Large HDD Problems

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, can anyone tell me why my DH1 drive doesn't show up?

If i boot the drive using winuae then i get both DH0 and DH1 and all is good.

I put the hdd into my miggy and it boots up but i only get DH0

If i go into the early startup menu i get both DH0 and DH1 listed.

If i run dopus from ClassicWB and click DH1 it says please insert DH1

Drive is a 20Gb 2.5" partitioned into a 500Mb DH0 system partition and the rest of the drive 18gb as a single partition using SFS for both partitions.

On the DH0 i have ClassicWb 3.1 installed and on DH1 i have around 4-6Gb WHDLoad games installed.

I have also tried AmigaSYS which again in Winuae shows the drive and all is good but in real amiga no DH1 again.

I am using an a1200 with 3.1 Roms, Blizzard 1260 with 16Mb Ram (purchased a 128Mb but awaiting delivery) and an ATX 250W PSU with Ian Steadman's adapter.

Any help appreciated

Well i have no idea what the problem was but i seem to have solved it.

DH1 didn't appear at all in ClassicWB 3.1 or AmigaSYS although it was listed in the early startup menu but i have downloaded ClassicWB 3.9 and set that up and it finds my DH1 partition and all is good with the world of Amiga again :grin:

Sounds like it was a partitioning problem. Often WinUAE will access partitions, but than a real Amiga might not.

I guess with WB3.1 you didn't patch the scsi.device ? :coffee:

You wont see partitions outside the 4gb Window on WB3.1 if you don't.

There is a tutorial on the CWB site:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/tutorials.htm

OS3.9 by default loads a patched scsi.device which supports larger drives, hence why it works for you now.

CWB OS3.9 is awsome, have fun! (y)

Steve.

ps. as for WinUAE it uses it's own scsi.device which supports large drives. Under the add HDD section of WinUAE if you choose IDE0 instead of UAE for the HD controller you will come across the same faults found on the real Amiga's IDE...

Hey guys, Steve you've probably hit the nail on the head as i didn't realize i needed to patch scsi.device.

I have an hdf of both my 3.1 and 3.9 setups so will give it another shot in a bit and patch the file just to see if it solves the issue.

Hey guys, Steve you've probably hit the nail on the head as i didn't realize i needed to patch scsi.device.

I have an hdf of both my 3.1 and 3.9 setups so will give it another shot in a bit and patch the file just to see if it solves the issue.

Just like me, even when you find a solution you like to find and fix the original issue (y)

In fact, I have multiple CF's here with different installs since I get bored easily :cool:

I always try and go back and solve it if there's new info Steve.

Anyway, i reinstalled my CWB3.1 and patched the scsi.device with the 43.24 as shown in the tut video and my dh1 partition showed up however system is unstable. When trying to run anything within the os, Dopus, igame, syspeed or anything really it either just freezes or reboots itself with the power light flashing.

I also tried with the 43.35 and 43.43 and same thing again, either just freezing or rebooting.

As for Winuae if i select ide0 for the controller for my real hdd it fails to detect the drive i just get the insert disc screen.

Better use a better scsi.device like 44.2 of Doobrey or 43.47 from Cosmos.
WinUAE by default supports disks >4GB but real miggy requires a better scsi.device.

Thanks for the help mfilos

Just tried using the 44.20 by doobrey and again produces unstable system with the miggy rebooting when trying to launch any programs.

I think i'll just stick with the CWB 3.9 as it seems to work fine and supports my large drive without me having to patch anything.

I also had problems with 44.20. The machine would boot, but would only show the first partition. I had to switch to 43.46b8 and that worked perfectly.
I believe 44.20 is supposed to be faster than 43.46b8, but I'll take "working" over "faster" any day of the week.

Back
Top Bottom