Thread: Does anybody repair and refurbish hard drives?

Country
    USA
    Region:
    Montana
    Feedback
    Blog Entries

Default Does anybody repair and refurbish hard drives?

I have attached a photo of my non-working hard drive. I just had another one in my A-3000. Fortunately, I had installed a Buddha IDE CF adapter card in one of the Zorro slots and transferred the contents. I have spent the last 3 months trying to get a SCSI CD reader/player in both my A-2000HD and my A-3000. The one attached briefly to the 3000 using a Centronics cable worked well for a while, but now have 2 CD ROM drives which don't work. Maybe I should quit buying them on ebay.

Back to the question, can hard drives be repaired, and who is available to repair them? Or should I junk them, since they are heavy, and together in a wire basket or bucket would make a good boat anchor. And, how difficult is it to get an IDE CD ROM drive to work with my Buddha card in my amigas? Thanks for any input.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hard Drives.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	167886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CD Drive.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	167887
    Last edited by Sardine; 1st July 2021 at 14:03. Reason: removed price comment

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    109 (100%)

Hello,

in the meantime you reach serious replies about your questions, maybe you are interested on this

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.ph...-for-ZORRO-bus

Just read the thread...just for fun, to have a better idea of what you are looking for.

Regards
    Stefano

Lead Moderator
    Administrator
    Country
    England
    Region:
    Merseyside
    Feedback
    245 (100%)

The only time I believe a hard drive is repairable ( unless you send to a clean room refurb centre for data recovery )
    is when the actual physical hard disk platters are in good condition / no errors and unopened and its the drive controller that's failed.

even when the drive controller is swapped over to recover the data the drive is then unreliable due the the factory bad block list that each drive is unique.

in my opinion once a "newish / recentish ( if that's a word )" hard disk has bad blocks its then unreliable and req replacing asap, older drives pre 1gb tended to be more robust and it was common practice ( when i was a nipper ) to simply map out these defects during an MS dos scandisk / defrag