CDTV SCSI Issues

kgllewellyn

The RetroHoosk
Country
United States & Canada
Region
Blaine, WA & Vancouver, BC
Hello!

I recently picked up a CDTV SCSI card which looks like one of these (https://picclick.co.uk/Commodore-Amiga-CDTV-SCSI-Card-324420394870.html) - However it's been giving me a lot of grief, my CDTV will probably only boot up with it switched on once every ten or twenty boots. As in it will freeze on the white screen after initializing scsi.device and polling the bus (the activity LED on my drive flashes when it does so). I have to keep hitting reset on my CDTV until it eventually proceeds to get past the white screen after which it boots from my drive without issue. When it does work, I have zero issues, no freezing, no issues booting or anything like that. This behavior happens regardless of whether anything is plugged into the DB-25 connector on the exterior.

Has anyone had this kind of issue before and did you figure out anything that resolved this problem?

Thanks!

Looks like communication issue between MB chipset and scsi controller. I observed similar when I failed recap ;-)
What BootROM version do you have? Original 1.0 or upgraded 2.07 or 2.30? I use 2.30. If you have 1.0 (it's displayed on spinning disc logo screen near leftbdown corner) I suggest you upgrade BootRom.

Wysłane z mojego SM-A715F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Have had similar issues with a CDTV with 3.x and ext 2.30

The cause could be different, in my case it was the PSU. I replaced it with a picoPSU and the adapter.

Thanks! So I'm on BootROM 1.0 and I haven't inspected the PSU either. I'll see if I can get the BootROM upgraded and check if the voltages are dropping below spec on the PSU output.

I had very very similar issues. Scsi2sd v5.5 25pin would not work without external power but would be so unstable. Got a v5.2 and 50pin to db25. All worked no external power required. I’m running 1.3/3.1 rom switch and rom 2.30

Tarnished edge connector maybe? Have you tried removing and refitting the card a few times to see if it improves contact?

Back
Top Bottom