 or 90 pins to solder?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast