Blizzard IV SCSI >128mb SIMM, SCSI not working

2E1 BZU

AmiBayer
Country
East Sussex
Region
UK
Hi all

Is this what I have heard about? I have just installed a 128mb simm in the socket on the SCSI board (Blizzard IV B1260) and the SCSI does not work...to be more precise, the Amiga won't boot with the CDROM powered up. However it all works fine with the 64mb SIMM installed. So, is there a work around for this or is it just a no go?

I can't fit the 128mb simm on the B1260 card itself as the SIMM is too big.

Cheers all

Hi all

Is this what I have heard about? I have just installed a 128mb simm in the socket on the SCSI board (Blizzard IV B1260) and the SCSI does not work...to be more precise, the Amiga won't boot with the CDROM powered up. However it all works fine with the 64mb SIMM installed. So, is there a work around for this or is it just a no go?

Cheers all

I've used a 128MB simm in the scsi board of a Blizzard IV 030 board, and had no problems. In fact I had two 128MB simms installed at one point for 256MB total memory but think it was a bit overkill for a whdload 1200 rig. ;) Scsi was working fine then too - I was using an EIDE Hard disk via a scsi<->ide adapter to boot off too.

Not sure why having a large simm is effecting the scsi.... does it work ok with anything smaller?

Thats a weird one mate, my Blizzy 1230 & 1260 + SCSI worked with SCSI and 256mb Ram (128mb on each)

I'm pretty sure it even worked when I had 192mb in the same config as you but I can't swear to it :coffee:

Steve.

Hi all

Cheers all

I've used a 128MB simm in the scsi board of a Blizzard IV 030 board, and had no problems. In fact I had two 128MB simms installed at one point for 256MB total memory but think it was a bit overkill for a whdload 1200 rig. ;) Scsi was working fine then too - I was using an EIDE Hard disk via a scsi<->ide adapter to boot off too.

Not sure why having a large simm is effecting the scsi.... does it work ok with anything smaller?

Hi Fizzy, cheers for the reply.. yea, it works ok with the 64mb simm, but simply hangs on boot up. :unsure:

Thats a weird one mate, my Blizzy 1230 & 1260 + SCSI worked with SCSI and 256mb Ram (128mb on each)

I'm pretty sure it even worked when I had 192mb in the same config as you but I can't swear to it :coffee:

Steve.

Hi matey! I dunno why it's messing around. I have heard differing things, from it does not work with 128mb simms to it should be ok...maybe there are firmware revisions that work and don't work with this configuration?

Mart

Not sure about the revisions, what version is reported if you type in CLI:

version 1230scsi.device

If you don't figure it out I've got 128mb Simms we can try in it when we do the Tower sessions :)

I should have an interesting project you might want to see too :cool:

Not sure about the revisions, what version is reported if you type in CLI:

version 1230scsi.device

If you don't figure it out I've got 128mb Simms we can try in it when we do the Tower sessions :)

I should have an interesting project you might want to see too :cool:

It reports 8.5 .

That would be cool to check out! I know 199mb is way over kill for WHDLoad....but... I WANT IT ALL....:D:D . Still don't know where I can get Mediator 2.1 cd from though :-(

Hmm, which project it this then? sounds intriguing.

Cool 8.5 is the latest version AFAIK so should have the most full support.

I understand about the Ram, I like to get the most out of my machines too (y)

You'll have to wait and see on the secret project though ;)

Cool 8.5 is the latest version AFAIK so should have the most full support.

I understand about the Ram, I like to get the most out of my machines too (y)

You'll have to wait and see on the secret project though ;)

:ninja:

and if the lights start dimming in Heathfield, I know who to blame now :LOL:

@AmigaFun,
Are you 100% sure that this 128MB SIMM is not defective?
Have you checked this particuler SIMM on another computer?

@AmigaFun,
Are you 100% sure that this 128MB SIMM is not defective?
Have you checked this particuler SIMM on another computer?

Hi Stan :)

Yea, the SIMM is fine. I can boot up without the SCSI CDROM connected and it reports 199mb (I have 64mb SIMM on B1260 as well). Noticed last night it would cold boot once with the CDROM switched on, but after a reboot the Amiga would not boot. In this state the following happens:

1) The floppy drive does not click
2) The cd tray wont open
3) There is a very brief flicker from the HD light on boot up.
4) To get the Amiga to boot the SCSI cable has to be removed from the port.
5) As soon as the 64mb simm is used in the SCSI card everything returns to normal.

I guess if it simply does not work then could I use the 128mb simm in the BPPC 1260 I got from you?

If SIMM is 100% ok you can use it on any card.

Two more questions:
1) is Blizzard clocked at 50MHz?
2) did you tried to connect +5V line from PSU to floppy power connector or use better PSU? Maybe you have a problem with too low voltage on +5V line in your system?

If SIMM is 100% ok you can use it on any card.

Two more questions:
1) is Blizzard clocked at 50MHz?
2) did you tried to connect +5V line from PSU to floppy power connector or use better PSU? Maybe you have a problem with too low voltage on +5V line in your system?

Hi Stan

The card is a stock 50MHz unit. I have a Goliath PSU but I cant think of a way of getting +5v to the floppy port. But it should be ok, shouldn't it, the 128mb simm should not draw a lot more than the 64mb simm? With the system running without the 128mb simm and SCSI it's rock steady.

I concur on the voltage drop when using the large SIMM on the SCSI board.

Remember those things get pretty hot after a short period of use, so they are power hungry.

Cleaning the Amiga card edge with a soft cloth (no lints) with some IPA can help the matter a bit, but the best measure is getting a PSU with a bit higher 5V voltage (5.2V on the Amiga power connector will suffice).

Back
Top Bottom