Found GVP A1230 Turbo+ Series 2 (JAWS 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bSr43

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Country
France
Region
Nord
Hi,

In order to rebuild my original A1200 setup, I'm looking for a GVP A1230 Turbo+ Series 2 accelerator card (also called JAWS II), with a 68030 CPU @40Mhz; my original card was a 68EC030, so this is even better if it is this CPU!
I don't need the SCSI interface, and it doesn't matter if it has no 68882 (even if it is better if it has an FPU, but this is something I should be able to find easily if needed).
I would also need it to have FAST RAM installed (4 MB would be perfect) as I think that those cards would not boot if there was no RAM installed (if I remember correctly)

Thank you!

Hi,

the cards DO boot without ram, I found this out back in the late 90's when I seen little or no speed improvement when I installed my shiney new card that i saved up for.

I contacted GVP complaining of the no improvement for my money and was told that's normal i need to buy fast ram for it to see any speed improvement.

As I had a limited budget back then I couldn't afford the ram and the card at the same time, so I put on my best puppy eyes to my mother and borrowed enough to buy a 1mb simm

then it was very fast,, and later saved up and got a 4mb simm so 5mb total :) happy days.

Remember GVP ram is non standard 64 pin there was a seller on here but might have sold out.

Good to know, as I’m still trying to find why my original card only gives me a black screen. At least, I can track the issue without the RAM installed [emoji4]

My JAWS-II needs a tiny/fractional bump out from fully being seated, or the connector alignment and/or the keyboard pressure down causes a black screen at power on. It's also a tight fit to the trapdoor so pusing it in all the way seems logical (but causes issues). Also, if the 4-pin oscillator is removable, and has ever been taken out (or fallen out)/put in 180 reverse and powered, it damages the component (this applies to any CPU board, not just this one). The sharp point corner of the can matches the corner on the PCB silkscreen.

I've received the card today, and it is working as expected. Thank you very much, Kavven! Positive feedback left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom