BPPC 603e repair

Country
Nederland
Region
Limburg
Hi all,

I recently aquired a defective bppc 603e from amibay. It is unknown to the previous owner what was wrong with the card, but clearly was worked on with a heatgun, as the xtal sockets and fan have burn marks.
The PPC die was damaged too and some of the qfp pins are missing, but I believe they are not connected to anything. There was a short to 3.3 ground and 5V to ground. That pretty much sums up the state of the card.

I worked on it. it now shows no signs of shorts. It still is missing the PPC, thats on its way.

I was confident enough the put the BPPC in my a1200 (1d4 with timing fixes). All I am getting is a black screen. The miggy does respond to ctrl Amiga Amiga. Caps led responds too.
I am using an A600PSU at the moment. Thas seems to hold up the voltage @ a steady 5V, the fan works too.
CLPDS get hot, really hot after about 30 to 50 seconds after power on. The card was configured for a 060, but I reconfigured it to hold an 040@33mhz. Jumpers and xtal 66Mhz.

I used the know keys, like a, s, 2, esc, mousebuttons etc.. but that doesn't make any change.

1: can the a600 psu power the BPPC? Or should I use a beefy ATX psu?
2: Is it possible that the ROM needs reflashing, or should the a1200 boot anyway?
3: Should I wait untill PPC is mounted?
4: I aquired some xtals, like these https://www.budgetronics.eu/nl/quar...tz-kristal-oscillator-60-mhz/a-12365-10000153. But there is no info on voltage or type.
5: Will the BPPC start without RAM? And is it picky about this 60 or 70ns, voltage??

Any help is appriciated!

Last edited:
Ok, so. The arriving of the PPC CPU is majorly delayed unfortunatly.

I found correct memory, I had to check many models, but I have 16MB EDO RAM in de BPPC now.
As mentioned before, there is arround 4.95V on the FAN output and the LT1585. I have 5V oscillators installed and the 68040 installed as well. All CLPD's and the 040 get hot. The CLPD's stop at 69c and the 040 arround 55c.
There are a few things to check:
1: A1200 needs a recap
2: BPPC ROM has been erased. I have no tools to fix that at the moment.
3: BPPC card does not start without BPPC installed.

Currently done testing I guess. Waiting for the PPC CPU to make the card whole again.

I had to use a 4.5A PSU when I tried my BPPC card, else my Amiga would not start. And a re-cap of the A1200 will probably not solve the BPPC issues.

With my BPPC I used my Golitah PSU due to the power needed, I found a regular A500 4.5A PSU was not enough especially if a B-vision was attached to the BPPC.

I now only use my BPPC in my Towered A1200 because of the power required and the heat generated by the card.

I know, I might need to find a better PSU. Even my ATX psu is not supplying an adequate 5V. I still think this is due to bad caps on the a1200 as well. Thats something I can fix. I still have to wait for the PPC CPU and if the flasrom is gone, I have to find help for that. Than I have done everything within my powers.

I have the PPC CPU installed. That gets warm on boot. Still a black screen and 4.85V on the 5V rail. ROM defect maybe? To low in volts?

Back
Top Bottom