How to use the Buddha part of the Catweasel ZII?

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Hi.

I have the Catweasel zorro II, which comes with 3 non bootable Buddha IDE port.
I have installed all the Buddha software from teh original floppy.
However, i am unable to use any IDE device so far.
I have tried an IDE Disk on Module, a 160 GB IDE drive and a 4GB drive that is already amiga SFS formatted.
None is seen on the WB and nothing is seen in HDToolBox.

I am afraid to have fried the board when i first connected the disk on module upside down (pin 1 was not marked). The board is seen as working in the early startup and is detected by BuddhaSpeed in WBStartup.

In 2005, i used this board with a racked 80 GB HD, but i can't remember how i did it.
I do not have the manual anymore unfortunately.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know what you've done, but infos on internet say, it's all functions of buddha included, so also autoboot should be possible. No Autoboot is for the FLOPPY part of the card, there, multidisk-device must be installed (from disk), it's not included in the KS Rom, so Amiga can't boot.

Just a thought, maybe you've connected to the "false" of the three IDE ports? Also a master has to be there. No removeable drive, so CF will not fnction on buddha, also no CD drive driver is included in WB up to 3.1 (it will not show CD drives in 3.1 or below).

Maybe it's also not working. Does the rest (Catweasel) work?

Hope you get it working.

gehtjanx

If you have connected the board upside down you have fried the Budha part of the Catweasel card, you can't use the IDE ports anymore, but the floppy part of the card must be in perfect working order.

Regards

I have not connected the board upside down, just an IDE device which pin 1 was not marked. It was a disk on module who fried instantly with smoke and electric smell.

As far as i know, the IDE part is not autoboot for sure.

I have not tested the catweasel part as i do not need it for now.

The board is "working" in the early boot menu.

Hello,

Normally, it doesn't matter how you connect IDE things BUT: Only on 3,5" (bit 40 pin connector). Thats only data signals.

If you connectad (Buddha has one, Catweasle I'm not sure about) it false to the 44 pin mini IDE, it fried something, couse it has +5 V in the cable so you won't need the extra power cable as on 40 pin IDE.

If connected false, HDD will be damaged for sure I think. I don't know if Buddha can be damaged. Normally, the traces on the Buddha card woudn't be able for 5V, so they would probably melt. :wooha: I melted a CF card adapter one time, because of that :( Bt, Amiga had no damage, very lucky I was about that fact :)

gehtjanx

i seem to remember these things only had a 4gb limit, so try a smaller drive, also my Z3 wasn't auto bootable either

This device is TD64 compatible so there should be no problem with the 4GB limit.

Maybe there is something to do with mountIDE command?
I'm going to try an IDE CR-ROM to see if it does better.

Unfortunately, i can't find a specific manual for this board.

This one:

catweaselz2mk2.jpg

I have no idea what kind of setup you are running, nor the buddah,but are you aware about the tooltype for hdinstools in 3.1 = nothing shows up if you have not defined the right tooltype. (like scsi.device) I even think it applies for 3.9 (not sure) I know some use askdevice to select.

I would recommend to have a look with hdinst.lha. (aminet), and see in showconfig that the board is there!

Yeah, i am aware of that. I think the buddha should respond to scsi.device and HDToolbox is set up to look after it.

I have checked with Sysinfo for the name of the device loaded and only gvpscsi.Device (from my GVP board) is relevant. Nothing from the buddha.

The card is shown in Showconfig though.

you have a buddha_atapi.device for connecting ide things to buddha. Make sure, your CD or whatever mountlist uses buddha_atapi.device instead of scsi.device (internal IDE/SCSI).

I really don't know where the problem can be. If it not works, its damaged, so simple it is.

gehtjanx

Yeah, i am aware of that. I think the buddha should respond to scsi.device and HDToolbox is set up to look after it.

I have checked with Sysinfo for the name of the device loaded and only gvpscsi.Device (from my GVP board) is relevant. Nothing from the buddha.

The card is shown in Showconfig though.

I don't have any experience with it, I never had anything damaged with IDE cable put wrong. The board on picture is clearly labeled with one = red, make sure you don't overlook the ide cable to swap !

I don't think its scsi.device. My cd rom was buddha_atapi.device. Scsi.device and 2nd.scsi.device etc are not for buddha.

just take a os3.5 or 3.9 hdtoolbox IF POSSIBLE, it's much better as the 3.1 toolbox.

gehtjanx

I'm testing with a CDROM right now and there is no buddha_atapi.device.

As this board does not have a boot rom, i guess the device should come from disk but it has not been installed by the Buddha disk. Maybe i have the install disk for the normal bootable buddha version.

I will give it a try with HDINSTools.

The board bears clearly the pin 1 marker, indeed, but i was not the case of my chinese disk on module.

I`m sure something gose in the expansion draw as well

I have looked into an old IDEFIX97 disk and a buddha_atapi.device was there.
I copied it, and even installed the whole IDEFIX package.

Now if i run FindDevice (with still my IDE CDROM hookedto the buddha), i have a message about a missing semaphore from the buddha and that the IDE driver is probably not loaded.

Besided, i have notices that a commodity called BuddhaSpeed, find a buddha board and ajust the speed to 0 on bootup.

Almost sure i am missing an install disk or a proper instruction.

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:44 ----------

I`m sure something gose in the expansion draw as well

Indeed, i have something called BuddhaIDE in expansion drawer.

---------- Post added at 21:49 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

Perhaps i would do better finding a cheap ide to scsi adapter and use a big IDE drive to expand my system.:unsure:

Hello,

Sure, buddha_atapi.device has to be in DEVS drawer, but I have to look. So you can also manually copy it from the install disk.

It's a buddha flash version on the s line catweasel as far as I know. I have a buddha flash phoenix, but I don't like it much. What's an ide controller that, to the manufacturer is the best and ide standard etc, if no CF cards etc work. It's a shame I spend 50 Euros on that bad piece of hardware :unsure: Old ones are far more tolerant on cf cards etc.

so good luck to get it running, as I told you, it's buddha atapi. So install you CD Rom driver. You have a mount list in devs/dosdrivers. Open CD0 or whatever you called it with ed editor, there you have to change the device to buddha_atapi.device and also the unit 0 or 1 (master or slave).

good luck
gehtjanx

Actually, i don't care about the CDROM. I want to use a harddrive to expand my system beyond my 4GB SCSI drive. I was even thinking of CF.

So atapi is no good as it's for cdrom only. There must be a way to use a harddrive.

Hello,

OK, but if you see a cd rom, it is working! You wrote it's not working, we helped you and you told it's working, or got I anything wrong?So if it's working, it's a good start. For HDD >4 GB you'll need patch or OS>=3.5. You have to make a bootable drive and first partition not bigger then 2 GB.

You wrote it's amiga SFS formatted. Amiga uses normally FFS (FastFileSystem). I think, for SFS you'll need special drivers, but I never used it personally so I'm unsure here.

Also don't play with buddha speed etc, it may be out of spec of your HDD. So, it will never be possible to read it if controller speed or HDD cannot oparate with each other at that settings.

You acn find info and drivers to that card on AmigaHardwareWorld or the manufacturers site.

So please tell us:
- Your Amiga model
- Your System configuration (cards, etc)
- Is HDD known working?
- Amiga formatted? Where do you have formatted it?
- Can you install and format HD on other Amigas and hook it up to buddha?

If you don't tell us any info, and not your system and software setup, it's not easy to help. I donÄt know your skills on Amiga, so you have to tell us what you really mean.

PLEASE :bowdown: answer the questions and tell us EXACTLY what you want to know :)

Back
Top Bottom