A4000D PSU Replacement Questions

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I created a new topic so we don't continue hijacking Kin's Thread.

Ruud said:
:hijacked:
@Heather
Have you found one that fits well in the case without mods? I really want to eliminate the noise my A4k makes as well.

@Kin
Sorry for the highjack, good luck with the sale :D
keropi said:
:eek:fftopic: :hijacked:

BEWARE!!!!!

most mATX psu's don't have a strong enough +5v line, be sure to get a sufficient Amps one!

:run:
@Ruud

I picked up a Blue Star 325W mATX PSU. From my measurements, it's very close to the same width at the A4000D power supply but only about half as tall. I'm sure I'll have to do something for air flow, but I'll figure it out.

@keropi

What's good amperage for the +5v line? This one is 28A.

Take care,

Heather

Re: A4000D PSU Replacement Questions

28A ? then it is OK! (y)
I tried to replace the PSU on my Grex4000 a4000 , I had bought 3-4 mATX psu's ~2 years ago... they had ridiculous +5v amps , and the amiga malfunctioned, especially in AGA gfx intensive games...
One great game to test stability is the ECS whdload version of KID CHAOS. If it runs OK without GFX errors, then there is enough psu juice (y)

kid_chaos_000.png

kid_chaos_001.png

Phew! Glad to hear the PSU I bought should be enough. I'll definitely let you know how it works out with Kid Chaos. :)

Take care,

Heather

To get better airflow in the A4000 PSU, first thing to do remove the back grill (stupid thing!) and replace it with a black metal mesh of your choice and a rubber contour for better finishing. Not recommended to the faint of heart or people without intimacy with a Dremmel tool.

Also swapping the original noisy fan with another silent unit or even an Evercool temperature-controlled one will do wonders for silence and reliability of the (new or not) supply.

Il dig some pictures from Motorollin, an old Amiga.troll member and a nice guy.

Marking the case for cutting:
1_3241.jpg

Front cutting where after you'll need to install a fan grill:
1_3606.jpg

Back cutting:
1_3608.jpg

Final back result:
1_3244.jpg

Notice the guy also made some lateral plexiglass cut-outs that are mere cosmetic, normal mod don't need that!

Another possible modification, but this time from another guy that replaced the entire PSU with
a common unit and replaced the back panel with hard card board!

Not elegant as the Moto's approach, but functional:

1_4120.jpg

here is my approach on the matter:

mod1.jpg

mod2.jpg

mod3.jpg

mod4.jpg

I never really finished it, I just bought 3 LiteON A4000D PSU's that have a 2A stronger +5v line...

Mate, to finish your hack/mod all you need is a piece of metal.

But as it is you have a nice niche to store some part while moving the computer around...

Or a safe place to hide money from wife! :shhh:

OK, one last mod. This one is a slightly better approach to replacing the original unit. But with slightly poor finishing.

1_4370.jpg

I abandoned the project due to weak +5v lines of the mATX psu's of the era... instead I did that ti LiteOn psu's I got:

30032007.jpg

28032007002.jpg

or this:

k-psu.jpg

awesome! I used the same thermometer to cover the empty space in my latest A4000D mod, to help airflow !

here is some older pic, nothing changed, only the useless media-card-reader was replaced with the thermometer :laugh:

645.jpg

here is the extra space gained:

646.jpg

and here a replaced PSU fan and a copper 50gr heatsink on the ppc:

619-1.jpg

Wow! Excellent stuff there guys. Unfortunately, I only have my current A4000D power supply, which still works, so I don't want to tear it apart to use as a bracket for my new power supply. I'll probably end up mounting it in the case in some manner then use a mesh to fill the empty space. I'll take pictures of the project and post them here.

I bought my ATX Adapter from AmigaKit so it has the switch built into the harness. I think mounting the switch will be the most difficult part. Luckily, I work at a manufacturing company that does lots of work with sheet metal, so I can get someone to build a small bracket if I need one.

Take care,

Heather

Thanks everyone! Certainly food for thought as they say. Not sure which approach I'm going to go with, as like Heather I only have one original A4k psu
and don't want to hack it.

at least doing the grill-mod if possible on the original PSU will help the system A LOT (unless you only have a 030/040 in it and some not power-hungry cards...)

@Ruud

I picked up a Blue Star 325W mATX PSU. From my measurements, it's very close to the same width at the A4000D power supply but only about half as tall. I'm sure I'll have to do something for air flow, but I'll figure it out.

Heather

Thread Bump.

Anywhere this PSU is in stock ? It is out of stock at Geeks, and do they ship Internationally ?

That is a RIPPER Power Supply, especially for the +5V rail.

I bought it quite some time ago and I don't know of anywhere else that has them. The past few weekends have been extremely busy for me but I'm planning on starting (and hopefully finishing) the ATX mod to my system this weekend. I'll post a photo booth thread here when I do.

I guess you should just search around Google to see if you can find a place to buy one of these. :(

Good luck in your search!

Heather

Original power supply in A4000D:
LITEON PE-3151-5
output: 151,6 W
+5V=/20A
+12V=/4A
-12V=/0,3A
dimensions: 115 x 125 x 170 mm (height x width x depth)

microATX PSU
Most microATX PSUs (available in my country) have quite low amperage in +5V branch:
Fortron FSP300-60GHS (300W) ... +5V 22 A
Seasonic SS-350SFE (350W) ... +5V 20A (together with +3,3V branch 28A, 125W)
Seasonic SS-300SFD (300W) ... +5V 20A

Fortron FSP300-60GHS looks like a winner. Or maybe Seasonic SS-350SFE.
Is +5V 22A enough?
(Blue Star 325W mATX PSU mentioned above has 28A.)
Which one will you recommend?

Original power supply in A4000D:
LITEON PE-3151-5
output: 151,6 W
+5V=/20A
+12V=/4A
-12V=/0,3A
dimensions: 115 x 125 x 170 mm (height x width x depth)

microATX PSU
Most microATX PSUs (available in my country) have quite low amperage in +5V branch:
Fortron FSP300-60GHS (300W) ... +5V 22 A
Seasonic SS-350SFE (350W) ... +5V 20A (together with +3,3V branch 28A, 125W)
Seasonic SS-300SFD (300W) ... +5V 20A

Fortron FSP300-60GHS looks like a winner. Or maybe Seasonic SS-350SFE.
Is +5V 22A enough?
(Blue Star 325W mATX PSU mentioned above has 28A.)
Which one will you recommend?

The more "A" (Amps) the better. So while 22A is indeed better over the Standard A4000D one (18/20A), the higher the Amps, the more devices you can safely put on.

I have done some google searching but I am having trouble finding one.

I did find find one on UBAY US, with the following Specifications.

Features:
450 Watts,
115V/230V switchable power supply,
One (1) 12-inch 20+4 ATX power connector,
One (1) 12-inch 12V ATX power connector,
Three (3) large 4-pin Molex power connectors,
One (1) small 4-pin floppy connector,
One (1) SATA power connector

Requirements:
microATX (mATX) case (E-Machine),
ATX motherboard

Product Specifications
Dimensions 2.25 x 5 x 4-inches Each Unit Weighs 1.75 LB Power +3.3V ~ 20A, +5V ~ 26A, +12V ~ 20A, -12V ~ 0.8A, +5vsb ~ 2.5A
I just now need to measure up the 4000D PSU bay measurements to see if it will fit. As always, my concern before buying is the PSU fitting in snugly with the Motherboard, something regular ATX PSU's do not do.

26A at 5V is 130Watts.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GREEN-450W-M...=ViewItem&pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item1c0a8c0d70#shId

He says he has more than 10 available.

What happened to that empty case I sent to you? I'm confused. I thought you were going to use that for this project?
Don't be confused. :) This ATX power supply that I bought is going to be put into the A4000 power case you gave me. The ATX power supply won't mount properly in the A4000 so I that's why I wanted to get the case from you.

Things are a bit quieter this weekend so I plan on working on the modification this weekend. :D

Thanks!

Heather

20A on the +5V is enough for a fully loaded A4000.

More is just to be on the safe side of things, not that all this current will ever be required.

Back
Top Bottom