Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CD32 Amiga wireless gamepad

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    South Australia
    Feedback

Hi Barry,
    Sorry I misunderstood how you were doing that!
    No soldering is a nice way around it. And that adapter is pretty cool - might grab a couple myself.
    Thanks for giving it a try. Will let you know if I manage to be able to get the full CD32 buttons working.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Finger lickin' good Amibayer! matt020's Avatar
    Country
    Western Australia
    Region:
    Western Australia
    Feedback
    10 (100%)

Ok, where do I start.........

Gamepad arrived and I opened the 9 pin wireless adapter to see if it would be easy enough to cut pins and re-wire (as per the first post). It was a bit of a disaster. It wasn't easily done, it required a lot of heat and I wasn't happy with what I was doing to this little circuit board. So I stopped and went to work on making a 9 pin to 9 pin adapter, crossing over pins 5 and 7.

I then realised that I had actually cut the wrong pin on the Gamepad's 9 pin wireless adapter, I desoldered pin 1 and not pin 5. My mistake, and I'll come back to this....

I made up a 9 pin to 9 pin adapter, it took some time as I had to remove plastic coating on the tip of each wire, tin each wire, solder up each wire... it just took time. Once finished, I put it into a nice little metal case I had bought, and I then had a 9 pin to 9 pin adapter, home made, with pins 5 and 7 swapped. I connected it up to the Amiga, loaded AmigaTestKit and tested the gamepad. It works! Except for UP. No UP. Why???

Remember I desoldered the wrong pin on the 9 pin wireless adapter? I actually desoldered pin 1 by error. That is for UP! I resoldered it.... but nothing. No UP. I think I have burnt a trace, or burnt out whatever pin 1 goes to on the circuit board. It's my own fault, too much heat, but my purchase was now useless.

Then I looked into it a bit more. I have a few HID2AMI adapters I bought from Lemaru here on Amibay. USB mouse / USB gamepad adapter. I looked up the list of compatible gamepads. Well I'll be the son of a monkey's uncle. The USB version of this gamepad is compatible with the HID2AMI !!!!!

I should have just bought the USB version. It would have just worked. No adapter to be made. No wires to be crossed over. No missing UP button
    Amiga 1000/500/2000/3000/600/1200/4000/CD32, and a C64

Finger lickin' good Amibayer! matt020's Avatar
    Country
    Western Australia
    Region:
    Western Australia
    Feedback
    10 (100%)

And the USB version isn't recognised by the HID2AMI.

Urghh.

I have sent emails to the person who updates the HID2AMI firmware, I have now sent HID descriptor information, and hopefully it can be added to the list of gamepads that work on the HID2AMI.

But this may be going off topic now...

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    South Australia
    Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by matt020 View Post
    Ok, where do I start.........

Gamepad arrived and I opened the 9 pin wireless adapter to see if it would be easy enough to cut pins and re-wire (as per the first post). It was a bit of a disaster. It wasn't easily done, it required a lot of heat and I wasn't happy with what I was doing to this little circuit board. So I stopped and went to work on making a 9 pin to 9 pin adapter, crossing over pins 5 and 7.

I then realised that I had actually cut the wrong pin on the Gamepad's 9 pin wireless adapter, I desoldered pin 1 and not pin 5. My mistake, and I'll come back to this....

I made up a 9 pin to 9 pin adapter, it took some time as I had to remove plastic coating on the tip of each wire, tin each wire, solder up each wire... it just took time. Once finished, I put it into a nice little metal case I had bought, and I then had a 9 pin to 9 pin adapter, home made, with pins 5 and 7 swapped. I connected it up to the Amiga, loaded AmigaTestKit and tested the gamepad. It works! Except for UP. No UP. Why???

Remember I desoldered the wrong pin on the 9 pin wireless adapter? I actually desoldered pin 1 by error. That is for UP! I resoldered it.... but nothing. No UP. I think I have burnt a trace, or burnt out whatever pin 1 goes to on the circuit board. It's my own fault, too much heat, but my purchase was now useless.

Then I looked into it a bit more. I have a few HID2AMI adapters I bought from Lemaru here on Amibay. USB mouse / USB gamepad adapter. I looked up the list of compatible gamepads. Well I'll be the son of a monkey's uncle. The USB version of this gamepad is compatible with the HID2AMI !!!!!

I should have just bought the USB version. It would have just worked. No adapter to be made. No wires to be crossed over. No missing UP button
    Oh. wow. So sorry you had so many probs. Thats very painful.

Some tips on how I did the desoldering:
    - I cut the pins first before desoldering so they wouldnt be a big heatsink - this is probably why you needed alot of heat.
    - I used a "solder sucker" to pull off as much solder as possible before applying enough heat to remove the remaining bit.
    Even if you desolder a wrong pin you should be able to get it working again. Just run a wire back to the pad.

The 'no soldering' solution Barry showed is probably the best if you dont want to pull this apart. Its quite neat actually - Thanks for that Barry.
    I hope the USB one works out. That would be a nice way to go too.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Country
    England
    Region:
    west midlands
    Feedback
    366 (100%)

Actually as a two button wireless controller it works great, I did the same as Barry and got a couple of those 9pin Dsub adapters, but I used some diode protection as shown in Rob Cs pinout below

https://i.imgur.com/Dy5DUO3.jpg
    Last edited by supaduper; 27th July 2021 at 17:16.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12