CodeMonkey
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Hey guys. They are now here!

I'm going to pick up some jiffy's over the week but I'm in Uni tomorrow and Wednesday, I also have a lot of coursework due, so will need to ask everyone to be patient a little longer. I wasn't expecting them to turn up so soon! I'm a little overrun with deadlines etc. I will be able to start sending these out before the weekend is here however (y)

Between then and now I'd like to collect postages so will start collecting postages from now onward. I'll need to make a spreadsheet up to track the people that have paid though.

For those in the UK, postage will be £1.90 for standard first class postage. This includes posting with insurance up to £46, plus the cost of a padded envelope. (extra insurance can be added at cost but I will need to check on prices individually based on the total value of your items if you want it).

I have asked non-UK buyers to PM me to arrange their shipping seperately as the cost will vary based on location and will likely require more packaging and thus the item will need weighing before I can get a proper quote.

If anyone no longer has my paypal address, please PM me for it again. Once I have the payments and the Jiffy's are here, I'll start sending them out (y)

Also, once you have paid the postage, please PM me with your Amibay name, real name, what you ordered and if you could add your address again in the PM with these details that would be great. I do have everyones addresses but not matched to your Amibay names. There's a lot of orders here, and I'd like to be sure everyone is getting what they ordered before I start posting! :LOL:

PS. I have thanked Krikzz on our behalf for the speedy service and his time and patience with out order.

THANKS GUYS!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ORIGINAL FIRST POST:

This thread is for people who are after an Everdrive MD.

I'm after one myself and given the success of the last group buy organised by our very own Zetr0, I thought I would try to get another one organised. It also gives me great pleasure to be entrusted to take responsibility for organising this one myself (y)

About the EverDrive MD
  • Runs SMS games on Genesis/Mega Drive
  • FRAM for game saves (no battery required)
  • Mega Key function
  • Save RAM data can be stored and loaded from the SD card
  • Saves work with Genesis/Mega Drive and Master System games
  • SD, SDHC, MMC cards supported
  • FAT16/FAT32 support - Unlimited partition size
This also allows Sega/Genesis 32x ROM's to be used inconjunction with a Sega (Genesis) 32x

everdrive-md-top%281%29.jpg

Register interest below and once we have enough people who are definitely wanting one (minimum of 10) we'll go ahead.

In the mean time I will be contacting peeps and handling the general communique to try to get us the best deals! (y)

The EverDrive MD costs $78.00 (plus shipping) (thats £49.61 or 59.56 Euros) Super Everdrive costs £55.34 or 66.43 Euros singularly, with a group order of 10 or more we can make some good savings...

Assuming we can hit target of atleast 10 of each, we have an estimate of

SNES (Super Everdrive - No DSP) - £41.40 or 50.00 EUR

MD (MegaKey equipped) - £38.20 or 46.00 EUR

GG - £38.20 or 46.00 EUR

N64 (ED64V2) - £51.00 or 61.40 EUR

N64 (ED64V2 + CIC) - £57.30 or 69.00 EUR

*The above prices will not include a small shipping charge which will need to be arranged once these are in the country and I have everyones orders here. This shouldn't be more than about £1 for first class though to UK!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINAL DATE FOR REGISTERING INTEREST IS 22/3/12

ALL PAYMENTS TO BE RECEIVED BY 29/3/12

Confirmed Interested Members

MD

(1 Unit) AmiNeo
(1 Unit) Peter
(1 Unit) Snoozy
(1 Unit) Laudrup
(1 Unit) roberthazelby
(1 Unit) DonAmiga
(1 Unit) Gouldin
(1 Unit) Beaps
(1 Unit) darkxavier
(1 Unit) wmsteele
(1 Unit) clueless
(2 Units) Yod@
(1 Unit) scrappysphinx
(1 Unit) tokyoracer
(1 Unit) gazcbm
(1 Unit) subcon959
(1 Unit) mko
(1 Unit) consolepassion
(1 Unit) cmonkey
(1 Unit) Dbloke
(1 Unit) diskers
(1 Unit) r0jaws
(1 Unit) Tube
(1 Unit) SirClive
(1 Unit) Red Impact

GG

(1 Unit) r0jaws
(1 Unit) gazcbm

SNES

(1 Unit) Amineo
(1 Unit) Red Impact
(1 Unit) Peter
(1 Unit) Snoozy
(1 Unit) DonAmiga
(1Unit) fatbob_gb
(1 Unit) klargon
(1 Unit) mko
(1 Unit) consolepassion
(1 Unit) Random
(1 Unit) r0jaws
(1 Unit) SirClive
(1 Unit) Harrison

EverDrive 64 (v2)

Everdrive 64 (v2) + CIC

(1 Unit) alexh
(1 Unit) slk486
(1 Unit) fitzsteve
(1 Unit) klargon
(1 Unit) moora
(1 Unit) DonAmiga
(1 Unit) fatbob_gb
(1 Unit) gazcbm
(1 Unit) subcon959
(1 Unit) consolepassion
(1 Unit) Random
(1 Unit + USB) cmonkey
(1Unit) Dbloke
(1 Unit) Harrison

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FINAL UNIT PRICES

MD (MegaKey equipped) - $61.59 USD

GG - $61.59 USD

SNES (Super Everdrive - No DSP) - $66.89 USD

N64 (ED64V2) - $81.88 USD

N64 (ED64V2 + CIC) - $91.88 USD

*Prices do not include shipping which will be arranged once the Everdrives are in the UK.

Shipping will be the price of raw postage + a posting container such as a bubble envelope or small box.

Thanks once again guys for participating and helping to get low prices for everyone! (y)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

People I have received payment from...

AmiNeo
Peter
Snoozy
laudrup
roberthazelby
DonAmiga
Gouldin
Beaps
darkxavier
wmsteele
fatbob_gb
klargon
alexh
slk486
fitzsteve
moora
Red Impact
Clueless
r0jaws
Yod@
Scrappysphynx
tokyoracer
gazcbm
subcon959
mko
consolepassion
Random
cmonkey + USB
Dbloke
diskers
Tube
Harrison

Last edited:
Interested in 1

Many Thanks for taking on the project AmiNeo (y)

:LOL: No problem, just doing my bit for the members of my favourite forum (y)

Amineo don't forget me, i'm in for 1 unit:)

SNES!? lol

I think we need 10 of each type to make it worthwhile... We can do SNES ones too but we may need atleast 9 other interested... :whistle:

@ Red Impact - Did you want an MD one as well or is it just the SNES one you're after?

there nothing wrong with adding more to your order as this will reduce postage fees.

I would also suggest splitting up those that are interested into other groups, like EverDriveMD / EverDrive SNES / EverDrive SNES DSP1 / EverDrive 64 and so on...

the larger the order the more retrogate has to work with =)

if it wasn't for the wont of pocket money, I would probably plumb for an EverDrive SNES and the EverDrive 64.... sigh..... lotto this week needs to come in...... I suppose I should meet it half way and buy a ticket! lol

The EverDrive MD: A Quick Overview

We started off with a 2GB card formated for FAT, and placed files from the ROM collections of MegaDrive / Master System and 32x in their seperate folders.

MegaDrive & Master System Games

We started off with just the MegaDrive and MegaCD hook up and were very pleased with the simplicity of use in selecting the file to program to the flash RAM and then auto running the game...

We tried Micheal Jacksons moon walker - which as r0jaws pointed out is Karate Champ in better dress clothes.... about the hardest thing in this game is trying not to make wise cracks as Jacko saves these crying children... kneeling in front of him....

We also tried Megalomainia, much to r0jaws delight its a very tidy game, and one of my favourites.

We then moved over to the Master System, starting off with a VERY impressive Alien 3!!! and then experiencing controler failure with Alien Syndrome. from this awesome we powered off and started up for the main event...

32x Games

Plugging in the 32x Expansion and re-installing the EverDrive MD card we fired it all back up... and we throw at it (loaded) Mortal Kombat 2, a very impressive title, although r0jaws was cut to smithers by Baraka... on the first level... - it wasn't pretty lol.

so Onward we moved to Virtual Racing, and what a delight that is... while it looks a little rought around the poly's theres something very charming about it... But we didn't stop there we loading in some Virtua Fighter and Sol Deace!!

Lots of fun... but we wanted more... but first I wanted to know if Master System games would work with the 32x plugged in... unfortunately it doesn't - oh well.. its not a deal breaker!

SD and SDHC (>2GB?)

So we wanted to get more than just a 2GB card running, we wanted atleast 4GB as this would provide an near unexhaustive game library in one cart...

Since I had a floating 4GB SDHC, I prepared it for FAT32, unfortuinately the EverDrive couldn't see the card.... not a worry I then hit up the CMD and formatted the card for FAT 16 using 64k clusters.

Alas that didn't work as well.... so with a little google I found an update for our EverDrive MD's - you can click here to download the file

All you need to do is copy the BIN file to a 2GB or less SD card which has been formated for FAT16 - plumb this into your EverDrive MD and then select (tool-box >> OS Update) you then select the file you have just downloaded to update.

Since I am dishing out links - here is a PDF of the EverDrive MD manual, please note this is for a slightly older version, as such the new ones here are updated by SD card (not an Altera JTAG blaster)

How long does it take to enable SDHC FAT32 support?

Within the space of 5 minutes we had updated the OS on the EverDrive for FAT32 support, and the 4GB card worked straight away!

If I had a larger one Handy I would of tested it - alas I dont... although I am sure I have a 16GB somewhere LOL

Anyway... so were were most pleased with 32x Starwars neatly followed up with some Mega-Lo-Mania!

So where does the fun end?

However there is only one small problem, (other than finding the time to play all these awesome games) and that is the region problem, now the EverDrive is quite a clever bit of kit, however on most of the USA/JP only region games upon running them the classic - this game was not made for your system - bla bla bla...

So you will need to look at modifying your console(s) for proper region free-ing

I would suggest to anyone at this point to review www.mmmonkey.co.uk, particularly the Sega MD / MCD and 32X, there very easy to follow guides and prove most awesome indeed - especially the switchless mods (based on a PIC)

All in all I would give it a 9/10 Super-Stars!

stars-9_0.png

It does exactly what it says on the tin, it provides a mass game library in one simple cartridge, reducing the space needed to have everything in the front room! not only that but also playing master system games without another machine or yet another kludge is a real sweetener!

Upgrading your EverDrive MD

Now, for those of you that might be a little worried about upgrading their EverDrive MD - I am happy to do this for you, just let me know when we get to sorting out postages over the comming days.​

The Super EverDrive: A Quick Overview

Like the Everdrive MD we started off with a 2GB card formated for FAT, and placed files from the ROM collections of the Super Nintendo ES on the card.

The unit worked straight away Super Mario World!

DSP enabled Games

As you may know DSP enabled titles require a DSP to work, now there are not many of these titles that use a DSP - so before I throw up a list, here is what the DSP is all about-

The DSP is a family series of fixed-point digital signal processor chips, which allowed for fast vector-based calculations, bitmap conversions, both 2D and 3D coordinate transformations, and other functions.

Interestingly four revisions of the chip exist, while each are physically identical they do have different microcode.

The DSP-1
This is the most varied and widely used of the SNES DSPs, appearing in 15 separate titles. It is used as a math coprocessor in games such as Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings that require more advanced Mode 7 scaling and rotation. It also provides fast support for the floating point and trigonometric calculations needed by 3D math algorithms. The later DSP-1A and DSP-1B serve the same purpose as the DSP-1, however, several bugs were corrected in these later chips.

The DSP-2
This can only be found in the SNES port of Dungeon Master. Its primary purpose is to convert Atari ST bitmap image data into the SNES bitplane format. It also provides dynamic scaling capability and transparency effects.

The DSP-3
Assistant chip used in only one game for the Japanese Super Famicom, a turn-based strategy game titled SD Gundam GX. The chip assisted with tasks like calculating the next AI move, Shannon-Fano bitstream decompression, and bitplane conversion of graphics.

The DSP-4
A DSP used in only one game cartridge, Top Gear 3000. It primarily helped out with drawing the race track, especially during the times that the track branched into multiple paths.

So now you know =)

Now here is a list of DSP-1 enabled titles - if you have a DSP-1 enabled EverDrive you will be able to play you ROM backups on this card -

(click here for a list of games)

Play Time
heres a shot of Sonic the Hedge Hog on the Nintendo SNES

(click to zoom)

Interestingly this is a hacked "speedy gonzalas'" with a Sonic Sprite and he has been given the power to kick too... (for more info read up here)

And the most awesome Super EverDrive

(click to zoom)

Please note the way round the card is orientated - otherwise you could damge you equipment and the everdrive!

Upgrading the OS on your Super EverDrive
Now, like the EverDrive MD initiall the OS is FAT 16, however when an update is available to allow for FAT32 and thus taking full advantage of 4GB+ SDHC cards - you can download this from here

Unfornately I would normally offer my help in upgrading these before shipping, however 1. The new OS is in the process of being written and that 2. I don't have a SNES available for the task =(

Upgrading you Super EverDrive to a DSP everdrive
It is entirely possible to upgrade your SuperEverDrive to DSP-1 EverDrive, you will need a DSP-1 chip, which you can scavenge from a DSP-1 SNES game and a 74HCU04N (CMOS Si -Gate Hex invertor) - quite cheap and easy to get hold of... as well as a couple of sundry discrete components.
You can Upgrade you

Games Region
We loaded up an NTSC region ROM of Street fighter on the Super EverDrive and surprisingly after telling us it was not for the SNES we are playing on - it allowed r0jaws to continue to play on - Choosing Blanka he began to take on Guile.... Unfortunately for r0jaws Guile decided to pummel Blanka into the next centuary.... it wasn't pretty.... I am noticing a patern with r0jaws and fighting games ;)

Anyway after the epic battle (of fail) the game then decided to sit on the This is not the right region screen - and wouldn't let r0jaws play any more - obviously disgusted with his button bashing is my theory ;)

So where does the fun end?
However there is only one small problem, (other than finding the time to play all these awesome games) and that is the region problem, So you will need to look at modifying your console(s) for proper region free-ing

I would suggest to anyone at this point to review www.mmmonkey.co.uk, particularly the SNES console ;D - they are very easy to follow guides and prove most awesome indeed - especially the switchless mods (based on a PIC)

So whats the score?

All in all I would give the Super EverDrive a 8/10 Super-Stars!

It does exactly what it says on the tin, it provides a mass game library in one simple cartridge, reducing the space needed to have everything in the front room! it also gives you the opportunity like we did and play ROM's that were never released. This would get 9 superstars the moment there is an SDHC software update (y)

All in all I would give the DSP-1 EverDrive a 9/10 Super-Stars!

Again it does all that the Super EverDrive does, however it also plays those extra 15 titles or more - so thats a great little bonus, considering that some of these titles are quite high-profile releases like Mario Cart and Super Metroid
All in all having tried out one of these monsters it has left me wanting one as well LOL.... oh well - next group buy then....

Last edited:
Price updated in thread. If we get enough interest we should be able to get that down.

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:55 ----------

Okay SNES one added too but will need to check its price as it may be different to the MD one.

I would be interested in a SNES type also +1

My Girlfriend can get it for me for my Birthday :)

Are there different types of SNES versions available?

hmm i will also register for a snes everdrive,

therefore Snoozy= everdrive md + everdrive snes:)

So Peter and Snoozy want both MD and SNES? (Just to confirm?) (y)

yes thanks amineo, will this be costly? :nod:

Yes Please, one of each of the MD & SNES versions.

Can some one explain the differences in the types of SNES versions available?

As far as I'm aware theres only 1 SNES version available. But I've not looked deep into it.

The site only lists 1 however.

---------- Post added at 00:47 ---------- Previous post was at 00:39 ----------

Just had confirmation from our seller that hes up for doing us the discount on bulk orders again! So we need to get each type up to 10 orders if possible for the discount. Otherwise whichever doesnt reach 10 will be the price listed on front page + postage (y)

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:47 ----------

yes thanks amineo, will this be costly? :nod:

Not as costly as if you bought them by yourself ;)

Just a SNES one please AmiNeo I have all I need for for my MD!

The difference between the regular and DSP1 model SNES ever drives is that a regular one can't play (if I remember correctly) about 8 specific games due to the original carts having a DSP1 chip in them - Mario Kart is one such game that does and therefore wouldn't be playable on a standard SNES everdrive.

They can be retro fitted however you need a donor DSP1 chip! :unsure:

http://shop.retrogate.com/Super-Everdrive-SED.htm

The cart options list additional options for DSP1 support but the only option on the pull down box is no :LOL: So whether he can do these at extra cost, I am unsure but I can ask if necessary. Please be aware that this will likely add to the cost though, but if we can get the discount It may not add as much as you would think overall :)

Alternatively you can have someone solder one on at a later date, or do it yourself if you have the skills.

If anyone has any more questions or needs anything else, just holler and I will see what I can do (y)

@thread

I have added a couple of reviews on the first page for both the EverDriveMD and the Super EverDrive with all you need to know.

I hope that helps =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom