SOLVED - A500 Workbench 3.1 No keyboard access, help!!!

bygberbrown

Country
Australia
Region
Sydney, NSW
So this is a weird one. Ive had my A500 for ages and only kust recently noticed that I cant access my copy of Workbench 1.3 using keyboard commands, as in I cant type anything into the calculator, I cant type in the Shell etc. Mouse works fine but Id love to be.able to mess around properly with Workbench. Is this something to do with Write Protection on the Workbench disk?

Keyboard works fine during games with keyboard controls, so keyboard is working.

Ben

Last edited:
Flick the write protect to OFF on the Workbench floppy disk. Boot into Workbench then go into the System folder ... Find and load Setmap program

Double check that the correct country or keyboard layout is selected. Select Save and quit back to Workbench screen. Close all windows, remove the Workbench floppy disk and flick the write protect back to ON.

Reinsert the disk into the floppy drive, wait for the disk access light to go out then reboot the A500.

See if that helps any.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've realised there's an issue with the hardware. The caps lock is blinking 3 times, and researched that this means Watchdog Timer error. I've now got the thing open and am hunting for the correct IC to attempt to reseat... 741S? Can't find it.

Last edited:
So I opened up the 500, cleaned out the dust, reseated the ribbon connector from the keyboard to the rest of the A500 and voila... Keyboard is working!

How do threads get marked as solved, i'm only new. Do I do it or do Admins?

Ben

Last edited:
So I opened up the 500, cleaned out the dust, reseated the ribbon connector from the keyboard to the rest of the A500 and voila... Keyboard is working!

How do threads get marked as solved, i'm only new. Do I do it or do Admins?

Ben

Admins do it when we spot the changes or you can report the thread to bring it to our attention quicker.

I'll mark it as Solved

Back
Top Bottom