Filled Amiga 500+ board help - is it dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RED IMPACT

Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Lancashire
I picked up an Amiga 500+ at the weekend and promptly opened it to check for...an expansion card - but didn't find one but I did find the dreaded battery and low and behold there is leakage :(

I can't repair it as that isn't my speciality so basically I am asking the community for some advice, is the board salvageable or is it deader than disco? See images:

Other than that, the machine itself is in nice condition, some yellowing to the keys as expected. I haven't powered it up yet as I haven't got an aerial lead to plug into the modulator but I do need to dig out my parallel scart cable but I am not holding out much hope...hoping it can be repaired.

Last edited:
Boards much worse than that have been brought to life. The corrosion has blackened some of the nearby traces underneath the green solder mask, so those are liable to fail if they have not already done so. There are plenty of people here on the board who can perform such repairs - I'm sure you can find someone who is close by. If you have a pair of small pliers or snips, you should in any case cut the battery off the board and clean the worst mess off straight away to limit further damage.

These days it's even possible to take all the important custom chips and transplant them to a newly manufactured PCB, as the board design has been reverse-engineered. Of course this is a much larger soldering job, and probably not needed for limited damage like you have here.

as above ive seen far worse repaired successfully.

before powering on I would remove the battery and lightly clean up.

there's a mono video output you can use if no scarts cable or modulator or just listen for the floppy drive click as it waits for a disk to be inserted,

but looking at the photo's you need to clean quite a distance from the battery looking at the "dullness" if thats a word of the pins on the nearby chips.

varta.jpg

i have repaired one yesterday

new socket end new gary and new cia

new 74ls244 and a new connection from pad and one resistor

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, nice to hear that it is repairable at least. I suppose the next step is to ask if anyone on here is able and willing to do the repair. Do I just ask here or should I make a specific request post?

Place a services wanted post in the relevant section

but is it not working ? Simply cleaning the attack from the darth varta might be enough

Quick update:

Varta has been removed. Has been powered up but not sure if RF is tuned but no image on screen. Should A500 make disk drive 'click' like A600/A1200 does awaiting disk?

​Quick update, bebek offered to repair the battery leak damage and board has been sent to him.

Also @bebek - your inbox is full!

Moved to services area so that feedback can be completed eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom