How is this for bad luck.. iPhone 4s 32gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, people saying they lost their phone so they can have a new one and sell it before the new iPhone comes out, isn't how it's "supposed to be used".

Because of people abusing it, they increased the excess. Pretty simple.

Insurance doesn't work how you seem to think it works. They charge you much less than a new phone because people don't claim and don't lose their phone every 15 seconds. Basically you are paying toward the people who did lose their phones.

If it didn't work like that, your insurance would cost more than your phone - money to replace the handset + employ people at the insurance company. It's just the same as car insurance - you pay less in a year than 1 accident Wouk cost, but most people dont crash their car each year.

Fraud is fraud and shouldn't be suggested on a reputable site like amibay. It's hardly slander or guesswork when you people are suggesting it openly in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any crazy auto corrects or lack of detail (links to info sources)

Actually if your 17, and buy a £200 car and ask for insurance the cost would be more than 6x the value of the car. Thousands of these 17 year olds pay the whole fees, and then never have an accident. and yet your bills still go up even though you have 10 years no claims..
Why?
Who knows why but im sure they will make something up if you ask.

And if your telling me they did not factor in to the inital costs of the policy all these people that would "lose" phones before they priced them you must have a prety nieve view of how these insurance companys work.
for the most part a phone insurance policy for a £600 phone would cost you £12 a month for 2 years with a £100 excess which means you will pay More in insurance than replacing your phone your self would (presuming you dont lose the phone within a week or so of buing it)
"this is taken as an avarage from vodaphone and orange phone + insurance"

so really "i lost my phone, pay out i need a new one" is a stupid idea it makes getting your next insurance for your phone cost more, and its already less cost effective than just not having the insurance saving the premiums your self selling the phone and then buying a new phone.

and we all know the retail price is much higer than at cost charges so these phone companys will replace your phone for you for a mear 50% of what you paid for the last one and still make a proffit on that and a huge profit on the 1st sale. and a hell of a proffit on the people who did not lose theiere phone..
And your seriously telling me that they Need to jack up your prices??
they dont need to jack up your prices, but they found a way they could and make it sound like its not theiere fault. so they do.

Of course you can always add the phone to your own house insurance for about £50 a year which is much more viable. But then if you "lose" your phone your jacking up the entire price of your home insurance.
That methos is really more cost effective for your phone.
But John claiming on his home insurace is not going to jack up Tims insurance payments.
Your much less likley to claim on home insurance because you want to keep the preimiums low incase you really need to claim for something serious.

so believe what the insurers tell you about "fradulant claims means we have to jack up your prices" truth is even if no one ever made a fradulant claim they would still tell you people are and jack up your price..

and Even if they do make fraudulant claims and they some how manage to convince them the phone was stolen with a threat of violence, or it was not lost in a public area. or one of the other hundreds of get out of paying clauses they have.
The insurance company are still making a profit even with pay out..
things like what happend to the OP.. phone died because it sux. battery is not removable and cant keep out a bit of water.
they wont pay because it was in water. So howmany people like that pay fuill fees and dont get paid out. "more than the fraudilant claims that do get paid out i bet"
yet they jack up the prices.

And thats always how it works.

Last edited:
£12 x 24 = 288 + 100

£388 in insurance over 2 years for your £600 phone using your own example...

Clearly not paying the same...

Facts are, people are making fraudulent claims. Most of which seem to think they are entitled to do so (like you).

Same thing with car insurance which has gone through the roof recently and funny enough matches people claiming "whip lash"

Fraud is fraud, you can't justify it or explain it away. The op damaged his phone, that's life. It's not for someone else to pick up the tab.

Insurance system is the same as the benefits system... It cant pay out everyone.

Oh and with your car example... You completely forgot about the car you hit that needs repairing. Not the 200 quid banger you bought or the possibly dead people etc

Oh an don't forget they will have "whip lash" that your insurance company will need to pay out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any crazy auto corrects or lack of detail (links to info sources)

Last edited:
Legally if you are driving a car you have no option about insurance, never mind about whiplash claims etc, the insurance costs are way over the top for most drivers but especially the younger ones and they are ripping off the people who have no other option but to pay up or don't drive.

There is NO way that the insurance companies are going broke! they are there to make money and they do, a hell of a lot of it too even with the odd fraudulent claim for whiplash or anything else.

When it comes to insurance for electrical's or household items etc, you pay that so should anything go wrong or an item goes missing or stolen, it will be replaced. Unfortunately a lot of policies do not pay out due to the circumstances in which an item was lost or broken, so what was the point of taking out the insurance in the first place. Its because of these methods of taking your money and giving nothing in return that I would have no problem making a claim if I was in the same situation as the Original poster of this thread.

How many insurance companies have gone to the wall? None that I know of ;)

not really in the game of fraud :/

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

however, on a happier note, should have my loft sorted this weekend so can start organising and storing my retro collection!!

Most insurance policies cover for 'accidental damage'.

For example; http://www.directline.com/home/accidental-damage.htm

It's only fraud if you lie and make something up. If it's not covered under your insurance (accidental damage) then at least you've been honest, learn from your mistake and buy a new phone. Simples.

It's fraud if he goes and gets insurance now that it's already broken. Which is what's being suggested in this thread.

It's fraud if he goes and gets insurance now that it's already broken. Which is what's being suggested in this thread.

Ah right, well in that case it's clearly not the right thing to do! :)

I guess you would need to declare something of that value on a policy that's in place already? (which is what I thought he may have had i.e. household policy which can cover personal items outside of the home).

£12 x 24 = 288 + 100

£388 in insurance over 2 years for your £600 phone using your own example...

Clearly not paying the same...

Facts are, people are making fraudulent claims. Most of which seem to think they are entitled to do so (like you).

Same thing with car insurance which has gone through the roof recently and funny enough matches people claiming "whip lash"

Fraud is fraud, you can't justify it or explain it away. The op damaged his phone, that's life. It's not for someone else to pick up the tab.

Insurance system is the same as the benefits system... It cant pay out everyone.

Oh and with your car example... You completely forgot about the car you hit that needs repairing. Not the 200 quid banger you bought or the possibly dead people etc

Oh an don't forget they will have "whip lash" that your insurance company will need to pay out!

just a couple or so poiints before i stop discussing this..

1st of all.. I dont have phone insurance and wouldnt buy it simply because its not viable for me with how they have 100's of get out of paying clauses.
and i never said any one was entitled to claiming fradulantly. i was saying the fradulant claims arent the reasion your excess is high.

the car insurance was pointing out all the thousands that do not get in to an accident and yet paid the full price, and how that more than covers the ones that did have an accident.
But they still charge you "over 30" more every year even with your no claims being 10+ years. This perfectly potrays how the industry works.

then there is the payment of £388 of insurance to cover a £600 phone.
To you prehaps that seems like a great price, but the phone companys do not pay £388 per phone. the inital phone did not cost them £600 so now its a a simple matter of instaed of making a 300% proffit on 2 phones they are only making a 175% profit on 2 phones.
which is never going to end up in losing money, yet they need to jack up your excess?

Also. i dont see any one here saying
"take out an insurance claim now after the fact and claim on it"
So i dont know where you pulled out that gem of an assumption.

any way this is a futile debate. I know that the reason for your having to pay more excess is so the company's can make a bigger proffit.
and you "know" its because of a few fraudulant claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom