Installing cwb OS39 with winuae from scratch

And a big +1 for John's guides, they are great for both new users and experienced users who want to get more from their Amiga's (y)

Thanks guys and Pablo nice miggy there (y)

I would like to thank you too johnim. I've been trying to learn to do this myself and got to the page 61 of this pdf called "Installing cwb OS39 with winuae from scratch", where it says "Emergency-Disk is now ready for use".

Then, when I press F12 and then reset, I do not see the screen shown on page 62 of the pdf, but I get this error popup saying:

"Volume
AmigaOS3.9
has a read/write error"

Then I can either RETRY or CANCEL. Retry does nothing.. but when I click CANCEL I get the message above, then immediately after that, I get this message, and it goes fast and disappears, too fast to read, so had to film it and take screen shot here:

screenshot.PNG

What may be causing this? I have tried both, the CD and the mounted iso of the OS3.9.. same thing, same error.

Last edited:
hi nobrainer

hi you dont actually need to use the emergency install you can use the install full installation over 3.0/3.1 or empty hd option

i just put that in for completeness

so when you get to 53 skip to 63

did you make a copy of 3.1 install hdf

as you can start from there

also the later versions of winuae can auto mount cd or iso without software

i use 2.6.0 now try that

Last edited:
I've just been following this excellent guide but seem to have hit a problem I can't get round, I'm up to the point where I'm trying to install boing bag 1 but it's giving me an error that it can't see the OS 3.9 cd-rom, it seems to be correctly mounted and I managed to install 3.9 from it but for some reason the update doesn't see it, any suggestions please?

hi reset winuae

i will have a go using the newer winuae and see if there is any problems

Hi johnim,

Ok, I've tried to skip the emergency disk creation and went full install... same thing, while the OS3.9 is installing - the process and files being shown etc.. at the end when I get the installation successful, and reset in Winuae.. I do not see that OS3.9 image as shown in the pdf, I just see the previous workbench load up.. not sure what is going on, any ideas? thanks much!

hi nobrainer

hi you dont actually need to use the emergency install you can use the install full installation over 3.0/3.1 or empty hd option

i just put that in for completeness

so when you get to 53 skip to 63

did you make a copy of 3.1 install hdf

as you can start from there

also the later versions of winuae can auto mount cd or iso without software

i use 2.6.0 now try that

hi reset winuae

i will have a go using the newer winuae and see if there is any problems

Hi johnim,

I managed to solve my problem in the end thanks, I tried installing the CD-Rom support from the OS 3.9 CD and it overwrote my existing config which after a restart seems to have fixed it.

Installation is now complete (y)

Just need to work out how to get my 40Gb drive setup correctly and then get it all transferred to that :coffee:

hi no brainer do you mean the image on page 76 of the pdf

if so you need to change the prefs for screen mode as default its 4 colours and i changed to 256 just for image

also you have extracted boing bags 1 and 2

@pictor you can use my sfs guide for setting up the hardrive too

Last edited:
@pictor you can use my sfs guide for setting up the hardrive too

Does your SFS guide still apply if it's a IDE HDD rather than CF drive are the settings all the same?

yes mate just skip page 5-13 and change on page 27 to your hardrive instead of cf

yes mate just skip page 5-13 and change on page 27 to your hardrive instead of cf

Ended up setting the drive up using OS 3.9 as in 3.1 was giving silly values for the partitions.

Got WHDLoad and everything on now and transferred over to my A4000 without issue, working great (y)

Hello,

i have follwed the guide to install OS3.9 and CWB.

i have completed the OS3.9 part and installed Boing Bag 1 and 2.

i have also installed the 1260 libs and drivers for my accelerator card.

i seem to be geting software failure errors when i put my CF card into my A1200.

Also, how do you make a OS39 HDF file as cannot installed CWB without it and the intall keeps failing as it says i need a valid OS39 file as DH0

your help here is really appreciated

cheers

kyri

I also have the problem that i get Cache CDFS: Cannot open "uae.device" unit 1 how do i fix this problem?

I need a fix for it, so i do not have that every time i boot or reboot my Amiga CD32 + Terrible Fire 328, i finally
have a good working (99%) OS 3.9 hdf file, and when i get my backup 8GB CF i can flash it.

Last edited:
I also have the problem that i get Cache CDFS: Cannot open "uae.device" unit 1 how do i fix this problem?

I need a fix for it, so i do not have that every time i boot or reboot my Amiga CD32 + Terrible Fire 328, i finally
have a good working (99%) OS 3.9 hdf file, and when i get my backup 8GB CF i can flash it.

You must have a CDx file in Devs: Dosdrivers pointing to UAE Device/CD device driver, either delete or move it to Storage: Dosdrivers (CD32 does not need this the CD Rom driver is in the Kickstart)

Excuse the spaces otherwise you get this :D

Last edited:
Am also pretty inexperienced in the Amiga world and thought its time to dust off my CD32 and get using it! Very useful stuff, thanks

Back
Top Bottom