A3000D upgrade to a3660 issue

Milesunder

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
Hi all,

need some help and advice on the following issue.

i recently purchased (6 months ago or so) my Amiga 3000d. The board was in good condition. The battery had been replaced and couldn’t see any damage. The board was rev9 with 3.1.4 ROMs and came with the standard 030 onboard running the fpu. I then have installed a buster rev11 and replaced the 50mb scsi drive with a rev6 SCSI2SD. In this configuration the a3k Boots and runs os3.2 without issue.

where the problem comes is when I then stick a a3660 50mhz board into the machine it then doesn’t boot. I have followed the instructions on the a3660 and changed the relevant jumpers. All I get is a blank screens with the power light flashing 6 or 7 times and then repeating.

i have tried a different cpu board a a3640 with the 060 adapter and I get the same issue. I do recall replacing the full 060 with an LC 060 and It did boot but it was very flaky where it wouldn’t fully boot and would then crash.

any advice would be appreciated or information required.

the LC topic leads to one question:
are you still using the original BootROMs from that A3000 ? i remember that the code of all Kickstarts below version 3.1.4 is _not able_ to handle any 060 with FPU.
using 3.2 should do the trick as their reset-routines are now 060 compatible - but you need this as a "real" ROM .. not softkicked

You have modding wire INT2 ?

No I haven’t. I didn’t think it was needed on the a3640/60 processor cards.

I put my LC 060 in the card yesterday and strangely that didn’t boot either.

the KS ROMs i have are 3.1.4 and i am currently waiting!!! On RetroPassion to send me my 3.2 ROMs.

could it be something as simple as a dirty cpu slot? I plan to get some contact cleaner and a toothbrush on it at the weekend.

does anyone know if the jumper settings on the board are different when using an LC 060?

despite two cards not working I have a spare a3630 I could test which had an fpu.

does anyone know what the jumper settings should be on that card?

Sadly Google isn't my friend. I had googled the issue before posting and I believe I came across this post to no avail.

Since my last post I have tested the following things and I believe I am a little closer to identifying what I believe is the issue. However, I am not sure what the solution is...

So I cleaned the fast cpu expansion slot on the board and tested both my a3640 with 060 adpator and a3660. Also tested with the LC cpu. There was no change in boot.

I have upgraded the SCSI chip on the board and again haven't seen much of a change.

Lastly I removed my SCSI2SD v6 2021 version from the a3K, plugged in my external gotek and boom the a3k displayed the kickstart screen. loaded the install3.2.adf and got into workbench. One thing I did notice that was strange was when I ran sysinfo 4.3 it reported the speed test around 8k dyhrstones. I would have expected seriously more.

Anyway when I plugged the SCSI2SD back in I got a solid light on the SCSI activity and the Amiga would not boot. Replaced the SD card for a shiny new card and reuploaded to the SCSI2SD the config. This allowed me to boot the HDsetup3.2 disk. I used the HDsetup program. selected Id6 as the target and that seemed fine. however, during the configuration process the Amiga crashed and ended up with the lit SCSI light and no activity. Tried a SCSI2SD 5.1 and had the same issue. I am half tempeted just to buy a budha and run it off compact flash.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be. Seems not to be CPU although reading the suggested link again it does mention the SCSI on the a3k is sensitive to timings. So could this be the issue?

Any help gratefully recieved.

Found ! Dmac 02 and Ramsey 07 are not compatibles ! Try Dmac 02 with Ramsey 04 and you have resolved problems. :D

"RAMSEY and DMAC

The RAMSEY and DMAC chips are important A3000 custom chips that, among other things, implement part of the A3000's onboard DMA SCSI host adapter.
Nearly all A3000 were delivered with the revision combination of DMAC-02 and RAMSEY-04. The problem with this combination is, the DMAC-02 does not like 68040 boards like the A3640. There are both heat and timing problems.
If you are lucky, the tolerances of your DMAC-02 are wide enough to work together with the A3640. If you are not so lucky, SCSI will not work correctly anymore with the A3640 installed.
To overcome this problem for the A3000T-040, Commodore designed new revisions of these chips: RAMSEY-07 and DMAC-04. If your DMAC-02 has problems with the A3640, all you would need to do is to exchange your old RAMSEY and DMAC revisions with the newer ones. But in reality, you can not buy a DMAC-04. In general, they are no longer available anymore (except some single pieces that dealers might have in stock).
The RAMSEY-07 is available as a spare part (because it is also used in the A4000T), but this will not help you. The problem is in the DMAC, not in the RAMSEY and a RAMSEY-07 together with a DMAC-02 does not work at all. You need either both chips in the old revisions, or both in the new revisions.
If you have an extremely old A3000, you might even have a DMAC-01. This one runs very hot and has even more problems with '040 boards. I also heard of a RAMSEY-03, but don't know any difference to RAMSEY-04."

Last edited:
So mine is a rev9 and when I bought the a3k came with the versions of chips stated above. It had no issues running with that combination with the onboard 030.

another interesting thing that happened yesterday evening was i put kickstart 3.2 ROMs in the a3k and replaced the SCSI2SD with a version 5.1 card. Managed to boot the machine with my external gotek loading the hard preparation adf file. It booted and allowed me to start the hard disk preparation. It got part way and then locked up. Left it overnight and then this evening powered it on, and it allowed me to run the install3.2.adf. It got as far as the glow icons question and the locked up with the solid hard activity light.

I have now left it. Put a wanted add up for a DMAC rev4 chip and will see where that goes. Will probably look at getting a Buddha instead and see how that performs. Alternatively I could leave it as a stock 030?

Back
Top Bottom