Solution for external Flicker fixer?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Have any of you seen the following FF/SD?

ARCADE GAME CONVERTER CGA/RGB/YUV/EGA to VGA GBS-8220

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ARCAD...-YUV-EGA-VGA-GBS-8220-Promotion-/250899701935

Looks like a very interesting external solution for any retro hardware you want to hook up to an LCD of VGA monitor.

Online manual can be found for this board here:

http://info-coach.fr/atari/hardware/video/GBS-8200.pdf

And the following post over at EAB shows it works with the Amiga:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=759262&postcount=16

(Following info. thanks to CA member eFrog)

They seem to work fine for conversion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARh1zfiKvGw

And how to hook it up:

Attachments

• GBS-8220 CONVERTER On Atari.jpg
    GBS-8220 CONVERTER On Atari.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 24
  • gbs-8220-to-Atari-st.jpg
    gbs-8220-to-Atari-st.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 23
  • GBS-8220 CONVERTER On Amiga.jpg
    GBS-8220 CONVERTER On Amiga.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 29
Anyone interesting in making up some Amiga and ST cables to work with this unit? Definitely looks a nice and affordable solution to me.

I already have :D

Works great for the miggy!

And now the blurb ...

Works on ANY Amiga with 23pin RGB port to ANY monitor supporting 60Hz VGA display (even LCD's).
Will convert both PAL and PAL Interlaced in any mode (including Super Hires) without any problem so it is suitable for most if not all retro games.
Also converts CGA/EGA output from old PC's and Component Video (YUV) from 480i up to 1080p.
Fully powered from Amiga video port (5v power adapter required for other input sources).
Full control over screen size and position using built in OSD menu in English and Chinese.

(Final picture taken from the last one built)

Last edited:
This looks very promising! I have been considering getting one for a long time, but there's so many other priorities for the time being :-(
Anyway, can any of our kind members that already own one try out the NTSC behaviour? Most of my miggies are US-spec..

Harrison that looks really interesting. I take it you can just use an Amiga to VGA cable to get this to work?

John

I don't own one (yet) but became interested when someone on the ca forums spotted a cased one a few days ago looking much like blankstare's picture shows.

Regarding cables, from what I've read you need a custom cable from the Amiga to the unit wired as shown in the wiring schematics attached to my first post above. And then a standard VGA cable to the display.

i have just brought 1 lets see how long it takes too get here

you might get 3-4 frames delay with this device (due to it's processing to convert the signal) but other than that it's an OK and tested device

i recived mine today and works ok

amiga board
pin 3-------red
pin 4-------green
pin 5-------blue
pin 16------black
pin 10------grey

do i need the resistors in diagram above or connect to the y pb pr plugs

Last edited:
cheers froggy for the links i have used an old 23pin connector from a rgb to scart and got the resistors and some multicore cable also a box for it will put some pics up when done

john

I have no idea what most of the tech talk is about here so can someone tell me in English please :) Will this work with a PAL A1200 on an lcd monitor the same as an A1200 would on an old CRT tv? and what cables would i need to be using (i have a video to rgb scart and a normal composite cable available). According to the manual my monitor operates between 56-75hz vertically if this info helps.

yes it will work you just need a custom cable for it which im making over the next few days, i could do the same for you if you get one

yes it will work you just need a custom cable for it which im making over the next few days, i could do the same for you if you get one
That would be cool thanks. Do we know if this adds any lag time while the signal goes through the board to the monitor?

keropi said
you might get 3-4 frames delay with this device (due to it's processing to convert the signal) but other than that it's an OK and tested device

but what basic testing i did i didnt notice any delay

Sounds better all the time, I dont use my Amiga as much as I would like but if I could get it on my monitor with my pc it would get a hell of a lot more use. I think im gonna have to buy one of these.

do a search on youtube for GBS-8220 and have a look nice little board

ohh if you doing cables john can you do me one plz and I`ll sort you out when I see you ;) :blink:

had my board for ages but still not got round to doing anything with it

Back
Top Bottom