PRS

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Dutchieland (Netherlands)
Region
Utrecht
Hi Guys,

Encouraged by Rakeim132 I'm opening a topic to show-off my A500 Plus, which I have expanded quite extensively.

Ofcourse the love for the Amiga started with an Amiga 500, rev. 3 chickenlips back in the days. But when the A500 Plus came out, I sold the A500 (not realizing the good Chickenlips keyboard was in there) and bought the A500 Plus. I spend a lot of time on that one, so it will not be a supprise that this is one Amiga that has a special place in my heart.
Unfortunately, when I got interested in Amiga's again, firering up my trusted A500 Plus, I soon bought an A1200. And the A500 became unused and I sold it here on Amibay.

That didn't last long as I wanted the A500 Plus back so soon there after bought again an A500 Plus and started expanding...

So how did I expand it...
Let's start that the first thing that was done is to remove the battery, no worries there...
- Indivision ECS
- 2x 512kB Indivision daisy chain expansion
- GVP A530 68030 at 40MHz (the best looking expansion for an A500!) with 8MB
- Changed the SCSI harddrive to a SCSI2SD rev. 5 fitted with an 8GB SD card
- Changed the fan of the GVP by a Noctua PVM as it was a bit noisy
- Fitted the A530 with a temperature controller to control the fan speed of the Nocua (heat sink on the 68030 with temperature sensor)
- Aquired an A314 and swapped with the 2x 512kB
- Fitted the A314 with a RaspberryPi 3b (WiFi access to Internet and NAS)
- KCS HD Drive Deluxe (dual HD external floppy drive)
- 4-way kickstart ROM (Kipper2k, hold down reset to change from 3.1.4 --> 3.1 --> 2.0 --> 1.3)
- Chickenlips / Hi-Tek / Space Invaders keyboard
- Chinon FB-357a
- GVP AT286 PC-board
- DF0/DF1 switch with softcontrol (hold down firebutten while startup)
- Recapped with nice red Würth capacitors
- New powersupply
- External SCSI CD Burner

To ease the boot sequence, I'm having the startup-sequence reading the current kickstart rom. Upon that result I'm letting it boot from the related partition:
- Kickstart 1.3 found --> Workbench 1.3 loading
- Kickstart 2.0 found --> Workbench 2.1 loading
- Kickstart 3.1 found --> Let the user choose between Workbench 3.1 or AOS 3.9
- Kickstart 3.1.4 found --> Workbench 3.1.4 loading
The workbenches itself are pretty clean with hardly any eye candy.

So the Amiga 500 Plus is actually fitted with 4 processors:
- Arm/Cortex of the RPi
- 80286 of the GVP PC-board

This is all connected to my BenQ BL912-B mounted on a swivel arm (to be able to use it also for my A1200)...

To give you an impression of my setup, I've ofcourse made some pictures for you to enjoy:
Full set.jpg Internals overview.jpg Internals Left.jpg Internals Middle.jpg Internals Right.jpg Power supply.jpg WB2.1.jpg WB3.1.jpg WB3.9.jpg

Attachments

• A500+A530.jpg
    A500+A530.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
This is a hell of a beast, mate !
Hard to have a fuller machine, I reckon. Amazing. I do love the multiboot part... and the 4 processors.
That (A500 + A530 Turbo) is what I saw first when I was introduced to the Amiga, in 1991.
I still remmeber the shock, coming from CPC6128 Amstrad.... I never came down to Earth since then.
Congratulations, mate! I hope to have something similar one day, but you did it!!
:bounceBoingBall:

- - - Updated - - -

After having looked carefully at the internals I'm even more impressed by the quaility of the works done (nice recap!) and the top cable-management done in it!

Could you please detail the controls of the df0/df1 changer ?? It looks like a "sniffer" device but you say it doesn't listen to the keyboard but the oress of a joystick button..?

Sorry for the late reply.

I’m using the OpenAmigaMouseTrigger from SukkoPera. This device can get any signal and trigger the DF0/DF1 switch (also from SukkoPera).
In my setup, I’m using the joystick firebutton for the switch, but this can also be the left or right mouse if you would like. You would only connect the green wire in my setup to a different pin on the CIA.

Back
Top Bottom