pauljh

Rating - 92.3%
12   1   0
Country
UK
Region
Bristol
Hi,.
Suppose you lost the ball to a amiga/atari mouse, any idea how to get a replacement? or even find out what they were made of?, any tips, searching for "mouse ball" doesn't really give me any useful results!.

Ta!

I am getting plenty of results when I search for "mouse ball replacement", mostly to replacement kits with 20-21mm steel balls covered with rubber. Not sure what the diameter of an Amiga mouse is and if it was standardised back then. A great question actually! I am going to do some measurements and get back to you.

Ok, did the measurements last week, but then life got in the way and I couldn't post my findings.

so RESULTS are in! I have tested two Amiga ball mice, the original Commodore Tank mouse and and Alphadata branded one.

Both have balls with a diameter of roughly 21.8mm.

IMG_20210306_180132_344.jpgIMG_20210306_180210_040.jpgIMG_20210306_180710_061.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

HOWEVER, Atari ST mice balls are larger! (I just read that again LOL : -)

25.2mm to be exact

View attachment 164892

Last edited:
LOL, I can't believe I actually went ahead and measured BALLS!

Part of me now wonders if the question wasn't an elaborate trolling attempt ��

I don't think there was any real standard dimension. I've compared several mice and they all had slightly different dimensions. Take a chance and buy the cheapest old mouse you can find on ebay.

Bryce.

Thanks amigean!, I think searching for "mouse ball replacement" was a better idea than "mouse ball". Thanks for the measurements.

Thanks to Bryce aswell.

I measured the balls for some PC mice i have here and the diameter varies from 21.85 to 21.95mm, so i guess Atari have the biggest balls of them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom